GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I think my 2012 Volt with 75K miles is also the best car I ever own. Low cost of ownership plus it is a joy to drive. I think the only thing that would get me to dump it is if the HV battery puked. even a $2K repair is in the realm of typical on a 10ish year old car. Mine still shows 35 mile range with the AC on comfort every day.

·
Registered
484 Posts
nodnodnod The participation rates in reporting stuff to Carfax seems... haphazard. Like contributing to someone else making money from good data isn't that important.
My Volt was repaired from a hit to the driver's door. The door was painted, the paint was blended front to back so you can't really tell but I did notice the clear coat wasn't completely uniform and there was clear coat overspray on the chrome of the door handle. None of the repairs ever made it to Carfax. The driver's door card also squeaks when you push down from the top. I'm sure it was an expensive repair too. Similarly I sold my C7 Corvette when I hit a manhole on the interstate and tore the bottom of the car. The transmission, floor pan, exhaust, suspension were removed. It took over 3 months to repair. The only thing said on the Carfax report was pothole damage. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think my 2012 Volt with 75K miles is also the best car I ever own. Low cost of ownership plus it is a joy to drive. I think the only thing that would get me to dump it is if the HV battery puked. even a $2K repair is in the realm of typical on a 10ish year old car. Mine still shows 35 mile range with the AC on comfort every day.
My HV battery puked in March. It should have kept this car going for another 100k (I drive 36k miles+ per year) but I certainly didn’t expect the transmission issues so early. Especially the valve body. Thats certainly unusual for only 81k miles.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Finally heard from Jaryd @ Castle Chevrolet, my transmission is getting worked on today and should be done by Friday. I'm going to let him test drive it for the weekend and a few more days, as a trip to Chicago is going to be expensive, so I want to make sure all the kinks are worked out if there are any further issues with the transmission. Fingers crossed, hoping this is the last of the repairs!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Finally heard from Jaryd @ Castle Chevrolet, my transmission is getting worked on today and should be done by Friday. I'm going to let him test drive it for the weekend and a few more days, as a trip to Chicago is going to be expensive, so I want to make sure all the kinks are worked out if there are any further issues with the transmission. Fingers crossed, hoping this is the last of the repairs!
This is great news! Hope Jaryd gets all the kinks worked out. So, you're going to fly up there and drive back? What's that, about 2 1/2 hours? I wish I were within driving distance of Jaryd's shop!

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is great news! Hope Jaryd gets all the kinks worked out. So, you're going to fly up there and drive back? What's that, about 2 1/2 hours? I wish I were within driving distance of Jaryd's shop!
I think I am going to get a ride up to Chicago instead. Airline tickets aren’t cheap, especially days away from a trip, and the logistics just seemed easier if I had someone drive me up there. I also feel better in case something were to come up (friend of mine got the trans rebuilt in his 2016 Subaru Crosstrek, it failed on the way home…)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fellow Volt forum members,

I'm sure many have read my threads on HV battery replacement for my 2012 Volt and ongoing CVT issues, I'm at the point now where I'm not certain in the future of my 2012 Volt. When I purchased it last August I was excited to have an extended range EV that could go several hundred miles on a tank of gas and up to 40 miles on a charge. This was easily the best driving car I've ever owned and I absolutely love taking this thing out on the road. The $9,500 HV battery replacement and $4,000 in rebuilding the suspension really put a damper on that, however, and last weekend the CVT went belly up.

My car is at Castle Chevrolet North in Chicago and Jaryd Carvell (lead EV tech) has been very helpful so far. He suggests that I go with a repair of my stator bearing (now the 2nd time this car has had a stator bearing done) along with a replacement of my valve body/TEHCM (transmission control module) to get the car back on the road. He says there's no guarantees, but he's 90% certain this will get my car back on the road. I'm very appreciative of the time Jaryd spent to educate me on this transmission.

At this point, a CVT that will have its stator bearing replaced twice either indicates to me a bad part from GM or previous owner abuse. When I bought the car one tire was severely cupped and worn, so I can only wonder if someone got this thing stuck in snow and did a 1-wheel burnout with the traction control off until the diff/trans overheated. When I bought this car, the dealer I took it to for inspection (Lou Fusz Chevrolet) did note the abnormal tire wear so in hindsight, this could've been my "out".

I'm not sure if it's best to repair this transmission or just give up on the car altogether. This weekend I looked into other options to move on from this car. I looked at a new Toyota RAV4 Prime, sticker price was $41k, but the dealer said the "Market Value" was $66,246 with a $1,700 rebate totalling $64,546 out the door. That's ridiculous to pay OVER sticker for a new Toyota. I then test drove a Hyundai Santa Fe, sticker price was around $40k, car drove good but the 2.0 Turbo only returned 28.4MPG in easy/gentle driving.

I also reached back out to my local dealer on a 2022 Bolt EUV, sticker price was $41,800. The best they could do is still $879 for 60 months with $0 down and $830 for 60 months with $2,500 down. Ridiculous. Again, I'm not paying ABOVE sticker price for a new car. So I walked and told them to only call me if they could do better. I then went and looked at affordable used cars that were simple, with a small engine and manual transmission. Two Sonics I found were both high priced and the Red one had accident damage:

After all this, I think I'm going to really run the numbers again to see if keeping the Volt makes sense (I'm probably leaning in that direction). Again, there is no guarantee that the 2nd stator bearing replacement and full valve body/transmission control module will truly fix this CVT, but I think it's worth a try. I mean, I've already put so much into this car that I really love, I just want to see it continue to live a good life.

Happy Memorial Day,

clublife.peoria
There are some PHEVs coming out from Hyundai and Kia. I believe the new Tucson will have that powertrain soon.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got the car back from Castle Chevrolet yesterday, car is great with zero issues with the transmission. It drove smooth, shifted into “D” and “R” without any clunks or noises, and is extremely silent now. I want to thank everyone who recommend Jaryd as I probably wouldn’t have gotten the same outcome with another shop. My Volt is back in running condition and I’ve put about 250 miles on it since yesterday because it’s such a smooth car to drive now.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts