GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My screen has restarted a few times now. I did a search of the forums and see a lot of people have had the same problem across multiple Volt years. Is there still no fix for it? Has GM actually acknowledged it to any owners yet? I am sure if I take it to my Chevy service place they will just say there's nothing they can do. I am pretty positive it is not related to overheating or anything. But I can't figure it out. Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's a computer the fact that it reboots on it's own is a bonus just have to hope it don't happen to often/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply but I have to disagree. Would you use a home computer that restarted itself with no warning when you're in the middle of working? Because that's what is happening here. It is basically crashing and then recovering while providing no details *while driving*. No other car I've had with a nav system \ touch screen audio \ etc has experienced this...

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
No other car I've had with a nav system \ touch screen audio \ etc has experienced this...
When posting an issue it's always good form to include your model year and mileage. Sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes we can see trends, sometimes it avoids guessing and speculation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my Volt is a 2013 but when I searched the forums I saw various years with the same issue, that's why I am just asking in general if there has been any news since this was initially brought up. thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
You are correct this should not be happening but comparing to a computer that reboots while working is different then the center stack. No work can be lost Using Navigation would be the only hindrance, if you cant use the radio for 3 minutes while reboot that should not be your biggest concern while driving.
Nos should this get fixed of course, what is the issue I do not know. There have been several people here who have had malfunctioning center stacks and this may fall into a bumper to bumper warranty it may not. Be thankful it is not your dash display and get it looked at or replace it yourself.

VoltenRock has had similar issues and may have answers or have ideas. Read the below thread for more information and had the radio replaced. Contact a Volt Advisor if your dealer is uncooperative.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?196426-possible-two-bad-radios-in-a-row-or-MyLink-just-stinks&highlight=radio

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tim, I was just responding to the previous poster's computer analogy.

I checked out the link you provided -- but what is a Volt Adviser? I've not heard of that before. I am the second owner of my Volt, but have had it for years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine does the self-reboot every couple of months, which doesn't bother me too much. However, two or three times since I've owned it, it's done a reboot that defaults all my icons and favorites. This is a royal pain.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Do you have any devices plugged in?
If yes, step 1 is unplug everything and see if it still happens. If yes -> defective radio, seek service.
If no, plug things back in one item at a time and test again. Determine which item is causing issue, and under what conditions. Then fix that item as it's clearly not playing nice with others.

Computer troubleshooting 101.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I checked out the link you provided -- but what is a Volt Adviser? I've not heard of that before. I am the second owner of my Volt, but have had it for years.
GM set up a specific Customer service team for the Volt to help customers understand and give better customer service they also have a specific Volt Technical team that can walk dealerships through issue and resolving them.
Some people have this number very handy. I know there is a user Chevrolet Customer Svc who may be able to help you. They should at least be able to get you on the right track. If I'm not mistaken their first layer of advise is go to the dealership and have them look at it if that goes no where then they start pushing the dealer and getting the right people talking.

Good luck, Hope for the best. and Hope you are enjoying the wonderful Volt experience outside of this issue.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This was a Bluetooth issue on mine. GM replaced me center radio (other ICE [In-Car-Entertainment]). this is over 4 months ago and seems good since.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My '13 Volt had this happen a few times and it was (finally) replaced. Here is what I had to do for a replacement:

1) Open a case with the Chevy INFOTAINMENT department (separate from Volt Advisors--they can give you the number).
2) Follow the steps they give you (may involve a few resets, opening the door for 3+ minutes with car off, etc.)
3) Wait for it to happen again (it will).
4) Take to dealer. Dealer will reset and say "try again."
5) Repeat.

I had to go through these steps twice (annoying and time consuming yes), but it worked. HOWEVER, remember YOU WILL NOT GET A NEW RADIO through this process. They are only obligated to give you a refurbished. My new one is markedly SLOWER and has a few other strange quirks that the other one didn't. I am bringing it back for them to check it out, as I also had to update my (new) '13 center stack a month after purchase for similar issues. I wonder if it's not up-to-date.

My advice -- decide how much this annoys you before starting this time-sponge of a process. I engaged, yet am still annoyed (for different reasons).

·
Registered
105 Posts
The slowness seems kind of random some days it's fast and snappy ish, other days it's 5-7 seconds between each key push in the nav search which is insane.

·
Registered
32 Posts
VoltenRock
Thank you for that description. So far, we have had the exact experience with our 2013 NAV equiped Volt except for the repeat at step five which was rejected by the dealer the following day. To your point, I wouldn't trust this dealer to make it any better. Unfortunately its more of an inconvenience on our car because it will not reboot until the car is turned off. Everything points to a radio replacement, but does gm know exactly what is the root cause of the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts