GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum; I upgraded my Bose system with a 5 channel amplifier and Morel speakers using professional installer, but now there is an issue. The turn signal, back up beeping and door open signals are all now amplified, the fan selector button is barely audible, and the cell phone bluetooth audio is now different. BTW, I added this similar comment to the other Bose audio upgrade thread. Any ideas???

3,606 Posts
Dear Forum; I upgraded my Bose system with a 5 channel amplifier and Morel speakers using professional installer, but now there is an issue. The turn signal, back up beeping and door open signals are all now amplified, the fan selector button is barely audible, and the cell phone bluetooth audio is now different. BTW, I added this similar comment to the other Bose audio upgrade thread. Any ideas???
Hi Neurorad,

I’m sorry for any irritation or inconvenience these audio concern may be currently causing. Have you brought this to the attention of your Volt dealer? They would be best suited to discussing this concern further and providing you with any necessary repair information.

If you would like for me to assist further and set you up with your dealership for a diagnostic and service appointment, please send me a private message. Within this message please be sure to include your VIN, contact info, vehicle mileage and the name of your servicing dealership.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Hi Neurorad,

I’m sorry for any irritation or inconvenience these audio concern may be currently causing. Have you brought this to the attention of your Volt dealer? They would be best suited to discussing this concern further and providing you with any necessary repair information.

If you would like for me to assist further and set you up with your dealership for a diagnostic and service appointment, please send me a private message. Within this message please be sure to include your VIN, contact info, vehicle mileage and the name of your servicing dealership.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
This is funny. obviously installing aftermarket speakers and an amplifier kind of voids the warranty on the existing sound system parts that you removed. I don't t him GM should be covering any diagnosis and repair on something that isn't a manufacturer' so defect covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. That's like saying I put a big huge wing on my hatchback and now the struts so won't hold the hatch up. iS Gm responsible for that?

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is funny. obviously installing aftermarket speakers and an amplifier kind of voids the warranty on the existing sound system parts that you removed. I don't t him GM should be covering any diagnosis and repair on something that isn't a manufacturer' so defect covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. That's like saying I put a big huge wing on my hatchback and now the struts so won't hold the hatch up. iS Gm responsible for that?
I didn't take it that way at all. The Customer Service person just offered to have the dealer help sort out the problem. Nothing about warrantee or anything about GM covering anything.

Just a nice offer for some help. He may find a dealer can look at it and with experience tell him where his problem is with the install.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

I upgraded from the Bose with the Alpine PXA-H800, JL Amps+subs, and all new component drivers. It took a bit of tuning and balancing to get everything right.

I found everything worked best to tune the system for reference levels with the head unit at '27' and the alerts set to the 'Normal' setting in the menu. From there, using 0dBFS reference signals, tuned everything else up just short of full scale. Other combinations caused issues - balance with the tones/bluetooth, auto-loudness, clipping. Once I EQ'd everything near flat (which took quite a bit of correction), everything sounds great. I was so astounded about the level of correction required, that I ended up getting a calibrated RTA to get it adjusted.

From your message, it sounds like you do not have an EQ/DSP layer. If I put my PXA-H800 into defeat/bypass, mine sounds similar to what you describe. When I was doing the install, I had a moment of panic when I didn't think that I was going to be able to get it sounding right and considered giving up and going back to the Bose... Last issue was that I reused the factory wiring for the speakers based on the diagrams in the repair manual - somehow I ended up with both tweeters being 180deg out of phase from everything else -- that made for a very unusual sounding system.

I'd start with more effort into adjusting your gains (head unit vs amp), xover points, and if necessary add an EQ/DSP to get it dialed in.

Jon

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!!! I did bring back to the installer and they did some "tuning" . It is much better now, but not perfect. i will definitely share your comments with them and see what they say.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sorry, I just now noticed your PM.

Sounds like they have the input gain on the amp set incorrectly. When I did my install, I pretty much did what jbk did, minus the audio processor, as I didn't install one. I usually turn off all the "sounds" the car makes, like the startup and shutdown sounds, and all the other button clicks, so I can't help there. The signal clicking sound still works just fine. It's a little low in volume, and only comes from the right channel, but I'm not complaining, as I'd disable that too if I could, lol.

It seems to all come down to where the head unit volume is when you're setting your gains on the amp. If it's too high, you'll get more distortion in the music, and the chimes and such will be far too loud. If it's too low, you'll be cranking the volume on the head unit too high, again leading to distortion, and the chimes will be too quiet. The shop just needs to do some fine tuning on that part, and I'm sure it'll be fine after that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. It seems reasonable right now after they did some "tuning". I wouldn't mind trying to tune it a bit more myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a new problem with my upgrade. The left front channel repetitively turns off, and can be triggered when the car hits minor bumps. The installer replaced the amp and the left front speakers, and the wiring. They even placed a cut off switch to the speakers. When this switch is off, there is a reset, and the speaker comes back on. Any help here would be appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts