GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It looks very cool. The Volt already has systems that detect other vehicles and lane markings, if you get the forward safety package, but others have said that these systems don't always work well in conditions like heavy rain, night time driving, or where lane markings are worn, or, of course, where they are obscured by snow or sand, so there may always be limits to the technology. It could be useful as a back up if someone is distracted or has a medical emergency, though.

I would love to try it, but I'm not sure I would want to pay for it. I wonder how the price would compare to a good chauffeur.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Love the technology. But as Steve-o alludes to it's going to be expensive at first. Too expensive for the Volt, so I'd expect to see it in the ELR first. A great first step for the Volt would be adaptive cruise option.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
In June I rode in a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid with the Parking Assist System, and it does work. The system uses the sonar sensors in the bumpers to detect the size of the parking space (it will warn you if the space is not wide enough) and calculate the steering angles. The driver follows the instructions prompted on the dash display, controlling the accelerator (it isn't a "gas" pedal anymore!), the shift between Drive and Reverse, and the brake. The steering wheel rotates by itself (electrical drive) for both the forward and reverse maneuvers, and the parking is completed.

Even my wife, who has knocked two outside windows and dented the rear door in our vehicles while parking in reverse, loved how easy the system worked and wants me to buy this Fusion Hybrid if I don't get the Volt.

Future versions could even shift, accelerate, and brake automatically, so this system could drive itself completely when activated. And, in addition to the lane warning systems and a possible forward sonar, the future Fusion can keep itself in the lane on the highway at a constant speed, taking the curves as the lane curves, and slowing down with its regenerative brakes if it senses a slower vehicle ahead. Then we add GPS navigation and we only need to start the car and take a ride!

I believe Cadillac does have a prototype system in practical test. I firmly believe that a future Fusion will complete the phasing into a automated driving vehicle, or a real "Auto-Mobile".

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Cadillac has said they will offer "Supercruise" possibly in the next year or so. It's basically full range adaptive cruise control but it also steers for you to keep the car centered in your lane. I imagine it probably also works with GPS to only allow its use on highways, but that's just a guess. Exactly when it debuts and whether or not it will trickle down to Chevrolet is still a mystery. Plus this is still quite a ways from having a Google-type car that can take you fully from point A to point B, but I guess it's coming sooner or later.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1076922_cadillac-to-offer-hands-off-supercruise-driving-very-soon

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All great feedback. I didn't know that Cadillac had a prototype with more advanced driving automation features, though the Volt could be a perfect platform where the latest technologies are made available.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I really see no reason why it could not be an option on all GM vehicles. Yes it may be an expensive option but the way I see it, the more options the better. It is very exciting technology, reminds me of the movie I, robot where the female passenger almost panics when will smith starts driving 'manually'.

i

1 - 7 of 7 Posts