GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,434 Posts
The savings are likely greater with an EV than a EREV like the Volt. That said, I had my first oil change after two years, so that's at least a reduction of servicing needs if not total elimination.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Only maintenance I have done in 18 months is 3 tire rotations. I will be doing #4 in a week or two when I hit 30K miles. My oil life is still at 93%. I will finally have my oil changed in around 6 months. Gotta love these savings.

Normally, I only calculate the savings of gasoline, which for me is huge. But the maint savings will add up to quite a bit too.

Funniest thing is that I have never opened the hood on my Volt. Since I only use the engine for EMMs, not much need to check the oil :).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It seems that the author of the article reads and follows Rush Limbaugh, as I can
read at the last page of it.
I would interprete that article as a way to put dealerships against electric cars,
by clearly stating they will go out of business. The hidden agenda behind this
being to discourage the promotion and sales of electric vehicles.

We can all agree that EVs maintenance costs are lower than a primitive ICE car.
However, a Volt, a Leaf, a iMiev, a Tesla, name them, are also made of mechanical parts:
Wheel bearings, tie rods, shock absorbers, windows that can receive rocks, wipers,
lights that burn and need replacing, door hinges, tires that wear and need replacing,
alignements when hitting pot holes or replacing suspension components, various small
motors to power windows, wipers, fans. Electric connectors that could get some water in
and start corroding.

Look at the various codes that pop up on this site, once in a while. Most of those needs
some well trained technicians to be correctly repaired.

So, will the car service business go down in the next 50 years?
I would highly be sceptical about this outcome.

Sure, they will need to evoluate and adapt their service offerings, as they did when
multipoint fuel injection replaced carburators and became commonplace in the 1990s,
but we will all need good places to go to do car service, even electric car service.

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
589 Posts
EVs save you so much time too. Far fewer trips to the gas station (or in ari's case, only once a year, hehe), the only regular maintenance is tire rotations.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It seems that the author of the article reads and follows Rush Limbaugh, as I can
read at the last page of it.
I would interprete that article as a way to put dealerships against electric cars,
by clearly stating they will go out of business. The hidden agenda behind this
being to discourage the promotion and sales of electric vehicles.
The biggest threat to dealers is coming from Tesla.

However, a car that goes a long way before rising maintenance cost encourages a trade-in will definitely affect the dealer business model.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh...thanks dear i also search a link which help me in articles thanks again for the link to sharing us
No problem, I posted the link out of appreciation for the lack of maintenance required but EV's...the savings on operation cost is incredible when compared to an ICE vehicle!
Btw, I use google alerts works great. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts