GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the dealer can adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlights? All the cars around me are running their headlights long before mine kick on. My typical driving would have turned them on sooner too... The automatic works fine, just I feel it is too dark to still be on running lights only.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Does anyone know if the dealer can adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlights? All the cars around me are running their headlights long before mine kick on. My typical driving would have turned them on sooner too... The automatic works fine, just I feel it is too dark to still be on running lights only.
Call your dealer or a volt adviser...Very low odds they'll be able to do anything as I think they're intentionally like that to improve efficiency...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
just I feel it is too dark to still be on running lights only.
Then turn them on manually in such situations. Otherwise let auto do it's thing.

Also be sure there's no interference with R2-D2 on the dash.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then turn them on manually in such situations. Otherwise let auto do it's thing.
Not sure what you are referring "such situations". I am letting auto do it's thing. This is a nightly thing, not a special situation. Our 2016 Rav4 hybrid doesn't wait as long. That is why I was curious if this was an adjustable setting in the Volt. I will ask the dealer next time in, just thought others may be experiencing the same. The "auto" just seems to be long compared to everyone else on the road.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Unless it has changed for gen2 (doubt it, it's how every vehicle works them), the lights turned on long before they were actually needed to see the road, but at dusk for others to see you. If it's actually dark out and you can't see the road then yeah, they're not working as designed.

My lights will turn on in the shade of my carport in broad daylight. But it's not dark at all and certainly doesn't require headlights to see.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Unless it has changed for gen2 (doubt it, it's how every vehicle works them), the lights turned on long before they were actually needed to see the road, but at dusk for others to see you.
And, it's a GM, so daytime running lights are already on.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If they turn on too late at dusk, should be fairly easy to put a cover or piece of paper or tape over the sensor to make it think it's already darker.

As also mentioned by canehdian, my 2014 is the opposite, headlights are often on with just some shade. Which I don't really mind, but since the car thinks it's night, it also dims the dashboard illumination. So I find myself driving with sun in my eyes and the dash invisible. Sure, can turn up the brightness, but then the dash is too bright for real night time use.

I tried to place some reflective film around the sensor to bring it more light, but haven't got it to work as I intended yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts