GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doesn't seem so. "Auto writer" Andy Stonehouse: 3 [email protected] = 13mi. charge. Can't drive up a steep grade. No regen display. CO has $13.5K state tax credit!

I wanted to like Andy, but I think he did himself a disservice by needlessly coming off as so clueless. If he had spent a little time with the user manual, talking with owners in the area, and doing some google searches I think he would have gained a lot of insight and had a completely different experience. Mr Stonehouse has won awards for his auto writing in the past after all. Maybe this was a last minute rush job that comes off as a hack job as a result of his not being able to do the above.

On using a 240v charger: "a three-hour charge got me … 14 miles of electric range".

Possibilities: He can't tell time, or he inhabits a space/time warp where 3 Andy Hours = 1 real hour, or his charge station had a glitch and stopped working after one hour, or he was charging at 120v not 240v.

On steep grades: "We took a trip up to Loveland on Sunday and, given that the battery pack was discharged by the time I hit Genesee Hill, the tiny engine was screaming for mercy on the steep bits and even began ominously flashing “Power Reduced” as we crested the steepest hills."

Possibilities: He put the car into Mountain Mode *after* depleting the battery (rather than before), though based on his other comments I'm doubtful he even knew there is a Mountain Mode, much less when to engage it.

On lack of a Tach: "There's also no tachometer to indicate what's going on. We did limp along at highway speeds, thankfully, all the way up to 11,000 feet."

Possibilities: He did not read the owners manual about how to use the Volt's Mountain Mode (see above) and he didn't have a clue about how the gas engine is an electric generator that operates within a narrow RPM range and that it was pegged at the top of that range while trying to overcompensate for an underperforming driver.

On no regen display: "And on the ride down, though the battery monitor did not show this, the car got a serious recharge from the kinetic brakes"

Possibilities: He never noticed there are TWO dash LCD screens, or he did not know how to use the center dash power flow monitor, or he didn't have time to read the owner's manual or learn anything about a car he was going to review because reading is for dummies.

On the Colorado state tax credit: "there's a $13,500 Colorado state tax credit".

Possibilities: Colorado has raised their $6k state tax credit in the last few days, or he is unaware of Google search results for "colorado ev tax credit", or he's cluelessness is broad.

I think Andy really tried at times to point out some good things about the Volt: "it's a revolutionary and absolutely silent and seamless machine, with relative comfort", "Unlike the Leaf, .... the tiny, 84-HP 1.4-liter engine really does kick in and can then extend your range considerably", "it's a good looking vehicle", "Very Star Trek, indeed"

Saddly, I don't think reviewing new, paradigm shifting auto technology is his strong suite. Perhaps he'll get some help from readers who own a Volt, though lack of a Comment section limits this possibility, intentionally or not. Very disappointing, indeed.

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20120427/NEWS/120429812/1078&ParentProfile=1055

Mug Drinkware Tableware Font

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Yep mostly an uninformed writer not knowing how to use the car. Summit daily allows user articles.. maybe I'll have to write a rebuttal article.

Been on that exact trip and if you use mountain mode you can fly up the hills.

Recharging was probably fighting with a blink or other charger, without knowing what he was doing (said a call to india) and probably only a fraction of what he though he was getting (like they gave him an hour for free.. but he was still plugged in). On the other hand, if he charged right near i70/470, 17miles up the first set of steep hills (miles at 6% grade) might be correct.

The 13,500 is probably the fed 7500 + 6000 = 13,500 effective total (just a mix of fed and CO)

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
This guy has a drivers license? Guess he missed Driver's Ed too.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I pointed out his errors already and he's a friendly guy. He's going to write a followup article with my input when he gets a chance.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Auto Writer Andy Stonehouse: Mensa Material? Doesn't seem so.
Thank you Steverino for analysis and counterpoint.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I pointed out his errors already and he's a friendly guy. He's going to write a followup article with my input when he gets a chance.
Thanks.. always better to have them correct themselves..
I had already started a response.. but maybe I'll write him and offer him another drive.
Oddly I have the actual paper right here... (I'm in summit county today :)

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he does, please let me know so I can similarly write a followup. It seemed like he has a case of self-inflicted cluelessness rather than an ignorant anti-Volt agenda. The result was the same however — more inaccurate information fed to the public about the Volt.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Andy is probably the kind that says the apps on his iPhone or iPad are running slow or lock up because he doesn’t know how to close running apps. That type of person leaves the apps running, using up memory and slowing down the device.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I think I need to talk to you about my Samsung Skyrocket... ;-)

Andy is probably the kind that says the apps on his iPhone or iPad are running slow or lock up because he doesn’t know how to close running apps. That type of person leaves the apps running, using up memory and slowing down the device.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts