GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CA Green sticker, 2014 Volt, Base with Backup Camera package, 39,000 miles. Lease end December 1st.

They just offered me ~$17,600.

Seems high but once you factor in $950 saved in payments and the tax it's not so bad.

Any thoughts? Should I counter offer?

I would prefer to wait for Bolt or improved Leaf but nothing is being announced. Other option is a 2 month lease extension.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
It never hurts to counter. The worst that happens is they say "No". You're not any worse off.

The tax is a wash. You have 39K miles. How many miles were included in your lease? If the lease is for 12K miles a year, at the current rate you'll be 8K miles over. That could be $2K.

Quick way to figure out a fair residual would be to take MSRP, subtract $7500, and then divide by 2. Should get you in the ballpark.

The Leaf definitely won't be out when your lease is up. The Bolt might be hard to find at that time and you'll pay top dollar. Note that the green stickers should be worth a few thousand bucks if you want to resell. (Based on the sales of Prius which had HOV stickers and those which did not).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
45k lease. They said that their offer is void if I counter. Don't really need that formula with plenty of sites to look up values.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What about leasing a new 2017 Volt? That gets you into Gen 2 with better mpg and battery. California dealers still seem to have great deals. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get an LT with comfort package, leather, and maybe even Bose for ~$230 or less with zero down. Think about what that current Volt would be worth at trade in 36 months from now at what, like 80,000 to 90,000 miles on it? If you think you'll get more then like $7,000 then maybe that's a better deal, less and maybe leasing new would be worth it. Also, maybe the loyalty offer would stack on some of the dealer discounts? That would be an extra $500 to factor in.

In three years the Bolt will be easy to find, model 3 might (should) be out, and the whole market will be considerably more mature.

Might be another option to think about.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Laugh at them and decline, going "you crazy?!"
Watch them come back to you in a month or 2 with a better offer.

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
If the lease ends dec 1st, you are between a rock and a hard place if you are hoping to get a Bolt. That's one of the perils of leasing...you are now on their timetable when looking for the replacement. You want a bolt, you are probably forced to get a volt, don't you dare get a leaf :)

Coworker of mine with a 2012 was going through 17 levels of stress with the g2 introduction as it came a year too late for his lease turn-in. He ended up,buying a used G1 because he couldn't wait.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
NADA clean retail on a 2014 Base with 39k miles is $16K (http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2014/Chevrolet/Volt/Sedan-4D-I4-Electric/Values).

I don't think I would pay a penny over that.
Personally I would pay a $1500 premium for a car I knew versus one on the used market. The problem with the used vehicle market is that it has a higher percentage of problem cars than the population of cars as a whole. (The explanation of how this happened won a Nobel Prize BTW. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Market_for_Lemons.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not going to lease a new one because green sticker is key.

That retail at $16k is without taxes and fees, once you add them it's pretty much the same.

Even if they offer $1k less in 3 months, I already will have paid that in lease fees. Yes, known, clean car is well worth a premium.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
If that buy-out price includes remaining lease payments, that's another story. May be well worth it then.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
It does. All buyout prices do.
So inclusive of all remaining payments and taxes and stuff...plus the green HOV sticker and known history of the car....doesn't sound bad at all then.

What was the original buyout price?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's basically how I felt but needed to check. Now I just need to decide if I actually want to buy it :)

Original buyout was something ridiculous to get a nice low lease payment, $25k or something.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
OK, so you're basically benefitting from the tax credit twice. Once when you signed the papers, and again with the lowered buyout price.

Who says leasing is for suckers?! You will definitely make out better than if you had purchased outright.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts