GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

PMD's (or WG???) latest Rant, this on the ELR (and I quote w/o permission, but anyhow...)

"This week, our "Quick Take" has us in the 2014 Cadillac ELR, Cadillac's extended-range electric vehicle. And let's get this out of the way up front: It's way overpriced. Way. Overpriced. Did I mention that it's overpriced? Okay, onward. The ELR shares its underpinnings with the Chevrolet Volt, but there's no mistaking that this is a Cadillac all the way. Based on the Converj concept vehicle from 2009, the ELR is sleek and aggressive looking, carrying Cadillac's strong, sculptural design cues from nose to tail. It feels solid and substantial (okay, maybe a bit heavy), but I like that in a luxury vehicle. And the interior is particularly tasteful, with a combination of wood, leather and microfiber suede surfaces - and all the features and blah, blah, blah that you would expect in a car in this category. (Although I must say I wasn't expecting the "vibrating pulse patterns" on either side of the seat bolster that caused a vague tingling in my thighs at various times. Once I figured out that it was the Safety Alert Seat and not a medical event, I was sort of able to adjust to it. I'm not sure if it's actually a help or a nuisance, but whatever.) There are some drawbacks, as others have noted. The backseat is a joke, and the trunk opening is exceptionally small, to the point that I found myself cramming my stuff in the passenger seat instead (which of course set off the seat belt chime because it thought my groceries were a person!). The ELR features a full driving range of 340 miles, the first 37 of them coming from the 16.5-kWh lithium-ion battery. From the pure electric mode, the ELR then seamlessly switches over to the Ecotec 1.4L gasoline engine. THIS IS THE REASON TO GET THE ELR. THERE IS NO OTHER REASON. You either buy into the elegance of the electric battery/gasoline backup system, as offered by the ELR (and the Volt) - or you don't. To the cynics who say it's just a gussied-up Volt, I say, it isn't, but fine, get a Volt then. The point here is that the technology in both the ELR and the Volt is a true game-changer. And I'm not sure why, but that message is not being delivered or received. Personally, I. Would. Love. One. -WG

"2014 Cadillac ELR: $82,135 ($75,000 Base Price; Ashen Gray Exterior; Kona Brown w/Jet Black Accents Interior, $2450; Lithium Ion Battery Propulsion; ERev electric drive unit; 1.4-liter internal combustion engine; Regen on demand; Selectable drive mode (normal/sport/mountain/hold); Adaptive Sport Suspension System; Stabilitrak stability control; Full leather seats with 20-way adjustable front seats, includes 10-way power seat adjust, 4-way power lumbar, 4-way manual adjust head restraints and 2-way manual thigh support; Full-speed range adaptive cruise control with auto collision preparation and intelligent brake assist, $1995; Luxury Package - 20" ultra-bright machined aluminum wheels w/midnight silver premium paint, IntelliBeam headlamps, rear cross traffic alert, side blind zone alert - $1695; Destination Charge, $995)"

This is basically a summary of everything that has been debated for months on this forum with the bottom line being that the car cost too much. But, hey, they liked the car, so thumbs-up for that!

You can read more here:

http://www.autoextremist.com/ (A Rant on GM marketing is on this page...)

http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/ (A continuation of the above quote is near bottom of this page.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder if GM reads many of these published reviews?

I was planning on getting a volt and then I drove an ELR. Now I am torn. The ELR is just so much nicer in every respect for what I need/want. The problem of course is the price... Everyone obviously has there own opinions as to what the improvements are worth, but sales data seems to agree with what most are saying (and anyone who googles "ELR" comes back with articles critical of the price and now ones that proclaim how terrible sales have been).

I still may end up getting a volt, but I have a few months to wait and see what GM is going to do about ELR sales.

I am fortunate to live in CO, where we get not only the $7500 federal tax credit, but also a $6000 state income tax credit for the ELR ($4400 for the volt).

I have gone and talked with several local Cadillac dealers in the area, and they are becoming increasing motivated to move these out. The best deal I have seen locally so far is a red with premium (78k MSRP) for $64k before tax credits. That makes it $50.5k after tax credits for CO residents. I'm going to wait until at least July to see what GM has in store, but that car is in Boulder,CO just in case anyone is looking to get one right now.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

I was planning on getting a volt and then I drove an ELR. Now I am torn. The ELR is just so much nicer in every respect for what I need/want. The problem of course is the price... Everyone obviously has there own opinions as to what the improvements are worth, but sales data seems to agree with what most are saying (and anyone who googles "ELR" comes back with articles critical of the price and now ones that proclaim how terrible sales have been).

I still may end up getting a volt, but I have a few months to wait and see what GM is going to do about ELR sales.

I am fortunate to live in CO, where we get not only the $7500 federal tax credit, but also a $6000 state income tax credit for the ELR ($4400 for the volt).

I have gone and talked with several local Cadillac dealers in the area, and they are becoming increasing motivated to move these out. The best deal I have seen locally so far is a red with premium (78k MSRP) for $64k before tax credits. That makes it $50.5k after tax credits for CO residents. I'm going to wait until at least July to see what GM has in store, but that car is in Boulder,CO just in case anyone is looking to get one right now.

-Chris
I've never heard nor read anyone say it is not a nice car, a really nice car! And at $14K off MSRP it's getting interesting. At $18K off it's time to talk.

How long do you have to keep the car to get the CO credits?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It is a beautiful car. The price has to come down though.

For the CO rebates, you only have to be a resident of CO, and own the car long enough to register it. At income tax time, apply for the rebate.

1,214 Posts
My Turn-

Heh, well now, let us take a look at the M.S.R.P.s of the entire fleet of PHEVs, PEV, EREV Super Cars and Super Luxury Cars!

Let's see if I can do this from memory-

The Mclaren P1 $1,200,000.00

The Porsche 918 $845,000.00

The BMW i8 $140,000.00

The Tesla S P85 Max $118,000.00

The Porsche S E-Hybrid $99,000,00

And now the cheapies-

The Cadillac ELR Extended
Range Electric Luxury Coupe $75,000.00

The Tesla Model S $69,900.00

Seems to me that no one out there in rabid automotive opinion land is accusing these P.H.E.V's that can cost a bit more then the Stunning Cadillac ELR Extended Range Electric Vehicle of being way over priced.

Why not?

Has no one mentioned that I can put two Cadillac ELR ERELC's in my driveway for the cost of just one heavily promoted BMW i3?

That I can put 6 BMW i3s in my driveway for the price of one Porsche 918 PHEV?

Well, no I can't, lol!

Interestingly enough, four of the top most expensive PHEVs on this list will limit production to less then 400 total vehicles, each, for this model year.

Good thing they did this or anti ELR writers would be screaming about a two year supply of these as well.

Heh, just goes to show...

I hope you can see my point.

Ultimately this Stunning Cadillac ELR Extended Range Electric Luxury Coupe WILL prevail in world markets as there ain't no other Super Luxury Car on the planet that can return these kinds of fuel economy numbers; miles driven versus gas burned-

Link Goes To The Cadillac ELR ERELC Page On Volt Stats Dot Net-

http://www.voltstats.net/ELR

Finally, Bentley Motors recently anounced that they were coming out with a PHEV version of one of their estemed stable of automotive machines.

Link Goes To Bentley Motors Review With Focus On The PHEV-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgoS4cGWetI&list=UUPLAYER_thecarconnection

Just wait till the rest of the unforgiving opinion writers and cost freaks get a load of the price on this Bentley Motors Product.

I kinda like Auto Extremist Editor and owner, Peter De Lorenzo (@PeterMDeLorenzo) parting words since he's is known to NEVER pull a punch:

"THIS IS THE REASON TO GET THE ELR. THERE IS NO OTHER REASON. You either buy into the elegance of the electric battery/gasoline backup system, as offered by the ELR (and the Volt) - or you don't. To the cynics who say it's just a gussied-up Volt, I say, it isn't, but fine, get a Volt then. The point here is that the technology in both the ELR and the Volt is a true game-changer. And I'm not sure why, but that message is not being delivered or received. Personally, I. Would. Love. One. -WG"

I'm actually impressed as this quote is from a guy who in March of 2011 wrote a book titled:
Witch Hunt: "Essays on the U.S. Auto Industry and the Blithering Idiots Who Almost Killed It"

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

517-749-0532

Twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt

·
Registered
13,942 Posts

-Chris
I'd wait until dec 31st as by then GM will be in deep rebate mode and you want it in the 2014 calendar year to make sure you get the tax redit, rather than wait to receive the credit in spring of 2016.

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
That I can put 6 BMW i3s in my driveway for the price of one Porsche 918 PHEV?

Well, no I can't, lol!
I can (1200 foot long driveway). But I don't want all that ugliness messing up our dream house.

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
Given that the ELR isn't selling like hoecakes, I think it can be a great collector car if you've got Jay Leno type money and an affinity to fill warehouses full of cars. I'd love to buy one to drive and a second one to park and sell at an upscale auction 20-30 years down the road. The sale might pay for both cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd wait until dec 31st as by then GM will be in deep rebate mode and you want it in the 2014 calendar year to make sure you get the tax redit, rather than wait to receive the credit in spring of 2016.
Yeah, I will definitely keep watching as year progresses. I think I've become a little compulsive, since I just made a list of the 23 ELR's within 100 miles (with vins) so that I can track sales over the next months. Good point about buying by dec 31st!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Given that the ELR isn't selling like hoecakes, I think it can be a great collector car if you've got Jay Leno type money and an affinity to fill warehouses full of cars. I'd love to buy one to drive and a second one to park and sell at an upscale auction 20-30 years down the road. The sale might pay for both cars.
I agree with this assessment 100%. Although I'm not sure how well hoecakes sell in your neck of the woods, I bet they sell much better than hotcakes :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I liked the test because it was really honest. He never let the controversy over the price cloud his perceptions of the car itself. It seems like other reviewers go "The seats are real comfortable, but it cost too much. The looks are stunning, but it's so expensive." Also, he's one of the few people who has said this is a Cadillac, not a Chevrolet.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I do see these once in awhile on the road. The car has spectacular curb appeal.

Wish I could afford one. I thought as a stepped up Volt, it'd be about $20K more, but at double the price, my Volt, which drives quite well is a bargain. I'd take both if I had the cash though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts