GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the technology that is in the volt, one thing that is mystifying me is why the manufacturers decided to not have an 'auto off' feature for the car power.
As the car it complely silent it is all too easy to forget to press the power button and exit the car with the power left on.
It would be a simple software change, possibly linked to the current auto off that is present for the auxillary power sockets which power off after 15 minutes.

I have spoken to guys from the recovery services team and they tell me that it all too common that careful owners drop their cars off at the airport and then their car gets driven to an external car park by the attendants who are unfamiliar with the workings of the electric vehicles and leave the car powered on. 2 weeks later the owner returns and the car has run the batteries and the fuel tank dry.

I have tried to think if there could be a safty reason linked to why the power cannot be auto turned off but as you can manually turn the car power off at 100mph accidently I cant really see that would hold much weight.

So over to you...... WHY WHY WHY

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm not sure how you're proposing to accomplish this. The 15 minute power off is intiated by having powered the car off first.
This is a topic on PriusChat sometimes too. The issue with having it power off after the fob has departed is that one could be legitimately driving it (after the fob holder departs the car) and have it shut down while you drive it (which would be bad).

·
Registered
562 Posts
The manual turn off is still a manual process though, even if it's accidental.
In your scenario, it could be powering off the car while you're still using it (if you have a speed check, a traffic jam could still activate it). Not to mention, if, for example, the spouse has the keys, and gets out, now not only could you strand yourself by powering off the car, the car could power itself off on you too!

If you can't hear the car when it's on (it does make a sound), it does honk at you if you get out with the fob and the car is still on.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My Volt has some of the loudest door chimes I've ever heard when the drivers door is open and the car is on. Its pretty hard to miss, also the driver door wont lock and when I try to lock the car honks. I sometimes like to leave my car running at the convenience store and got used to doing this with my other car. I would take the fob with me and lock the door with the button on the handle, can't do this with the Volt.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have never, ever forgotten to power off my Volt. The displays still being on are a dead giveaway. One time I even powered it off while traveling 65 mph on an unlit freeway, at 11 pm...oops...never did that again.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
My Volt has some of the loudest door chimes I've ever heard when the drivers door is open and the car is on. Its pretty hard to miss, also the driver door wont lock and when I try to lock the car honks. I sometimes like to leave my car running at the convenience store and got used to doing this with my other car. I would take the fob with me and lock the door with the button on the handle, can't do this with the Volt.
I second this. When I do intentionally leave the car on, I am continuously surprised at how much noise it makes.
Add to that, that if you go to plug in, it won't start charging if it is on, so no horn confirmation.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The remote app or internet access can give you some information if the valet forgot and setting off horn and light may get some action or get them to call you. (cell phone number with the keys)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
This is no more a 'problem' than leaving any other proximity-key car on. I don't see an issue here.

I have never left my Volt on accidentally as it makes crazy amounts of noise when you try to do that. I like that it stays on when I want it to.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The day I bought my Volt, I forgot to turn it off after the test drive. It was raining hard. The salesman ran out to turn it off. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok let me spell it out for you.

The car is in PARK - the seat switches are showing empty - the in car motion detector has not been activated and this state has been in occurance with no remote detected for 15 minutes. IF THIS OCCURS display a warning message saying "CAR INACIVE WITH POWER ON PLEASE PRESS 'OK' to CONTINUE" and then if nothing is pressed then POWER THE CAR DOWN!

·
Registered
767 Posts
and then if nothing is pressed then POWER THE CAR DOWN!
If no remote is detected AND the car hasn't moved, I don't think that being in PARK would even be
a requirement in the logic table. Shut it off regardless of where the "gear shift lever" is.

This is pretty much what I have been saying all along in this discussion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts