GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shorter-range electric cars meet the needs of almost all US drivers:

The vast majority of American drivers could switch to battery electric vehicles (BEVs) tomorrow and carry on with their lives unaffected, according to a new study in Nature Energy. What's more, those BEVs need not be a $100,000 Tesla, either. That's the conclusion from a team at MIT and the Santa Fe Institute in New Mexico that looked at the potential for BEV adoption in the US in light of current driving patterns. Perhaps most interestingly, the study found that claim to be true for a wide range of cities with very distinct geography and even per-capita gasoline consumption.

Full article at: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/08/shorter-range-electric-cars-meet-the-needs-of-almost-all-us-drivers/

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well if the Leaf was little less low rent fugly, and a bit faster, I might have considered. 20 minutes behind the wheel of Leaf was enough to convince me otherwise.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Interesting data, but once again it overlooks the fact that for many car owners, they don't just use their car to commute each day, they also use it to drive out of town on vacation a few times per year. The fact that the short range BEV covers 99 percent of their driving doesn't change the fact that they are now left with a big problem to overcome that wouldn't be there with an ICE car.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
And therein lies the problem for me. I have owned 2 Volt's for over 4.5 years driving over 50K miles as our DD. We are averaging just at 93% all electric. But we also have a ICE vehicle to fall back on. We use our ICE vehicle for LONG distance travel with our dog. So (for us) this is and has been the question, can we survive with just a BEV, the answer for my family is YES provided it has a winter range of about 180 miles and can be easily charged along those routes I travel.

Right now the ONLY vehicle that would fulfill our needs is a Tesla S85. So that's why I'm looking a CPO MS'. But to do that I'm still looking at a car costing me about $55K. I'm still reluctant to spend that much on a vehicle. How many folks are? So our 2013 Volt is augmented by a 2016 Equinox. The MS could replace BOTH of them but I'm not sure I want to restrict ourselves to ONE vehicle, even going into retirement.

Decisions Decisions.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Interesting data, but once again it overlooks the fact that for many car owners, they don't just use their car to commute each day, they also use it to drive out of town on vacation a few times per year. The fact that the short range BEV covers 99 percent of their driving doesn't change the fact that they are now left with a big problem to overcome that wouldn't be there with an ICE car.
It is less expensive and more convenient to rent what you need for vacation rather than dealing with insurance, maintenance, parking, etc. all year long.

KNS

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mind is going back to my friend's theoretical business plan for a "generator truck" (instead of a tow truck) that could be called upon to charge EV -just enough- to get them to an actual charging station. He decided it wasn't practical as a business for now, but that may change.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
As the study (once again) points out, he need for coast to coast driving capability is overblown for most people. That's not to say there aren't geographic, household size, or other reasons that some would need more range. but the actual need is simply not as great as many "feel".

With a Volt and a Bolt, I'll have my bases covered. 100% gas free for 90% of my travel miles. The other 10% for very long drives not reliant on recharge availability can be handled by the Volt's ICE. As CSS charging gets built out, the Bolt may get some long distance use but the Volt would still be my first pick I think.

·
Registered
478 Posts
... we also have a ICE vehicle to fall back on.
I have long said that the issue with BEVs is that you really need to have another vehicle.
BEVs are more about virtue signaling than actual help to the environment, just about everyone I've seen that drives a BEV has a relatively new second or third car.
When you add the environmental cost of manufacturing that second car (or the cost of building the BEV), the environment would have been better off if they had just kept and drove the ICE. And they would have been in better shape financially.

It's more about saying "I have the money to have a limited use car, and I care more than you about the environment".
That's why EREV is so genius.
Yep. It's the electric car than can be your only car.
The environmental benefit comes when a Volt replaces a primary car, rather than a BEV adding an extra car.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
They'll say 87% as if that's fine, but they always seem to miss one key thing: you want the percentage to be higher than that. The remaining 13% is almost one day per week. And are they adjusting for it being people in cities who have the shorter trips but are less likely to have access to charging? Higher capacity also provides more tolerance for power outages, charging failures, the occasional distracted forgotten plug-in and degradation.

You can go PHEV or BEV-150+, but I'll predict that it won't be until after the success of those other approaches that people in the USA will be more accepting of short-range BEV.

At least they included a geographical analysis.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
In the last 3.75 years, my wife and I have been to 46 states (lower-48) in our Volt. Missing are trips to Nevada and Utah. We'll need to schedule those soon.

Nearly 68.5K miles on our '13 with ~60% of those being sun-fueled. We don't bother to even look for charging stations - an occasional opportunity charge at relatives' homes, sure, but often ignored entirely like on this last weekend's trip of 450 miles.

So I guess we're the exception - silly, semi-retired folks!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I have long said that the issue with BEVs is that you really need to have another vehicle.
BEVs are more about virtue signaling than actual help to the environment, just about everyone I've seen that drives a BEV has a relatively new second or third car.
When you add the environmental cost of manufacturing that second car (or the cost of building the BEV), the environment would have been better off if they had just kept and drove the ICE. And they would have been in better shape financially.

It's more about saying "I have the money to have a limited use car, and I care more than you about the environment".

Yep. It's the electric car than can be your only car.
The environmental benefit comes when a Volt replaces a primary car, rather than a BEV adding an extra car.
I just wish the Volt was BIGGER. That's why it isn't the TOOL of choice when my family needs/wants to travel long distance. Hence the Equinox. The MS is a LARGE vehicle that we can easily drive long distance in. GM really needs to take the Voltec powertrain and put it in a LARGER vehicle.

·
Registered
347 Posts
No question that an 80 mile BEV will work for tbhe vast majority of people, but the problem is people don't buy what they need, they buy what they want.

·
Registered
478 Posts
No question that an 80 mile BEV will work for tbhe vast majority of people, but the problem is people don't buy what they need, they buy what they want.
It will work for most of the people, most of the time.
It needs to work for most of the people, all of the time. Or else they need another vehicle, which defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
478 Posts
GM really needs to take the Voltec powertrain and put it in a LARGER vehicle.
The problem is the treehugger focus of the vast majority of EV buyers.

You and I look at Voltec and say "Hey, take an SUV and Voltec will cut its fuel consumption by 80%!"
GM tried that, remember the Tahoe Hybrid? It saved a ton of gas (an engineer goes where the consumption is, and where the greatest gains are to be had). The treehuggers crucified GM for that, because SUVs are eeeeeevil!

I agree, they should make an SUV. But I am sure the taste of ashes in their mouth from that experience is playing a part.
A plug in Malibu would be nice.....

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You and I look at Voltec and say "Hey, take an SUV and Voltec will cut its fuel consumption by 80%!"
GM tried that, remember the Tahoe Hybrid? It saved a ton of gas (an engineer goes where the consumption is, and where the greatest gains are to be had). The treehuggers crucified GM for that, because SUVs are eeeeeevil!

I agree, they should make an SUV. But I am sure the taste of ashes in their mouth from that experience is playing a part.
A plug in Malibu would be nice.....
As for me, the Tahoe Hybrid is a big truck, not a regular common-sized SUV! For someone looking for regular-sized SUV, the Tahoe Hybrid is overpriced and overkill!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I just wish the Volt was BIGGER. That's why it isn't the TOOL of choice when my family needs/wants to travel long distance. Hence the Equinox. The MS is a LARGE vehicle that we can easily drive long distance in. GM really needs to take the Voltec powertrain and put it in a LARGER vehicle.
I'm excited about the new Volvo V90 T8 that's an EREV. More space and more comfy -- which are two important qualities that are needed for long trips. The Volt is awesome around town and can do OK for two on a trip, but add a third person and it's pushing it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It is less expensive and more convenient to rent what you need for vacation rather than dealing with insurance, maintenance, parking, etc. all year long.

KNS
I agree, except that ~85% of the rentals I end up with are some low-end, crappy model with nasty windows and an strange order of unknown origin. Not exactly the car I want to be inside for long-periods of time on a road trip. Even the luxury options are of questionable cleanness. I guess I'm just too picky, but I've not yet found a vendor that keeps the rental fleet fresh or provides more than then bare base model option.

·
Registered
478 Posts
As for me, the Tahoe Hybrid is a big truck, not a regular common-sized SUV! For someone looking for regular-sized SUV, the Tahoe Hybrid is overpriced and overkill!
Point made. For you the Tahoe is too much. For me the Traverse may be too much. For a treehugger, a Trax (or any form of SUV/CUV) may be too much.

I;m not saying they should make a Voltec Tahoe. I'm saying the impulse to make a Voltec CUV may be tainted by their experience with the Tahoe hybrid, and your reaction right now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well if the Leaf was little less low rent fugly, and a bit faster, I might have considered. 20 minutes behind the wheel of Leaf was enough to convince me otherwise.

Dang. I love my little 2012 LEAF, it's plenty fast off the line, effortlessly gets to 160km/h, and while not the prettiest car on the road, it's one of the easiest cars to get in and out of tight parking garages and has plenty of range for even a wide-spread city like Toronto.

Conclusion: Practicality over pretty, usually wins for me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts