GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we've discussed before, the author of this article asks if Tesla should sell out to a large manufacturer:

Link

I agree with Elon Musk's statement that to push technology faster and further, Tesla Motors must remain independent, and keep developing flagship products to show off their technology.

I do believe that the clock is ticking for Tesla Motors. Soon, dozens of entrants will be innovating these systems and TM's lead will evaporate or may even be surpassed, as newer / better batteries / capacitors, motors and power components arrive on the market.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would even go further and say that you can already see it.

Players in the EV already specialized themselves (battery, drive train, etc...) and the "do it all in your basement" is a very risky business and put yourself in a position to have an overall average product, while others continue to improved their products, they still working on fixing theirs....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Players in the EV already specialized themselves (battery, drive train, etc...) and the "do it all in your basement" is a very risky business and put yourself in a position to have an overall average product, while others continue to improved their products, they still working on fixing theirs....
As have players in the LEO launch arena. Didn't stop Musk from forcing his way in thinking that all he needed was a thick enough check book though!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Musk has enough successful start-ups under his belt to know exactly what is needed, and he earned every dollar in his thick checkbook.
That may be the case. But even with that ever so thick check book, SpaceX has had only one less than spectacular launch in, what, 6 or 7 years of development.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I guess I'm more geared toward tangible results. Show me a satellite in orbit that has been carried by a SpaceX Falcon. Show me a Tesla delivered to it's waiting buyer. Until then, at least in my book, it's all just vaporware.

Edit: BTW, I feel the same way about the Volt. I won't be happy until they're rolling off the assembly line!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts