GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here make a little sign for their workplace to spur Volt conversations? I wouldn't mind putting up a little bumper sticker / sign in my cubicle saying something like "ask me about my Volt" so that anyone passing by would feel free to start a Volt / EV dialogue. I've had a few guys who sit near me ask me questions when they overheard me talking to someone else about it (I work in an engineering-type environment so there is general technical interest around)... I'd like to encourage more of that.

Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has a sign pdf or something they could share with all of us.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You might try just putting up a picture of the Volt. That might be enough to encourage those who are interested. Frankly, I might be a little annoyed if one of my employees put up a sign like you describe. The workplace is primarily for work related activities.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might try just putting up a picture of the Volt. That might be enough to encourage those who are interested. Frankly, I might be a little annoyed if one of my employees put up a sign like you describe. The workplace is primarily for work related activities.
Surely you have co-worker who has a Mets/Yankees/insertfavoriteteamhere calendar or something on their wall? And they have their Monday-morning quarter-backing sessions with other fans every now and then? Bonding / relating to co-workers is beneficial to the morale and can overall help productivity... you can't sit at a PC and do 8 straight hours of work every day. But I digress...

A guy near me has muscle cars on computer background so one day I asked him about it. Turns out he love restoring... he buys certain older muscle cars in bad shape and meticulously restores them and then sells them. It was interesting and I learned something. I would hope someone would see a Volt or a sign and ask me about my Volt so they could learn something.

Some enthusiasts have made nicely designed J-plug hangars and other EV-related signs that they've shared openly, so I was just wondering if something similar had been done for the Volt since I'm not much of a designer.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Suggestion: take a photo of the DIC showing total lifetime miles driven and total gallons used, along with either the miles driven and gallons used at the end of an all EV trip or the available AER with a full charge. Print the photo with the caption "Can your car do this?". That should start some conversations.

KNS

·
4,852 Posts
A long time ago I made a poster with a QR code on it to that effect, which was intended for being in the Volt's window at a car show.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Surely you have co-worker who has a Mets/Yankees/insertfavoriteteamhere calendar or something on their wall? And they have their Monday-morning quarter-backing sessions with other fans every now and then? Bonding / relating to co-workers is beneficial to the morale and can overall help productivity... you can't sit at a PC and do 8 straight hours of work every day. But I digress...

A guy near me has muscle cars on computer background so one day I asked him about it. Turns out he love restoring... he buys certain older muscle cars in bad shape and meticulously restores them and then sells them. It was interesting and I learned something. I would hope someone would see a Volt or a sign and ask me about my Volt so they could learn something.

Some enthusiasts have made nicely designed J-plug hangars and other EV-related signs that they've shared openly, so I was just wondering if something similar had been done for the Volt since I'm not much of a designer.
I think the point he was trying to make is that by putting a picture of your car up it would be like hanging a Yankees calendar on the wall of your cubicle. It would lead to a natural conversation, as opposed to hanging up a sign saying "ask me about last nights game".
I guess it depends on your work environment and how productive everyone is. I can definitely see it rubbing a boss the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the point he was trying to make is that by putting a picture of your car up it would be like hanging a Yankees calendar on the wall of your cubicle. It would lead to a natural conversation, as opposed to hanging up a sign saying "ask me about last nights game".
I guess it depends on your work environment and how productive everyone is. I can definitely see it rubbing a boss the wrong way.
Fair enough, and that is a decent point. I guess I don't think the average person knows what a Volt looks like so it wouldn't be very effective. They'd just think "this guy has a random car on his wall, that's nice" and move along without saying anything. Maybe a pic with it labeled as "Chevy Volt" would be better... it's not directly asking for input but it also clearly labels what it is, so that people that have heard of it and wondered about it might say something.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
...or worse. With the animosity that some people seem to have towards electric vehicles, they'd probably see it like some people see a "Have you been Saved?" poster - as someone trying to foist their views on you. So you want something that invites a question but doesn't appear to proselytize.

·
Registered
322 Posts
...or worse. With the animosity that some people seem to have towards electric vehicles, they'd probably see it like some people see a "Have you been Saved?" poster - as someone trying to foist their views on you. So you want something that invites a question but doesn't appear to proselytize.
Very true.
Maybe you could get one of these diecast models and put an extension cord coming out of it and plugging into an outlet on your desk? Get creative!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I get more questions then I can handle already. I don't mind it, but sometimes I'd rather not.

Rest assured, I am a great ambassador for this powertrain.
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts