GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights don't turn on until it's darker than I'd like. It seems like every other car on the road has its lights on before then (including other GM cars), so either their automatic headlights are turning on sooner or everyone is turning their lights on manually, which seems unlikely.

I could be dumb, but I don't see any way to adjust this myself. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it something a dealer can tweak?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
What model and year is your Volt? On my 2017 Volt the daytime running lights are always on until the headlights come on at dusk.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2017 LT. The DRLs are always on, but the actual headlights don't come on (and the interior displays don't dim) until it's REALLY dark outside.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I have a DashMat on my dash, sometimes the mat partially covers the sky/daylight sensor. Then my screen goes dark and my headlights come on prematurely. Have you added an aftermarket tint film to your windshield? Ask your dealer to check the sensor.

·
Registered
788 Posts
You can always turn on the lights manually. Reminds me of people who insist on commanding Siri to turn on the house lights even if they have to purchase special outlets and yell the command three times at the top of their voice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can always turn on the lights manually. Reminds me of people who insist on commanding Siri to turn on the house lights even if they have to purchase special outlets and yell the command three times at the top of their voice.
This is 2018. Automatic headlights should work - this has been a “solved” problem in the auto world for a decade or more.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I actually hate automatic headlights. Is there a way to turn that feature off other than turning off the DRL?
In contrast, I hate cars with DRLs and no automatic headlights. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people driving in the middle of the night with just their DRLs. This is extremely dangerous, because you have no tail lights!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't know a way to adjust the sensitivity. I also feel the same occasionally; At those times, I just turn on manually. The car beeps if you forget to turn it off when you get out of the car. But for the most part, the auto light works fine for me.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I actually hate automatic headlights. Is there a way to turn that feature off other than turning off the DRL?
In contrast, I hate cars with DRLs and no automatic headlights. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people driving in the middle of the night with just their DRLs. This is extremely dangerous, because you have no tail lights!
Volvo's don't have DRLs, the lights (front and rear) come on with the car, and stay that way. This is much simpler, and reduces accidents quite a bit. Particularly at dawn/dusk, and in the rain when most idiots don't turn on their lights and can't be seen.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You could try putting something to partially cover the sensor. Try more or less until you are happy with the setting.
Might use some of that no slip rubberized stuff from the $ store - various colors are available.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Maybe this is common to European/Swedish automobiles. My Saab 95 would turn on the headlights anytime the car was running. The only way to disable this feature was to remove a fuse. It was probably proven to provide better visibility in all conditions but I spent more money on replacement headlamp bulbs in that vehicle than any other car I have owned. It was a good thing it was not difficult to replace the bulbs.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Volvo's don't have DRLs, the lights (front and rear) come on with the car, and stay that way. This is much simpler, and reduces accidents quite a bit. Particularly at dawn/dusk, and in the rain when most idiots don't turn on their lights and can't be seen.
I do like the auto headlights which are very proactive in my Cruze but not so much in the Volt.

What Volvo does however makes even more sense, especially now with the move to efficient long life led's all around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
Makes me wonder if yours are operating properly because I have a 2017 LT and mine are perfect. They come on exactly when I want them to and vice versa. Mine has window tint but only on the side windows... so you wouldn't think that would affect the sensor which is at the base of the front windshield.

Mike

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Some of us didn't survive drivers who were too preoccupied to be bothered to turn on their headlights. The standard protocol was to flash your lights at the other driver to get their attention, until they realize they were driving without their lights on. Easy to do if you drive on roads with well places street lights.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
From 1989 cars in Canada had to have day time running lights come on when the car is started. In the Integra I was told it is 40% as bright as the regular headlight brightness. In the case of bringing in a US Volt to Canada, this can be done by the dealer upgrading the software. In my Gen 1 Volt the auto is quite sensitive and I notice the dash darken when it's in the shade indicating it thinks it's approaching twilight. Headlights are supposed to come on (full brightness) half hour before sunset and remain on till half hour after sunrise.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
From 1989 cars in Canada had to have day time running lights come on when the car is started. In the Integra I was told it is 40% as bright as the regular headlight brightness. In the case of bringing in a US Volt to Canada, this can be done by the dealer upgrading the software. In my Gen 1 Volt the auto is quite sensitive and I notice the dash darken when it's in the shade indicating it thinks it's approaching twilight. Headlights are supposed to come on (full brightness) half hour before sunset and remain on till half hour after sunrise.
It's actually half hour AFTER sunset, to half hour BEFORE sunrise.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Seems like it varies by locale See here.
Which begs the question….when Volts are in different jurisdictions how does it know when to turn the headlights on, 1/2 hour before sunset, 1/2 hour after sunset, at sunset, when visibility is low, all the time?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts