GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
20,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a survey from"Strategic Vision". Stopped at question 18: MPG. Yup, just two digits can be entered. I called them and said there was a problem with their survey. Asked what it was, I said just two digits can be entered for MPG. They answered, "Yes, we just want the MPG". I told them I have a Chevy Volt and am getting triple digit MPG. There was silence and then, "Wow!" I told him it was like sending out a survey on TV's that assumes everyone has a 4:3 tube TV, when I have a widescreen 16:9 LED or plasma TV.

If you get a survey that's stuck in 1910, call them. They just don't realize the world is changing.

got_mpg_bumpersticker1.jpg

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I just put my mileage down (263) with the 2 in the space next to the boxes. Maybe if it is machine read, they will only get 63. Oh well. :)

·
Administrator
20,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In that case, perhaps 299 or 199.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Maybe you could suggest for now that EREVs use "99" and pure EVs use "00", so the authors of the survey know what type of vehicle is being entered. But if they plan to be running that survey for the next ten years for the remaing gas powered vehicles, they must add two more digits. The Chevy Volt is the first to have triple digit MPG, but there will be others!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think the point here is that the questions on the survey need to be updated, not the input space.

Asking the MPG of a Volt is kind of like asking the 0 to 60MPH time for one of those "Neighborhood Cars" that won't go over 30 or 40MPH. Sure, maybe if you have it go down a very long hill it might get to 60MPH, but the result is meaningless.

In the same way, while the difference between a 30MPG car and a 40MPG is meaningful, the difference between a 40MPG car and the 137MPG Volt is meaningless for most. In the first case, you can get a good idea of the annual expenses of the car, and the environmental impact. In the second case, you have no clue about cost or environmental impact. In the 30/40MPG cars, you know you'll get something reasonably close to 30 or 40MPG. But with the 40MPG car and the Volt, you're not going to get 137MPG. Maybe you'll get 50MPG if you do lots of long trips. Maybe you'll use a gallon or two of gas once a year to prevent it from going stale. Those two costs and environmental impacts from the same car are extremely different.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ran into similar issues with JD Powers. They clearly don't understand the Volt. Things like range for a full tank of gas were limited to 500 miles, for example.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I ran into similar issues with JD Powers. They clearly don't understand the Volt. Things like range for a full tank of gas were limited to 500 miles, for example.
This one is quite similar -- on the one hand, they have an inappropriate question; on the other, you're trying to put inappropriate data into the form. It is their fault, for not having any way for you enter valid data -- but on the other hand, the Volt cannot go over 500 miles on a full tank of gas without using another source of energy. So it's a really matter of different or re-phrased questions, not what they let you input.

We're in a strange new world here.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I took a different survey where the max for MPG was 150. I would have gone higher, but given the limitation I put 150.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It's not just limited to North America. I monitor my fuel usage on Spritmonitor.de and the last time I entered my latest fueling it said "You have one or more fueling entries with unrealistic consumption values!" That's for a 1.2L/100km (196USmpg) value. Another burden of first adopters I guess, emailing these different organizations letting them know they are out of date....:cool:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have had a few problems with most surveys and a lot o problems with some. I have decided to pre read the surveys before deciding to complete them. The ones that ask more than one question that dosent allow an approiate answer for the Volt I toss.

The best survey was the one that gave us an Ipod touch to video recorde the answers as we wished to give them with no limits.

The multiple choice surveys that do not have a N/A or none ov the above options, or wont let you answer 0, to how much gas you have used last month, are too frustrating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts