GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be off for two weeks and was wondering if I can leave the car off grid for those two weeks or not.

My questions:

a1) Shall I leave the car plugged in or not?
a2) How much power will it draw (on average/day)
b) If not, could that cause any damage to the Battery pack or will it simply use power to maintain during my leave?
c) Shall I hook the normal car battery on a charger?

Thanks for any reply to my questions.

Volted2012

Youtube: volted2012

·
4,888 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'll be off for two weeks and was wondering if I can leave the car off grid for those two weeks or not.
Summary of other threads:
Do whichever makes you the most comfortable; it really doesn't make much difference.

As for charging the 12V battery: NO, not necessary.....and the wrong type of charger can actually be bad for it.

Charge it up and upplug it. Absolutely no problem. Just be sure it is "OFF".
Or leave it plugged in. Will use a tiny extra bit of juice and might be susceptible to damage from a direct
or nearby lightening strike.

If it was me, I'd disconnect it.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'll be off for two weeks and was wondering ...
a2) How much power will it draw (on average/day)
How much power it draws will depend on the weather. See the many excellend comments in the previously linked threads for details, but briefly: if its cold or hot, the system will consume a small amount of power keeping the battery in a comfortable (for it) temperature range, if temperatures are moderate, not much power usage at all. If it is very cold, the system will use some traction battery power even if unplugged to try to keep the battery warm, but only for a day, down to a moderately high charge level, 85% I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The owner manual says to keep the car plugged in at all times for battery management. However as fsa as I can tell, once the battery is fully charged, my charger (Clipper LCS 25) turns off and it won't turn back on. It will only turn back on after I unplug it and plug in again. So it seems to be a moot point to leave it plugged in or unplug as the result is the same. Anyone experience anything different?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Volt Storage Unplugged

Battery Saver Mode: Page 5472 in Volt/Ampera Service Manual

The battery saver mode reduces the parasitic load of some modules during overseas shipment or during vehicle storage conditions. This improves the drain time on the battery (up to 70 days without the battery going dead).

When the vehicle is in transport/storage, some features may have reduced functionality while in the battery saver mode, such as disabling the Remote Function Actuator or content theft features.

The battery saver mode incorporates a latching relay that when enabled disconnects some modules from their ignition power or memory power sources.

Battery saver mode is initiated by turning on the hazard flashers, placing the vehicle in Vehicle On mode, and then pushing the power button switch for greater than 15 seconds. The mode is disengaged by repeating the previous process causing the relay to latch in the other direction. Once the vehicle is in Vehicle On mode and the hazard flashers are on, pushing the power button switch for more than 15 seconds will latch the relay in the other direction.

This feature can be used as many times as necessary if the vehicle is to
be stored for an extended period of time.

Anybody tried this??

·
Registered
363 Posts
Keep it plugged in for extreme temps

The owner manual says to keep the car plugged in at all times for battery management. However as fsa as I can tell, once the battery is fully charged, my charger (Clipper LCS 25) turns off and it won't turn back on. It will only turn back on after I unplug it and plug in again. So it seems to be a moot point to leave it plugged in or unplug as the result is the same. Anyone experience anything different?
I have LCS 25 too. Normally you're right, in mild temps once the car is finished charging the EVSE stays off. However if the temp is above 100F or below 25-30ish F, the car will turn on the EVSE about once every 4 hours and will draw power from the grid for battery TMS. I can confirm this on my TED 5000. If the temp is between 35 to 95F, then you are safe to unplug, but keep it plugged in during extreme temps.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Battery Saver Mode: Page 5472 in Volt/Ampera Service Manual

The battery saver mode reduces the parasitic load of some modules during overseas shipment or during vehicle storage conditions. This improves the drain time on the battery (up to 70 days without the battery going dead).
Thanks for that 70 day figure. I've been looking for that information.

Although the Volt does a great job of managing battery life, my sense is that for long storage periods leaving the main battery mostly discharged will extend battery life, as long as the temperatures are not extreme.

My last vacation I unplugged the 12v battery. After a month it measured 12.75v before being reconnected.

I'm going to be away for a week, so I'll try leaving it in Transport Mode (as the Volt display calls it) and measure the voltage when I get back.

If it looks good, this will be my preferred storage mode for absences of a month or so.

·
Registered
675 Posts
After 6 days unplugged in transport mode with a mostly discharged high voltage battery, the 12v battery measured 12.63v.

This is exactly the same reading as after leaving the car overnight (I confess I don't remember whether it was plugged or unplugged then).

·
Registered
675 Posts
Transport Mode worked fine to store my 2014 Volt for over a month.

Initially: 12v battery measured 12.61v, 17 miles EV range.

After 33 days in Transport Mode, 12.52v, 17 miles EV range.

Maybe someone has a more definitive figure for the AGM 12v battery, but from a glance around the web this looks like about a 10% reduction in state of charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The manual (2012) has a section called "Extended Storage" (page 10-26), which is not listed in the table of contents or index. They do not give a time frame for Extended Storage. They indicate that the 12v battery should be disconnected or put on a trickle charge. They also say to leave the drive battery at 50% - I assume that means don't plug in, but they do not say that.

From my experience, 7 weeks staying plugged in (fall in NM) without doing anything else was OK. Leaving it 5 months (summer in NM in the garage) plugged in, the 12v battery was completely dead. I guess the moral for me is to keep the 12v battery connected (to run the drive battery cooler) and add a trickle charger (for AGM Batteries) to the 12v battery. The drive battery charger plugged in or not may be a moot point.

I should note that in both the 7 week and the 5 month storage instance, the battery cooling system fluid was low upon my return, so it must be using the battery cooling system quite a bit. In normal driving I typically would not see a fluid loss. It also tells me that disconnecting the 12v battery (and thereby stopping the battery cooler) is not a good idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.