GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I found a dealership out-of-state that seems to be the closest to me (only ~330 miles) that is getting one Volt sometime April-June next year. I was able to talk them down from a $5k deposit to a $2k deposit (which will just be my down payment) and then that Volt is mine. :cool:

Those of you that have ordered, at what point did you get your order number?
In other words, should I expect my order number as soon as I write this check? Or is that unreasonable? Did you instead have some simple contract declaring that you were on the list for a Volt at their dealership?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
They have to enter the order into the GM Workbench system. In my case, I just had to prod them to go ahead and do that, even though they didn't have precise pricing or allocation yet. They gave me the resulting 6-character string over the phone. This was back in early August; at this point you should have to prod them. Just tell them you want a copy of the order that appears in Workbench.

Welcome to the long distance purchasers club. We have a thread elsewhere here, if you wouldn't mind posting your specifics there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Had you already discussed color and options at that point?

Edit: And it did sound like they knew their precise allocation already: one.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Absolutely. You have to nail down everything to place the order.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, what sort of paperwork did you get when you placed your deposit? Or did you not do a deposit?

I'm just hesitant to give them a non-refundable deposit without some sort of guarantee they're not going to change the terms on me and then just keep my money...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My deposit went unrefundable at the point that I specified the exact car (e.g. color, options), they entered it into the GM system, and I signed a document that specified the total price of the car.

Even if you are doing a lease (as I am) you still have to start with a total price of the car (with a lease it's called capitalized cost). It's true that you won't know the exact terms of the lease just yet, because they may not yet have the exact residual values for the car including options, but that's the price you pay (literally) of being an early adopter. If you really must have the exact terms before you sign, then you're not getting a Volt before everyone else :) Wait until us early adopters have taken that risk.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Order experience

My deposit went unrefundable at the point that I specified the exact car (e.g. color, options), they entered it into the GM system, and I signed a document that specified the total price of the car.
My experience has been a little different. I placed a deposit with my dealear the day the Volt price and availability was announced (July 27). The deposit ($1,000) was refundable and I got a receipt that stated that. The deposit is still refundable according to my dealer. In spite of regular questions and prodding the dealer did not enter my order into the Workbench system until August 26 at which time all the details of the order (color, options, etc.) except the exact price were also entered. I too was given an order number over the phone. The usual six letters that make up the order number (go figure). My dealer (Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD) agreed that they would go with MSRP. Since that time, except for fairly regular calls from me, I have not heard anything from my dealer or from a GM Volt representative. However, when I entered my order number (such as it is) into the tracking site it shows that my order has been placed. That is it so far. Now I just wait, visit gm-volt to see what is going on, and hope in the end there is a Volt for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, I wouldn't be so concerned, except for the non-refundable nature of the deposit. That deposit is probably why I'm the first on their list, cause I was probably the first that didn't just walk away when told I'd need to pay a $5000 non-refundable deposit and that the car wouldn't show up until April - June of 2011.

I've asked for a simple written contract stating that my deposit is granting me the right to purchase/lease, at MSRP, the first salable Volt they will receive. I have not received this contract or a response saying they won't do that. I'm pretty sure I'd have to walk away if they refuse to put it in writing or want to remove the "at MSRP" portion. :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
My experience is the exact same at rhellie, right down to the day my order went into the workbench system. I have no contract and my deposit is still refundable. The only paper work I have is a receipt for my deposit and a copy of the Workbench Report with my name on it and all my options properly indicated. (No Price)

I am fine with all this, especially since I am shown at 3000 in the Chevrolet order system, so I know things are moving as they should. I will be surprised if I don't have an early Christmas present from Chevrolet.

Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts