GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. Buying a Volt next week and the quote I got has some strange fees on it. Would you argue these? Do they seem excessive?

Carfax report: $15.95
Doc fee $299
Nitrogen fee for tires: $72.99
Certification fee: $375
Title Fee: $30
Clean Air emissions fee: $35

Since I'm buying this just across the state line, I'll need to re register it in my home DMV. These fees seem fishy to me. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

CC

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
You would probably get a more authoritative answer if you told us where the car is to be registered. IMO most of these seem dubious, but I would definitely refuse the nitrogen fee. Air is 80% nitrogen anyway, and the benefits of using pure nitrogen in car tires are questionable at best. The title fee is the only one I would expect to be above board, unless you asked for the Carfax yourself.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No, a dealer might have non-negotiable documentation fee (basically covers paperwork filing fees, etc). All those other fees should be part of a nominal documentation fee, maybe the clean air one or something depending on where you live. The doc fee should probably be about $150 +/-.

I would find a different dealer who doesn't scam you on fees, otherwise flat out refuse them all.
Here is some info on Documentation Fees:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/06/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-a-dealer-doc-fee/

Also, you never have to re-register it. You buy it out of state and don't register it out of state (unless that state is required to collect for your state), you register it in your home state and pay the fees there (unless as above the out of state state collects for your state).

Again, some states might be helpful for specific laws.

Eric

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nitrogen fee is a SCAM.
Agreed! I too call B.S. on that one. Unless you take the time to allow some gas to escape and have a meter to detect Nitrogen presence, How are you going to know that's what the tires are actually filled with?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Typical dealer adds. The dealer here thought they could get $199.00 for a lifetime nitrogen tire fill. I told them to just take the nitrogen out of the tires. I don't think they put nitrogen in the tires anyway, they just put a different color valve cap on. I can't image a dealership taking the time to let all the air out of every tire and refilling with nitrogen. And air is mostly nitrogen anyway (78%). They will claim those fees are not negotiable, but they are.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think they all are a scam. I was looking at a used car last week and the moron salesman told me they charge $2,495.00 for reconditioning fee. I laughed in his face and left.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That's where I introduce my buyers fee of $175, a travel fee of $50 and a social media fee of $19. Like games? Lets play. We can all share in the fee laughter.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Fees are there to pad the dealers pocket. Having said that, you can work with them, or without them. How you might ask? First you have to determine what you will pay for the car. Once that is settled, they can have all the fees they want as long as they meet your price. See how that works? Your OTD price is what matters, fees, or no fees.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are two legitimate fees the and a third that is both legitimate and negotiable.

Doc fees are ubiquitous. Our doc fee is 134 and is about as low as you'll find. This one isn't outlandish, but isnt a bargain.

The title fee is broken out on our buyers order, but is closer to 20.

CJDR certs do have a fee, but it's vehicle specific and we generally absorb it up front, no negotiation needed. The dealer does legitimately pay for half the fee, and is generally more than what youve posted.

The rest is garbage.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The only two fees on that list that are usually legit are the Doc and Title Fees . However , they also sound bogus because you need to pay those fees in your state .

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I told them to just take the nitrogen out of the tires. I don't think they put nitrogen in the tires anyway, they just put a different color valve cap on. I can't image a dealership taking the time to let all the air out of every tire and refilling with nitrogen. And air is mostly nitrogen anyway (78%).
It would be rather amusing to get them to put it in writing that they have removed all the nitrogen from your tires, then keep going back and complaining how they're still 3/4 full of nitrogen...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fees are there to pad the dealers pocket. Having said that, you can work with them, or without them. How you might ask? First you have to determine what you will pay for the car. Once that is settled, they can have all the fees they want as long as they meet your price. See how that works? Your OTD price is what matters, fees, or no fees.
X2

Tell them what you are willing to pay OTD and be prepared to walk (or hang up) if they won't do it. Lots of deals out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Concur. Do your math, guestimate the max OTD price you can be happy with and give them the offer. Then stick to it. You don't have to justify it, just tell them you would make the long trop immediately to buy that car if they'll work with you and make it happen. Get the max OTD price guaranteed in an email before you go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Concur. Do your math, guestimate the max OTD price you can be happy with and give them the offer. Then stick to it. You don't have to justify it, just tell them you would make the long trop immediately to buy that car if they'll work with you and make it happen. Get the max OTD price guaranteed in an email before you go.
love the nitrogen fee, first time I see it. If a dealer put that on, I would probably run away from them for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bought the Volt!

Thanks, everyone. I went back to them with a lot of the advice that you all provided and got them to drop most of the charges. They made lots of claims that about how they had to charge various fees by law, only to then drop them when I insisted. In the end, they backed down. I had a family member actually pick up the car, and they took off all the charges (like the certification, nitrogen & carfax, only to add $30 to the conveyance. Oy. I only found out about it after the car was delivered. The price was great, in the end: With all the rebated, it will end up being roughly half off for a 2015 volt, so that's awesome. I don't know why the dealer feels the need to nickel and dime right up to the end. They were nice people on the phone and in person, but they seemed to like messing with us all the way out the door...

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
188 Posts
yes, psychologically, they do that when they think you are 'hooked' and you 'gotta have that car'

My fees were upwards of $1000+state tax. Got the fees to $40 for 'doc fee' and tax

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I usually just do, as for the Out The Door price (OTD). How much does my check need to be for me to leave with the car, in case the sales person doesn't understand what 'out the door' means. Include, Tax, Tag, Title, Fees, etc...

I have a dealer that has a $699 dealer fee and one that has a $150 dealer fee. In the case of what I am working on now, OTD the $699 dealer fee place was cheaper... Psychologically I don't like to see it - but rationally, all I care about is that bottom line, OTD cost.

Some states if the dealer charges one person a dealer fee everyone has to be charged the same dealer fee.

And yes, all of those fees on the car are BS. I bought a truck that I ordered online from a dealer, contact was already signed and ready to go. When they got the truck in they added 'nitro fill' and 'lojack'... Even added it to a sticker addendum on the truck. I guess the PDI folks didn't know the truck was already sold... I got those "for free" when I picked the truck up...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts