GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Question on a 2013 Volt - Wondering if anyone else has had an issue where the automatic heated seats have stopped working properly. The heated seats work if I manually operate the console buttons. When I power on the car, the heated seats do the normal '3-2-1-0' sequence of lights during the startup. The heated seats will run during a preheat. But the heated seats don't stay on when I turn the car on, even if it's 20F outside and I have not preheated the car. They used to, staying on high and dropping to medium, low and off as the car warmed up inside, but this winter I haven't seen them stay on at all. Every other part of the heated seats works properly.

Any steps available to diagnose something like this? I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks
-Derek

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Do they work when manually turning them on? One of mine stopped, needed a new heater element in the seat. $200 installed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do they work when manually turning them on? One of mine stopped, needed a new heater element in the seat. $200 installed.
$200? I'm a Ricer Volt ordering a 12V Driver only heat seater pads for $16. I got no heat this morning temp at 43f and cool air blowing. 5 hours later the heats back on at 86% power. Wish usually delivery is 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hi all,
Question on a 2013 Volt - Wondering if anyone else has had an issue where the automatic heated seats have stopped working properly. The heated seats work if I manually operate the console buttons. When I power on the car, the heated seats do the normal '3-2-1-0' sequence of lights during the startup. The heated seats will run during a preheat. But the heated seats don't stay on when I turn the car on, even if it's 20F outside and I have not preheated the car. They used to, staying on high and dropping to medium, low and off as the car warmed up inside, but this winter I haven't seen them stay on at all. Every other part of the heated seats works properly.

Any steps available to diagnose something like this? I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks
-Derek
Start with the manual and go to the config section and make sure it is enabled.

One way to do a quick check is go to the climate screen when the car is powered on. If the heated seat buttons are bright green the auto heated seat is enabled. If it is not green, you must enable it in config.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
$200? I'm a Ricer Volt ordering a 12V Driver only heat seater pads for $16. I got no heat this morning temp at 43f and cool air blowing. 5 hours later the heats back on at 86% power. Wish usually delivery is 3-4 weeks.
You have Japanese Volt? What's a Ricer Volt?

So you are taking apart your seat and replacing your built-in seat heater with a new OEM part that cost $16?

·
Registered
100 Posts
You have Japanese Volt? What's a Ricer Volt?

So you are taking apart your seat and replacing your built-in seat heater with a new OEM part that cost $16?
I bought a used based 2013 Volt but has added additional accessories to match a premium poor man's counter. So far I've installed a backup camera, trunk shelf, a rectangle black leather filler for the passenger back seat, and a dash cam. Wish order are 12V heat seater and the blue light Chevrolet Bow tie emblem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is auto seat heat enabled in your climate config menu? The icon should be green on the climate screen.
Start with the manual and go to the config section and make sure it is enabled.

One way to do a quick check is go to the climate screen when the car is powered on. If the heated seat buttons are bright green the auto heated seat is enabled. If it is not green, you must enable it in config.
Sorry about my delayed reply. I had checked previously and confirmed again today - the Auto heated seat setting IS checked in the vehicle config page. The heated seats DO WORK and everything else about them works normally - they will come on if I preheat the car (as is set in the config page), they work if I touch the button. The "AUTO" is lit on the climate page. But when I get into a very cold car, they do not turn on unless I turn them on. This used to work - this is my 4th winter in the car.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a ERDTT switch installed? That could tell your vehicle you don't need seat heaters.
Definitely not. 2013 has the Cold/Very Cold and those work perfectly for me. They work at their correct settings, and the outside temp displayed on the infocenter is also correct.

·
4,851 Posts
But when I get into a very cold car, they do not turn on unless I turn them on. This used to work - this is my 4th winter in the car.
The heated seats won't turn on automatically if they don't think someone is in the seat. Have you tried with someone in the passenger seat? Does it work there? Maybe there's something wrong with the occupancy sensor on your driver's seat?

Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The heated seats won't turn on automatically if they don't think someone is in the seat. Have you tried with someone in the passenger seat? Does it work there? Maybe there's something wrong with the occupancy sensor on your driver's seat?

Just thinking out loud...
Good idea, but it doesn't work for passengers either. The passenger seat airbag/seatbelt warning works, so I'm pretty sure that the occupancy sensor is working normally there at least.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These seat heaters works great. On LO they're slightly warm 55-65°F and HI warmer at 85-95°F. Just tested them out with temp at 37°F in my shorts and T-shirt. Less than $17 from Wish. Will get 2 more for my passenger side and wife driver side van.
I'm not sure how this is related to my issue? Perhaps you meant to post it in a different thread about seat heaters? They are nice addons for a car that doesn't have them.

·
4,851 Posts
Good idea, but it doesn't work for passengers either. The passenger seat airbag/seatbelt warning works, so I'm pretty sure that the occupancy sensor is working normally there at least.
Interesting. All clues that should help point to the root cause. ;)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting. All clues that should help point to the root cause. ;)
Are you trying to point me to something obvious that I'm missing? I'm not seeing what that is. It worked as expected last winter and is not working as expected this winter. As far as I can tell nothing else has changed.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have an unexpected update on this issue - I FIXED IT!

So yesterday I was sitting in the car just after turning it on, cold. I switched ERDTT modes from Very Cold (my usual setting) to Cold - and the heated seats blipped their 3 light countdown as if I had just turned the car on (It had been on for a minute), and ever since then the auto heated seats have worked normally!!! I even switched my ERDTT setting back to Very Cold and still the auto heated seats work when the car is cold inside, like they always used to.

So strange... but it's fixed!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have a ERDTT switch installed? That could tell your vehicle you don't need seat heaters.
I'm trying to remember who mention ERDTT.... :cool:

Glad you figured it out.
I switched ERDTT modes from Very Cold (my usual setting) to Cold - and the heated seats blipped their 3 light countdown as if I had just turned the car on (It had been on for a minute), and ever since then the auto heated seats have worked normally!!! I even switched my ERDTT setting back to Very Cold and still the auto heated seats work when the car is cold inside, like they always used to.
Okay, wait a sec... what's going on here? I do not have any modification done to my ERDTT - my 'Cold' and 'Very Cold' changes are all being done through the factory 2013 selections on the config page. I think you were alluding to the aftermarket mod where a resistor is added to the ERDTT temp sensor, and I could see where this would affect the car's decision to activate the heated seats or not, but I do NOT have that setup installed. And since I changed that factory ERDTT setting, the auto heated seats have been working normally, no matter which setting is chosen. ??? Am I missing something in the config, or the manual? I don't recall seeing anything about engine heat assist affecting auto heated seats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts