GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
** scratch my idea of lowering the car while the drain bolt is out **
just bought ramps and used 2 jacks to raise back of the car. easier.

the new fluid did indeed eliminate the "step" you can feel when taking off from a stop.
it is gone now.

I was able to get about 5.5 quarts out.

I wonder why that step developed. Kinda suspicious.

the part # for the plug is 8654382.
Can be found on ebay or amazon or from gm.

posted pic above of the old fluid being black.

I definitely recommended changing the fluid to anybody, it is easy and good preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ended up doing the fluid twice......

The second time I drained the fluid, it was black again just like the original fluid!
I found this odd, the mixture would be about 5.5 quarts new fluid and 1.5 of old, so it should not
be the same darkness as ll the original fluid, but there it is.
I only drove the car about 50 miles, half EV and half gas.

Also, I was wondering why a full 7 quarts did not come out.
I have heard rumors of GM being cheap and under filling cars?
Maybe that is why?
This trans is not a conventional automatic where you will always have some old fluids inside...
SO it is either it is holding onto 1.5 quarts or they under filled at factory.

Also, I leveled the car the 2nd time, I did not the first time, abut about the same amount of fluids still came out.

Anyhow, I am done with doing the trans fluid, maybe I check it again in 100k more miles.

Party on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently did an transmission oil change, 2016 with 71,000 miles. Used Dexron VI. Within the first 200 miles, I noticed that the off "idle" from a stop light stutter (2 step) went away for me as well. It only did it 2 more times within the 200 miles and now its gone. I ended up adding just under 6 quarts. Using the level hole and procedure in the manual.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts