1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nissan seems bent on keeping Chademo alive in the US. The new leaf was a perfect opportunity for them to move to CCS. They would have been abandoning the old Leafs, but those will be mostly useless in 5 years anyway. It's too bad because we really need standardization.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
This is actually quite fantastic. Would make things so much easier.

The articles says the product will work with older cars that are CCS equipped but I'm not sure there are older cars that have CCS. Anyway, the limitation is probably due to the communications protocol. I'm not sure but I think CHAdeMO has moved or is moving to two way communication. It's possible it might be supported in the future.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Not sure what this solves. The problem is not authenticating the car. It's authenticating the user, the payment system, and a valid account. That's where the different current networks come in. The back end infrastructure. Who owns and maintains the equipment and network. No-one wants to pay the credit card fees.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
This sounds like a great idea, especially if it could become a universal system. Would be great if it could cover the Level 2 charging stations as well. I recently used the Charge Point phone app and its new Apple Wallet integration to wirelessly activate a charge station, and that was also relatively quick and convenient. But nothing is more convenient than just plugging in.

Maybe they could come up with a system where the local electric utility company uses this data to tack your charge session usage on to your residential utility bill. Then the station owner would not have to be billed for the electricity usage and it would be legal to bill the driver for actual electricity consumption.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Not sure what this solves. The problem is not authenticating the car. It's authenticating the user, the payment system, and a valid account. That's where the different current networks come in. The back end infrastructure. Who owns and maintains the equipment and network. No-one wants to pay the credit card fees.
It's convenient for the user. You just plug the vehicle in and the charger system verifies the vehicle and charges the user's account. No having to find your charger card or fish out a credit card and enter a PIN. From the charging company side it simplifies by not having to maintain individual charge accounts. It won't affect issues of owing or maintaining the chargers but it's not designed for that.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The articles says the product will work with older cars that are CCS equipped but I'm not sure there are older cars that have CCS. Anyway, the limitation is probably due to the communications protocol.
I'm sure they mean that it can fall back to a credit card, or a prox-card linked to an established account.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Not sure what this solves.
The "burden" of having to slot or wave a prox card at a screen, as far as I can tell. I certainly agree that THIS PART isn't the thing I would be pining over vs Supercharger. 120KW, sure. 8+ bays at a station, sure. A carefully mapped network that puts the longest stretch about 150 miles from the next in a predictable manner and automatic planning to account for routing and timing for stops for charging would be awesome. Not having to pull out a wallet or phone to turn "turn on the pump" seems like the least of all possible steps forward.

No-one wants to pay the credit card fees.
Still gonna have those unless they make you pre-pay with a check. Can cut down on the per-transaction costs by doing your own accounting and billing on a per-period basis, but that is a matter of actually doing the accounting, not the elimination of the prox card.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I don't have an issue with carrying a card to swipe at the charger but around here there are a bunch of small networks and each require you to sign up and carry their card. If you go on a trip and find a charger that you don't have a card for, you're **** out of luck. You're not charging there. Gets very frustrating...
There needs to be some standardization.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I don't have an issue with carrying a card to swipe at the charger but around here there are a bunch of small networks and each require you to sign up and carry their card. If you go on a trip and find a charger that you don't have a card for, you're **** out of luck. You're not charging there. Gets very frustrating...
There needs to be some standardization.
No QR code with the link to their phone app on the charger? No toll-free number to call to set up a session?

And I'm not sure that this solution is really going to help unless alllllll the charger networks volunteer/are forced to participate in the scheme, else it'll be exactly the same "Sorry, this network doesn't support Autocharge". And you can bet there won't be a rush because supporting it isn't going to be free to the charging networks either. They'll need compatible equipment at least (which means money spent on replacing existing gear rather than maintenance and buildout of new locations), and probably have to pay a license fee to whomever is came up with this standard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts