GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn’t find too many videos of a Gen 1, so figured I would post some from this weekend. Mods are a Whiteline rear sway, and some BfGoodrich Comp-2 A/S tires in the stock size. I’ve had the car for about a year and it is pretty much free from the gas savings commuting to school. I have been very impressed with what $10k will buy. It was a 2014 premium with 48k miles. I went with the A/S tires to compromise grip with wear and fuel economy for school. The Fiesta STs were killing it on their 200 treadwear tires in the dry, but when the field was leveled due to the rain I was down to .3 seconds on some of them. I ran a second and a half faster than the only other electric which was a Model 3. The model 3 beat me in the dry conditions.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
You shouldn't do that to Model 3 owners. It's just not nice! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
You shouldn't do that to Model 3 owners. It's just not nice! :eek:
What percent is it the driver and
what percent is it the car (power, AWD|FWD|RWD, customization to suspension... , and tires)?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
What percent is it the driver and
what percent is it the car (power, AWD|FWD|RWD, customization to suspension... , and tires)?
True. One autocross I was at a Toyota four door sedan (looked like his Mom's car) was beating a Mitsubishi Sports coupe with a big rear wing and a Porsche (can't remember model but that's irrelevant). Not good optics for the casual observer. Very embarrassing for two drivers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on the situation. The Model 3 is clearly a faster car, but he wasn't a better driver. I also beat two Corvettes in the dry conditions. If I had been in one of my Corvettes I am sure the times would have been much faster. The mods I'm not sold on minus maybe a few things and tires. I've outrun a ZR1 on the track in a base Z51 Corvette before and that car is better in every way for track conditions. Tires, suspension, power, even gear ratios of the transmission. A poor driver might beat me in a better car, but most likely they won't on something like autocross. Road course is going to amplify shortcomings to a car a lot more than autocross will.

I've had more than a few customers tell me they are building a "track car" with full supercharger, 700 HP, coil overs, etc. I ask them what class they are racing and they can't answer because in most "bench racer's minds" you are building the maximum money can buy when actual classing and going fast is a lot more complicated than that. A properly setup Corvette with 400-500 rwhp could beat a 700 rwhp Corvette that is overpowering the chassis, brakes, and cooling system for no reason. I always work from a point of stock and then as I am outdriving the car make changes, but of course within whatever guidelines a particular class allows for in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Depends on the situation. The Model 3 is clearly a faster car, but he wasn't a better driver. I also beat two Corvettes in the dry conditions. If I had been in one of my Corvettes I am sure the times would have been much faster. The mods I'm not sold on minus maybe a few things and tires. I've outrun a ZR1 on the track in a base Z51 Corvette before and that car is better in every way for track conditions. Tires, suspension, power, even gear ratios of the transmission. A poor driver might beat me in a better car, but most likely they won't on something like autocross. Road course is going to amplify shortcomings to a car a lot more than autocross will.

I've had more than a few customers tell me they are building a "track car" with full supercharger, 700 HP, coil overs, etc. I ask them what class they are racing and they can't answer because in most "bench racer's minds" you are building the maximum money can buy when actual classing and going fast is a lot more complicated than that. A properly setup Corvette with 400-500 rwhp could beat a 700 rwhp Corvette that is overpowering the chassis, brakes, and cooling system for no reason. I always work from a point of stock and then as I am outdriving the car make changes, but of course within whatever guidelines a particular class allows for in the first place.
Thanks for the details. Good point about the different types of racing amplifying the factors involved.

My original point was is that you can't make anecdotal statements about taking 1 car and beating another car with a *different* driver. ie. Volt beating TM3

The only valid comparison, IMO, is if the same driver is driving multiple cars and only have they've had time to get familiar with each car.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts