GM Volt Forum banner

Are you afraid of your Volt?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
All I can say is to use the quote someone else said on here from C Heston. (Holding volt key high) "FROM MY COLD DEAD HAND!" Love my car and its saying with me. :)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I heard that NHTSA crashed only the batteries. Is that right? If so what the heck does that prove? If you took a gas tank and crashed it wouldn't it leak?

I'm beginning to wonder about what is going on at NHTSA. First it didn't discharge the battery after the first crash test. I know that GM says it didn't have a protocol out before the crash test but, hello, isn't NHTSA supposed to develop its own safety procedures? Now it sends out a press release that suggests it crash tested Volts but it may have only crashed the battery packs. Again it may be OK to just crash the packs but the press release should say that and not imply something different.

Very odd.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
How about all the problems with the Toyota's recently.. boy has that gone away in the news.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Wow Im surprised at 2 NHSTA and 1 somewhat. I was expecting 100% to not be concerned. Any of those 3 want to share what is the concern?

·
Registered
500 Posts
If GM and NHTSA follow thru then the Volt and electric vehicles will be better off from this investigation. If they don't follow thru, then I'm concerned, but not now. The Volt's a great car to us for many different reasons and I don't think GM, the public and the media have figured that totally out yet.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Wow Im surprised at 2 NHSTA and 1 somewhat. I was expecting 100% to not be concerned. Any of those 3 want to share what is the concern?
Watch this video carefully and listen to Akerson's words at 0:58 about undisclosed "concerns." Then ask youself if the almightly leader of GM himself is concerned, why are you, the regular consumer, not concerned? Are you just a daredevil, or are you so arrogant to say you know more than GM about the car they built and the details of test results that they didn't release?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
This is so stupid

I am afraid of my Volt, afraid I will have to put some damn gas in it some day! :D:D:D

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Count me in the 90+% group.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Watch this video carefully and listen to Akerson's words at 0:58 about undisclosed "concerns." Then ask youself why, if the almightly leader of GM himself is concerned, are you, the lowly consumer, not concerned?
Concerns come in many forms. GM could be concerned that a determined terrorist could use a volt as a car bomb. GM could be concerned it will cost them money to address this problem in the the next volt upgrade. They could be concerned because if there is a way to really puncture the volt battery core, there is no easy retro-fit to existing volts.
A spark + gas is a problem. But guess what, many cars can spark when crashed. Heck metal hitting pavement can cause a spark .

The tests are of little concern because the risk of so many other things killing me are way higher. The car's safty tests were very very good (5* is NHSTA highest rating and they have not suggested taking that away). To reproduce the battery failures NHSTA crashed batteries, not cars, and even only one of them show any immediate issues. I can guarantee that if I crash-test a gas tank or the 12v battery I can also find problems.

I'm glad GM and NHSTA are looking deeply, but nothing shown so far suggests an issue that concerns me.
Its a heck of a lot safter than my last convertible (which was rated marginal/dangerous at crashtest.com)
If I can walk away from a crash I'll have someone depower the battery.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I indicated that I am somewhat concerned and I am... somewhat.
Will it stop me from driving? No!
Does it haunt my waking hours? No!
Does it cause me to extra cautious when driving (I am already a very defensive driver) due to possible catastrophic results of an accident? Yes!

The only thing this situation has done is caused me to be more aware of what is going on and to check what needs to be checked more accurately.

Dan.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
And look at the bright side: Due to the press this issue has received and the way the general public thinks, other drivers will be more careful when they see a Volt so they don't to hit it (especially on the side beyond a depth of 4-5 inches of penetration).

It's like when people pay extra attention to hitting a high-dollar car because they really don't want to pay for the damages. Just in this case, it's more like they don't want to die.

This is an intangilble benefit that the Chevy sales reps fail to mention when sellingpyou on the Value of Ownership of a Volt.

I indicated that I am somewhat concerned and I am... somewhat.
Will it stop me from driving? No!
Does it haunt my waking hours? No!
Does it cause me to extra cautious when driving (I am already a very defensive driver) due to possible catastrophic results of an accident? Yes!

The only thing this situation has done is caused me to be more aware of what is going on and to check what needs to be checked more accurately.

Dan.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Exactly -- you don't know what the concern is... So why are you assuming it's a concern that won't hurt you.

Concerns come in many forms. GM could be concerned that a determined terrorist could use a volt as a car bomb. GM could be concerned it will cost them money to address this problem in the the next volt upgrade. They could be concerned because if there is a way to really puncture the volt battery core, there is no easy retro-fit to existing volts.
A spark + gas is a problem. But guess what, many cars can spark when crashed. Heck metal hitting pavement can cause a spark .

The tests are of little concern because the risk of so many other things killing me are way higher. The car's safty tests were very very good (5* is NHSTA highest rating and they have not suggested taking that away). To reproduce the battery failures NHSTA crashed batteries, not cars, and even only one of them show any immediate issues. I can guarantee that if I crash-test a gas tank or the 12v battery I can also find problems.

I'm glad GM and NHSTA are looking deeply, but nothing shown so far suggests an issue that concerns me.
Its a heck of a lot safter than my last convertible (which was rated marginal/dangerous at crashtest.com)
If I can walk away from a crash I'll have someone depower the battery.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am in no way concerned driving my Volt. It has been one of-if not the best car I have owned. I think the press is just having a slow day and I would not be surprised that big oil is behind this "smear/fear campaign". Who is going to park their severely damaged volt in the garage for 3 weeks-undischarged- hoping it won't catch fire? Duh.

·
Registered
191 Posts
And look at the bright side: Due to the press this issue has received and the way the general public thinks, other drivers will be more careful when they see a Volt so they don't to hit it (especially on the side beyond a depth of 4-5 inches of penetration).

It's like when people pay extra attention to hitting a high-dollar car because they really don't want to pay for the damages. Just in this case, it's more like they don't want to die.

This is an intangilble benefit that the Chevy sales reps fail to mention when sellingpyou on the Value of Ownership of a Volt.
Hehe...

This is comical, I noticed that when I drove my NGV people would see that CNG sticker on the car and back off. I guess the idea of hitting a gas tank at 3600psi causes people to give the vehicle a respectful distance. Now my new car is going to do the same and happily I cannot think of any negative effect this causes for me. If both of us are driving defensively; then the chances of having a accident is minimized. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
NHTSA is obviously "somewhat concerned", otherwise they wouldn't be doing this investigation. If GM thought this was a total non-issue, offering loaners and talking about possible buy-backs is a colossal over-reaction. It's arguably an over-reaction anyway, even as a small issue. But it does seem to be a possible small issue.

To me voting "not concerned at all" = this is total non-issue, you won't even bother reading the follow-up reports you think it's so silly. I'm certainly not disinterested to that degree, so didn't vote in that column.

Am I scared to drive the Volt, not at all, I think it's an extremely safe vehicle. I'm not remotely considering taking a loaner. But I am interested to see what they conclude, if they believe steps are warranted that could make the car even safer than it already is.

I do believe media has vastly exaggerated the risk, left out details, and have used irresponsibly alarmist headlines. But I wouldn't go 100% the opposite direction and say it's absolutely nothing, not worth looking into at all.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts