1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Just posted link in another thread. You beat me by two minutes.:p

·
Registered
657 Posts
My first experience with Audi was a 1998 A6 Quatro and, while it was a beautiful car, I don't think I would ever consider Audi again due to the high cost of parts and service. Premature failure of such things as control arms and constant velocity joints really turned me off to what I thought was a "premium" car. Oh, those $200 headlight bulbs are awesome too :)........

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you have to learn to fix them yourself,,or you could go broke.:p
I've had pretty good luck w/ mine over all.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I put 200K miles on a 2000 S4 and it looked and ran as good as new the day I sold it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Glad you had such good luck. Many I know have not. I'd be curious to see your service records and the costs to do all of the regular scheduled maintenance. Perhaps you are a skilled mechanic or have a good friend that is. Or perhaps the S4 was a much better designed and engineered car than the 98 A6. I got rid of mine as soon as I found out what it was going to cost to have the routine timing belt replacement @ 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Friend of mine is a mechanic that fixes high end cars, BMW, Audi etc. very expensive as are most cars that's where the money is. Looks like the E-tron has a few charge door problems that stems from an overly complex system to make it look cool, makes ours look like a genius solution.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Glad you had such good luck. Many I know have not. I'd be curious to see your service records and the costs to do all of the regular scheduled maintenance. Perhaps you are a skilled mechanic or have a good friend that is. Or perhaps the S4 was a much better designed and engineered car than the 98 A6. I got rid of mine as soon as I found out what it was going to cost to have the routine timing belt replacement @ 60,000 miles.
I did almost all the required maintenance myself after the first one or two complementary dealer services. The only inherent issue I had with the car was the ABS module went bad at 120K miles. I had it fixed by Module Masters for a couple hundred as I remember. The one "non-inherent" issue was a mouse ate some of vacuum hoses and I had to replace those once. For being such a complex car (twin turbo, V6, 5 valve head with variable timing, AWD, Tiptronic, etc.) it was pretty damn reliable.

Also, I did about 20 track days with the car, so it was not babied in any sense of the word. I've owned two modern VWs and another current model Audi, and none have been any real problem.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I miss that car. This was from the day I sold it. You can just see the front of the even more complex car that replaced it, a BMW 335d. That car never visited the dealer in the 50K miles I put on it (a lease).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I miss that car. This was from the day I sold it. You can just see the front of the even more complex car that replaced it, a BMW 335d. That car never visited the dealer in the 50K miles I put on it (a lease).
I always wanted to try the 335d,,I hear 400hp is basically a tune away.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Just goes to prove, if you've had a problem, the car is 100% unreliable. If you haven't, the car is 100% reliable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts