GM Volt Forum banner

Autocrossing the Bolt this Saturday!

6K views 88 replies 23 participants last post by  Volterado 
#1 ·
As I am currently a bachelor since the wife and kids are in CA, I've decided to go nuts. I already did the cross-state MD drive this past Saturday.
On the totally opposite end of the hyper-miling spectrum, I've signed up for a local autocross event in southern MD. I've never autocrossed before, but I'm taking the Bolt this Saturday!

Looking at the entry list, no surprise I am the only plug-in entered so far out of 140 or so entries. Lots of Miatas, Mustangs, Corvettes, Scion FR-S, Focus STs, and Subarus entered. Should be interesting. :)

#2 · (Edited)
Set all four tires up to roughly 45 pounds pressure minimum. Otherwise they tend to scrub off the edges of the tread badly.
If it is a standard SCCA event, you will probably end up in H street class.
That is mostly small hatchbacks and sedans.
Try to memorize the course in your mind when you walk it, and remember that it will look a lot different when you drive it.
Also, try to make smooth connecting curves out of course, rather then driving jerky sudden changes, this allows you to maintain the highest speed throughout the course.
Have fun! :)

#3 · (Edited)
Man, I should have signed up for an auto cross event while my wife and kids were in Europe. The come back next weekend.

Have you ever done any kind of racing or been trained on navigating curves and hitting your marks (are you familiar with the term apex). You brake before going into the curve, setup the turns by being as far outside as you can be, dip as far inside as you can go at the apex, and accelerate out of each curve letting the car swing back to the far outside (effectively making the curve wider than if you hugged the inside of the curve from beginning to end). Traction control should keep you from losing traction coming out of the turns, but most people don't brake early enough coming into the turns too hot, then lose control. If you haven't practiced this before, go find some YouTube videos and start practicing on every curve and offramp to get into the groove. I've been driving like this for years (except staying in lanes to legally not hog the road).

#4 ·
As I am currently a bachelor since the wife and kids are in CA, I've decided to go nuts. I already did the cross-state MD drive this past Saturday.
On the totally opposite end of the hyper-miling spectrum, I've signed up for a local autocross event in southern MD. I've never autocrossed before, but I'm taking the Bolt this Saturday!

Looking at the entry list, no surprise I am the only plug-in entered so far out of 140 or so entries. Lots of Miatas, Mustangs, Corvettes, Scion FR-S, Focus STs, and Subarus entered. Should be interesting.
Man, I should have signed up for an auto cross event while my wife and kids were in Europe. The come back next weekend.

Have you ever done any kind of racing or been trained on navigating curves and hitting your marks (are you familiar with the term apex). You brake before going into the curve, setup the turns by being as far outside as you can be, dip as far inside as you can go at the apex, and accelerate out of each curve letting the car swing back to the far outside (effectively making the curve wider than if you hugged the inside of the curve from beginning to end). Traction control should keep you from losing traction coming out of the turns, but most people don't brake early enough coming into the turns too hot, then lose control. If you haven't practiced this before, go find some YouTube videos and start practicing on every curve and offramp to get into the groove. I've been driving like this for years (except staying in lanes to legally not hog the road).
I've been a NASCAR fan all my life and have played my share of simulator video games. I'm thinking I won't make a complete fool of myself. ?

#6 · (Edited)
I've been a NASCAR fan all my life and have played my share of simulator video games. I'm thinking I won't make a complete fool of myself. ?
NASCAR mostly drives ovals and the superspeedways are all about the draft. Look for those windy road courses and try to watch some videos from the driver's seat on how they approach curves. Also at high speeds, actively look at and focus your marks (where you want to go). As soon as you hit that mark look at the next one. Your body and car will tend to go where you are focusing and looking (outside, inside apex, outside.... straightaway, setup the next turn....). Don't mash the accelerator to the floor after you finish a turn. You should be smoothly accelerating out of the turn and adjusting gingerly. A mash at high speeds might cause wheel spin through a turn if you aren't careful, even with traction control.

Does the Bolt have stabilitrak? If the track is dry, don't be afraid to use the antilock brakes to shed speed before turning into a corner, and with stabilitrak you should be able to accelerate smoothly all the way through a curve letting the car system do the work.

I learned a lot of this from a skip barber session driving a CTS-V around a race track. Alas, the CTS-V is much better for this type of stuff than the Bolt, but the bolt has plenty of low end torque, you might be able to keep up and beat mustangs and vettes if the straightaways aren't too long where they have the advantage.

This might be a great excuse to get a go pro camera so you can share footage here. Or get a dash mount for your smartphone....

#5 ·
As a former road racer, I can't drive simulators. They lack acceleration forces from the brakes and gas, which is what I cue in on. I always found that I could brake way later and harder than originally expected. With cars you will find the brakes won't last long until they are overheated, I raced bikes so that was never an issue.
One thing that seems to hold true is that braking forces get priority, so if you trail brake or brake in the corner and you are at max cornering, you will spin out. From gocarts we use to just set entry speed, then let go of the brakes and turn. Scary the first time, but it's faster. Have fun.

#9 ·
Regen should would great unless you brake so hard that ABS kicks in. Although since I don't own a Bolt and never autocrossed on, I dont' know for sure. This is all theory until Bro tests it out for sure.

#10 ·
As I am currently a bachelor since the wife and kids are in CA, I've decided to go nuts.
That attitude has never ended well for me.

Ummm..........

I could say the same and all I can say is...... we shall see. Try to remember that Kyle Larson has been racing since he was a kid and you ain't him. YOU should concentrate on keeping it rubber-side down. Bolt is a bit narrow for its height.

#12 ·
That attitude has never ended well for me.

Ummm..........

I could say the same and all I can say is...... we shall see. Try to remember that Kyle Larson has been racing since he was a kid and you ain't him. YOU should concentrate on keeping it rubber-side down. Bolt is a bit narrow for its height.
I guarantee I will not end up on my roof in the Bolt. That huge 960 pound battery in the floor will make sure of that. As the course will be on a flat parking lot with cones outlining the turns, only thing I will really need to worry about is to not clobber too many of those cones.

I'll get 6 runs, so I figure I'll take it easy the first couple of runs to learn the course, then go after it the last 4.

#16 · (Edited)
#1 Have Fun.
#2 Walk course as many times as you can.
#3 Always be looking way ahead, not the at the corner you are in. You should not be looking at or reacting to cones close to you, it's too late. This is especially true in the slaloms, 2 cones ahead, turn early not late.
#4 Regen is not your friend. Use the brake pedal. More Control More Betta.
#5 Smooth is fast. If the front pushes, you need to get smoother. Smoother <> slower. It means less spastic.
#6 Most events will have instructors or racers who have already run who can ride with you. Use this resource. Ask. It's worth it.

You are going to find out there are some really fast folk out there. You will find out that AutoX is mostly driver, not car.

Remember #1.

Car set up?
TC/SC off. Floor mats out. Car empty. Windows down. Blue painter's tape is great for numbers. Sit forward. Tires at 41. OEM tires aren't really very good for AX.

#18 ·
#1 Have Fun.
#2 Walk course as many times as you can.
#3 Always be looking way ahead, not the at the corner you are in. You should not be looking at or reacting to cones close to you, it's too late.
#4 Regen is not your friend. Use the brake pedal. More Control More Betta.
#5 Smooth is fast. If the front pushes, you need to get smoother. Smoother <> slower. It means less spastic.
#6 Most events will have instructors or racers who have already run who can ride with you. Use this resource. Ask. It's worth it.

You are going to find out there are some really fast folk out there. You will find out that AutoX is mostly driver, not car.

Remember #1.
Completely agree. If you are fighting the turns and working hard to hold it together, you're actually; working too hard and slowing yourself down. Going into the turns smoothly and exiting smoothly while accelerating ends up being quicker. There's a scene in Fast & Furious 3 Tokyo Drift where they are driving through the mountains - smooth is a thing of beauty, but I hesitate to suggest this movie as you won't be drifting the Bolt. But the scene early in the movie in the parking deck shows exactly how smooth and controlled gets you around corners faster than pushing hard and hitting corners too fast. Again, not suggesting you drift, but speed comes from doing the corners right - enter slow, exit quickly.

#19 ·
As ironic as it sounds, don't be affraid to try it with Sport Mode OFF. That will give you finer control of the power and could be preferable for autocross, according to the comments from one Spark EV driver I've read. You'll want to control the power just at the limit of traction out of the corners and Sport Mode OFF may help.

#21 ·
Sweet. Sounds fun. Don't hit all the cones.
Fixed that for you!

If you don't knock down a cone or two, you aren't cutting your lines tight enough.

HOWEVER...

Don't be surprised if you get cone hickies. These normally buff out. But nail one at 60mph, and it can actually do a little damage. I screwed up one of my brake cooling ducts on a Z06 by spinning the car out and hitting a cone.

#22 ·
First time you do a lap, don't forget to breathe. Serious, thankfully reflex will force the issue, but you might be getting light headed by that point.

Also, get an experienced rider to go with you. This will help more than anything else.

My hunch is that as heavy as the Bolt EV is, it will reward smoothness and don't go into corners too hot. Mass has inertia and doesn't like to change direction quickly.

You will most likely suck the first time, have fun and be safe (stop if you get out of control and watch for safety workers).

#23 ·
First time you do a lap, don't forget to breathe. ...
Ain't that the truth. :D
And keep your hands away from the windshield wiper stalk, or pull the fuse. Everybody does it at least once when they start out.
60 seconds of intense concentration while trying to stay relaxed is an art.

#26 ·
Just watched episode 1. Love it. Definitely "Holding it" is faster than "Letting it all hang out". In fact, any skidding means you are losing traction.

#29 · (Edited)
This is a great picture from Episode 3 of The Racing Line. With the Bolt, you don't have to shift gears. To repeat myself from an earlier post, brake early, setup the turn, cut the corner, accelerate as soon as you hit the apex, and traction control should allow you to ease into flooring it earlier than in this picture.

I love the line at the end of episode 4 of The Racing Line: Slower is faster.

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
Autocross is NOT road racing. You will go faster on the freeway getting to the autocross location than you will on the course that day, but at a road circuit you might well exceed twice your freeway velocity (if your speed limiter allows, which the Bolt does not)! There will be no corner on the autocross course that even vaguely resembles a roadracing circuit turn. They are nowhere near the same sport.

Your first day at autocross will be all about memorizing the course and trying not to be so nervous that you make a big mistake. I would suggest you drive what you think is stupidly slow at first and work up from there.

#38 ·
Autocross is NOT road racing. You will go faster on the freeway getting to the autocross location than you will on the course that day, but at a road circuit you might well exceed twice your freeway velocity (if your speed limiter allows, which the Bolt does not)! There will be no corner on the autocross course that even vaguely resembles a roadracing circuit turn. They are nowhere near the same sport.
This thread made me look up "Autocross" and then look for events in my area. I think I might actually go out to one as an observer to check it out. Might be interesting.

#31 ·
Agreed, you don't have time to think about your line through the next turn. You have to be a turn or two ahead or you are too late :)

Memorizing the course is definitely important, and decide where you want to be when you are walking. This of course takes experience on how the car responds.

Again, walk with experienced drivers, ride with experienced drivers. Once you get cocky and think you are good and think the car is holding you back, have an experienced driver drive your car :)

#32 ·
#33 ·
Ok, I realized I have a cheapo Go Pro knockoff camera, and I bought a suction cup mount for it. Just have to figure out the best place to mount this thing....on the roof right near the edge of the windshield? Middle back of the hood? Off the side of the car on either side?
I'm thinking off the driver's side door. Then I can tether it to the driver's side mirror so it won't fall off and get crushed or something.

#34 ·
Can't wait to see the footage.... please don't roll the bolt. I ended watching all 12 episodes of the Racing Line that was suggested by another forum member. Great stuff. Other than the immense weight of the batteries and horrible LRR tires, I think you can take off like a banshee once you are past the apex of a turn. Youprobably don't have enough time to go get some competition tires and rims, but if you did, the cargo area of the bolt would be great (far better than trying to bring a vette and 4 wheels to the autocross).

#36 · (Edited)
The interior of the car can freak out cheap cameras. So a roof mount or fender mount with cheap. This assumes it's a quality suction cup.

This is Roof with GoPro suction cup on our ZR1 (yeah, I looped her):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v8c2FIRbCQ

High quality interior camera in C5 Corvette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bca4GqEqdXo

GoPro on helmet Lambo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2WskQFD9uI

GoPro on Helmet, hardtop (CODA):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj86ntUMNiQ

GoPro on dash?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arWYS6_TU6o#t=94.040815

False Illusion of speed, GoPro mounted low to the ground, CB500X suspension test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrQutxvKEII#t=155.686173

GoPro mounted low give the best effect, but if you cone it... bye bye GoPro.

#37 ·
Just had the Bolt's tires rotated for the first time along with first service (which was pretty much just rotate the tires). Thinking I should probably do a tint job on the Bolt before the autocross, so it at least looks a little cooler.

#45 ·
So I was just told by the organizer of the event that the Bolt is not eligible to complete in SCCA sanctioned events due to height/weight ratio limitations! :eek: Josh Tavel, build a Bolt variant that is eligible for SCCA events!

Despite the ineligibility, the event organizer said he'd let me run the Bolt since it has such a low center of gravity. But he told me if he deems the Bolt is too unstable, he'll end my day of autocrossing.

Because I will likely be going as fast as a tortoise (compared to the other guys), I'll probably be just fine. :)

#47 ·
I believe they will accept the Bolt and classify it HS. It's very new. Some cars are banned because with sticky tires, they can roll if you loop them. Last I heard: Ford Fiesta (non-ST), Dodge Caliber, Fiat 500, GEO Tracker, Suzuki Sidekick, Jeep CJ Series, MINI Countryman, Nissan Juke, Suzuki Samurai, Scion xB (04-06), and Scion iQ.

#49 · (Edited)
Does the Bolt have stability management? If so, you'll want that OFF. I know in the volt, if you press and hold the T/C button, it'll disable the T/C, then about 5-seconds later the STM. It's been the same in my previous GM vehicles too, so I'm betting it's the same or similar in the Bolt. STM will fight you hard in the corners.

Also, just for added fun, see if a friend can tag along, to record your run from the sidelines. I'd LOVE to see that footage! It's always cool to see oddball-for-a-track cars running them.

#51 ·
I disagree. While driving a CTS-V around a race track, I got to do an exercise with stabilitrak on and stabilitrak off, and with stabilitrak on I was able to control the vehicle better around corners, especially if you have to make any sort of sudden braking and quick turn move that would normally wipe you out.

#56 ·
So I got the suction mount for my ghetto GoPro camera. Think I'm gonna go with the side mount option. Will let me see how close to the cones I get (or how many I clobber on the left side).

#57 ·
I think it's more fun to watch video taken inside the car, from over your shoulder. Make sure you can see the instruments. Gives you a chance to go back and see how fast (or slow) you were actually going.

#58 ·
I can try the roof mount too.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.