GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow Volt owners,

I just had the pleasure of paying nearly $2k out of pocket for a part that seems to me should be under the Voltec 8 year/100k warranty. A week ago my 2013 volt (91k miles) would not drive. The dash and everything would light up but no power steering, shifting into any gear and nothing would happen. Reading online... seemed like a jumpstart was needed but that didn't work either. Ended up paying $75 to have it towed to the closest dealer.

About a week goes by before the fix and I got the invoice today. The part replaced is listed as a "SL-N-Charger", part 24276662. The tech that worked on the car stated "Necessary to replace battery charger control module..." This indeed fixed the problem and the car seems to be fine.

Based on the online warranty it very clearly states this part is covered. I called the dealer and he said it did not have the "V" code for the part meaning it's not covered. I called Chevrolet and they said it's not covered so I escalated and just opened a case with them.
Am I missing anything? This seems very clearly covered...

·
Administrator
20,192 Posts
the online warranty it very clearly states this part is covered
Please post the exact text rather than your interpretation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is on GM's warranty section of the website and the PDF warranty. I'd post the link but this forum won't let me with my post count (long time lurker, awesome site)

What Is Covered
This warranty covers repairs to
Hybrid specific component defect
related to materials or workmanship
occurring during the 8 years or
100,000 miles term for the following:...Other Electric/Hybrid Components
High Voltage Wiring, Hybrid
Powertrain and Battery Control
Modules, Air Compressor Control
Module (Except Malibu Hybrid),
Accessory DC Power Control
Module, High Voltage Battery
Disconnect Control Module, Drive
Motor Generator Power Invertor
Module, Battery Charger Control
Module.
btw, I did see the other thread earlier this year for the "drive motor battery charger" but the part numbers in that thread do not match mine and the part name is not identical so I believe I'm not talking about the same part.

·
1,027 Posts
Send them a notice of defect and an intent to sue letter. If there's ANY warranty on any part whatsoever you can wallop them with the MMWA federally.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Hello fellow Volt owners,

I just had the pleasure of paying nearly $2k out of pocket for a part that seems to me should be under the Voltec 8 year/100k warranty. A week ago my 2013 volt (91k miles) would not drive. The dash and everything would light up but no power steering, shifting into any gear and nothing would happen. Reading online... seemed like a jumpstart was needed but that didn't work either. Ended up paying $75 to have it towed to the closest dealer.

About a week goes by before the fix and I got the invoice today. The part replaced is listed as a "SL-N-Charger", part 24276662. The tech that worked on the car stated "Necessary to replace battery charger control module..." This indeed fixed the problem and the car seems to be fine.

Based on the online warranty it very clearly states this part is covered. I called the dealer and he said it did not have the "V" code for the part meaning it's not covered. I called Chevrolet and they said it's not covered so I escalated and just opened a case with them.
Am I missing anything? This seems very clearly covered...

AFAIK, GM part#24276662 Drive Motor Battery Charger aka OBCM on the Gen1 should be covered under warranty using Global Labor Code 5040210

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had the same issue/scenario except mine was the drive motor bearing. After I contacted GM and had them escalate my case, it forced the dealer to submit my warranty claim to GM's warranty claim dept. and after 11 days I was notified that my claim was covered under the Voltec warranty. After it was approved I had to wait until GM reimbursed the dealer and then the dealer reimbursed me. Took about 5 weeks to get my money back from the dealer.
This is the main problem with the Volt. I have two dealers in my area that service Volts but neither of them can diagnose and repair a problem on a timely basis and it's always a crapshoot if they understand what is covered under warranty. Love the Volt but thinking of pulling the plug on it especially after GM's decision to stop producing early next year.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
see,this is the schit that gives the public a bad image of chevy and GM.GM needs to reel in their dealer network and treat the customers better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for the replies. This makes me much more hopeful that I can get a refund on the work. I'll keep fighting the fight and reply to this thread on the outcome.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sounds like the same warranty coverage arguments I had with GM on my charge port to control module harness that is the 240v/120v wire. GM said no to both dealer and my case I opened with GM. When I saw the high voltage wires in the warranty coverage booklet I headed back to m ydealer who it appears can open a case as they noted to me on behalf of you especially if they are a higer volume GM dealer. In the end the dealer wrote me a check for over 800 bucks and supposedly recovered it from GM. Don't care if true but got my money back for warranty coverage. Seems like another case potentially of the same but other parts. And maybe yet another reason to move on to other products.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds like the same warranty coverage arguments I had with GM on my charge port to control module harness that is the 240v/120v wire. GM said no to both dealer and my case I opened with GM. When I saw the high voltage wires in the warranty coverage booklet I headed back to m ydealer who it appears can open a case as they noted to me on behalf of you especially if they are a higer volume GM dealer. In the end the dealer wrote me a check for over 800 bucks and supposedly recovered it from GM. Don't care if true but got my money back for warranty coverage. Seems like another case potentially of the same but other parts. And maybe yet another reason to move on to other products.
Agreed. I would really like to get a Bolt but based on my experience with local dealers/service I'm not sure it's worth the aggravation. This may be an issue until electric vehicles become mainstream.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Agreed. I would really like to get a Bolt but based on my experience with local dealers/service I'm not sure it's worth the aggravation. This may be an issue until electric vehicles become mainstream.
Good point. BEVs are simpler and potentially more reliable than ICE, but if you can't get decent dealer support, then that won't help the customer much. I wonder how the other brands are doing with this. I know Tesla's support network is stretched thin, but they also have OTA updates that probably helps with any software related issues. My local Honda dealership service department has given me plenty to complain about in the past. I really only get good service at private shops. It will be a long time before private shops are prepared to work on EVs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with a GM Senior Advisor and I had no such luck getting her to understand what I'm talking about. She kept telling me the battery is covered for 1 year from purchase if there is a defect in workmanship. I explained it's not the battery.. it's the onboard charging module (I could hear crickets when I said it). She has no idea what is going on. After repeating myself over and over she said she's going to call the dealer... blind leading the blind here. This is nuts! Part of my battle is when I bought the car used it didn't have the warranty booklet so the best proof I can find is what I research online and the posts in this forum. Anyone know how I can get a copy of a 2013 Volt Warranty Booklet? It's mind boggling that I have to provide a document to the company that created the document to prove that they said what's in the document.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

AFAIK, GM part#24276662 Drive Motor Battery Charger aka OBCM on the Gen1 should be covered under warranty using Global Labor Code 5040210
Somms, are these from a 2012 or 2013 warranty booklet? Also, does anyone know what the 3 asterisks refer to related to the onboard charger?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
This page won't help you, but page 16 in the Warranty Manual will. The part is absolutely covered as VOLTEC, but I bet the GM system has it coded as EMISSIONS (which wouldn't be covered given your mileage). Poor data management, but gee I wonder why people make mistakes given that reading the warranty manual is like reading a calculus textbook.

GOOD LUCK finding an actual warranty manual. I have NO DOUBT that GM purposefully makes it impossible to find. I have a 2014 and a 2018--neither year of which I own. I just happened to find those warranty manuals from some fancy google searches. Try searching only for "PDF" files in Google's advanced search. There is not a model-specific book, but a generalized "chevy" warranty book that also includes the VOLTEC warranty. It's also absurdly named as I recall (like "2K4_chevy_warranty" or something non-intuitive, idiotic, and intentionally impossible to find).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply VoltenRock. I completely agree this is intentional by GM, if not... well stupidity is not much better. I believe all of the warranty booklets have a section for the Voltec even if the car sold is not a Volt. Either way, I can't even find a 2013 warranty booklet online at all.. including searching by .PDF. In the end, I know I will be able to find a booklet somehow. I'll just search the classifieds and find a car that still has it and get a copy. Once I have this... if they still won't refund I'll be submitting a complaint through the FTC and sending an intent to sue letter. So much fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts