GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I read through it. Nothing I didn't know already. But makes me very glad I went with the Leaf and Volt as I had seriously considered the PiP for a while since they were originally claiming a 15 mile EV range and that would easily handle the 12 miles per day I drive. But the more I read about the PiP, the less I like it. From what I can tell I'd still be having the engine run every day on my commute.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I hope the new Ford C-Max Energi is more Volt-like.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An excerpt (emphasis is mine):

"The EPA says the Prius Plug-In has an electric range of 11 miles, though the small print notes that the car can only do 6 continuous miles electrically on the agency’s city test cycle."
So, only 6 contiguous miles, the engine runs for a while before you can use the remaining 5 miles? No thank you. :(

·
Registered
6,672 Posts

So, only 6 contiguous miles, the engine runs for a while before you can use the remaining 5 miles? No thank you. :(
How silly and folks think this is an improvement over a regular Prius.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hey, lighten up you get lots of neat things with the PIP. Lots of engine noise, a horrible ride, real fun in cross winds, a windshield so close to your head that bug splatters are alarming, and best of all a more politically correct rebate.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The only part you need to read:
Not an electric car

To make our peace with the Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid, we concluded that it shouldn’t be viewed as an electric car—or treated like one behind the wheel.

It remained frustrating enough to keep the car in all-electric mode that we gave up halfway through our test.

Instead, we simply drove the car to keep up with traffic, ignoring the engine noise (a muffled howl under heavy acceleration) when it switched on.

And we resolved to ignore the electric-range estimate, which usually started at 11.0 miles and quickly declined—a disadvantage to showing range in tenths of a mile. (Though being able to add 0.2 miles back just by careful braking before stop signs was rewarding.)
and

Our 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid had a base price of $39,525. On top of that, it came with carpet mats for the floor and trunk ($225), a useful cargo net for the load deck ($49), and a rear bumper appliqué saying “Plug-In Hybrid,” for which Toyota charges a startling $69.

There was also the inevitable mandatory $760 delivery fee, which brought the total to $40,628.

The Prius Plug-In Hybrid qualifies for a $2,500 Federal income-tax credit for the purchase of an electric car, and a $1,500 purchase rebate from the state of California.

Importantly, it also qualifies for a “green sticker” that gives the car single-occupancy access to that state’s carpool lanes.
The fact that people would pay MORE for this than a fully loaded Volt blows my mind! Toyota even charges them $70 for a Plug-In Hybrid emblem! I have to think this is a lemming effect - its sad. The plug-in performance is so low they say some owners don't even bother to plug-in! They only buy for the HOV sticker.

BTW, the L2 charge rate is limited so something like 2.25kW - not even 3.3kW. I give the Prius hybrid much respect for breaking ground 10yrs ago, but the PiP is an embarrassment IMO.

I hope the new Ford C-Max Energi is more Volt-like.
It's better, but not much. 7.6kWh battery vs. 4.4kWh. 85mph top speed in EV mode vs. 62mph. Maybe 15-20miles AER for the Energi vs. 6-11 for the PiP. I'd take an Energi over a PiP any day, but neither hold a candle to the Volt.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
How silly and folks think this is an improvement over a regular Prius.
Well, I think it is definitely a nice improvement over a regular Prius. I just don't think the extra cost is worth what you get. Originally Toyota had said the PiP would probably be $3,000 more than a similarly equipped Prius. I think that would have been a good deal! Well, it is really more like $8,000 and that's just way too much for what little you get.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well, I think it is definitely a nice improvement over a regular Prius. I just don't think the extra cost is worth what you get. Originally Toyota had said the PiP would probably be $3,000 more than a similarly equipped Prius. I think that would have been a good deal! Well, it is really more like $8,000 and that's just way too much for what little you get.
Toyota has been discounting the PiP to the point of it being well within $1K of a Gen 3 Prius. Don't make the mistake of using MSRP. numbers.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
That article really makes it clear that the PiP isn't really worth the money over a standard Prius. Otherwise, you'd just get the Volt.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Don't harp on the "6 miles" on the EPA test. This is only because the EPA test arbitrarily puts a simulated hill at 6 miles, and the PiP kicks in the engine if you gun it on hills or freeway on-ramps. If you avoid this sort of thing the PiP will stay in EV for the whole 11-12 mile range (more if slow driving, just like Volt can hit 50 if you keep your speed down).

Right now with the way the tax credit is structured subsidizing larger batteries, the Volt gets you a lot more EV range for not much more money, so the PiP doesn't seem that good a buy. The C-Max Energi with larger battery, EV range, and EV top speed seems to be a worthier competitor.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i agree, i would prefer volt over Pip.
and thats from a former prius owner.

what other car, can i get 50miles ev range, and 40mpg in.
i just need mine fixed correctly.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
This is a bit disengenuous. It's not just a Plug-In Hybrid 'emblem'. It's a rear bumper applique, identical (in both design and price) to one that Toyota puts not only on regular Priuses, but most other Toyotas, as well (except this one, evidently, says, "Plug-In" whereas the others say "Prius").
Here is my Plugin emblem on my Volt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts