GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right shoulder is chronically a little bit problematic. It's been worse since I bought the Volt, and I eventually figured out the problem is the arm rest in the center console-- leaning on it aggravates my shoulder. Unfortunately, with the armrest down it's impossible for me not to do that.

I've started flipping it up while I drive and that helps, but it means that I have to do it every time I get in the car, and if I stop quickly it smashes into the back of my arm.

Anyone aware of a lower-profile replacement? Or, thoughts on disassembling it and removing most of the padding then making a new cover?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
My right shoulder is chronically a little bit problematic. It's been worse since I bought the Volt, and I eventually figured out the problem is the arm rest in the center console-- leaning on it aggravates my shoulder. Unfortunately, with the armrest down it's impossible for me not to do that.

I've started flipping it up while I drive and that helps, but it means that I have to do it every time I get in the car, and if I stop quickly it smashes into the back of my arm.

Anyone aware of a lower-profile replacement? Or, thoughts on disassembling it and removing most of the padding then making a new cover?
Have you tried raising up the driver's seat?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Along the same line of thought, you could put a seat cushion on your seat as another way of raising the seating surface.

I don't know if it is easy to remove the console lid completely, but you could do that for a month or so until you lose the habit of resting on it.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Did you not ensure the car was comfortable before you bought it? That's my first criteria even before the test drive starts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses!

No, I actually hadn't thought of raising the seat. I'd completely forgotten it was possible to do it. That will be my first attempted mitigation.

I do drive with both hands on the wheel, at 8 and 4. The 4 position leaves my arm on the armrest.

The car was comfortable when I test drove it, but I was buying it anyway unless it was horrifically uncomfortable because it was precisely the right car for me in other ways. I wouldn't have spotted this issue in a brief test drive... it only shows up over days or weeks of spending two hours or more in the car every day.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Did you not ensure the car was comfortable before you bought it? That's my first criteria even before the test drive starts.
I'm 70+ and have driven tons of new cars over the years and I must admit, I've never had a 'test drive' long enough to ensure I was 100% comfortable with everything in ANY car I've bought - That would take at least a week and a thousand miles

Part of adjusting to any brand new car is finding out what you're really comfortable with and what you're not . . . . and then, what to do about it. That thousand mile test drive would really help!!

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts