GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad has a second gen Volt and lives in the mountains. He skated through last winter on the OE tires, but this year they aren't going to make it. So we offered to get him a winter set this year as a late birthday present. Like the majority of Volt owners he loves using his electric range as much as possible. He can make the drive to work, charge at work(110~ 8 hrs) and make the drive home with around 20-30 miles to spare. He averages 55-67mph on his commute. I'm trying to find an LRR/Eco snow tire so his range won't drop too much. I lose about 2-3mpg when I go from my 200TW summers to snows on my VW so I'm sure the effect on his range is even worse. Anyone running snows with real world range impact is greatly appreciated!

One other issue I'm running into is wheel selection. These things use some funky 5x105 bolt pattern I've never come across before. Are there any other vehicles this interchanges with? It looks like it may be Cruze/Sonic/Volt only? I'd prefer to find a cheap alloy or take-off instead of a steel wheel to keep that unsprung weight down! 16s seem to be ideal for weight/dirt/caliper clearance, but we're open to options! A second set of wheels makes more sense than a dismount and remount for his lease's 2 remaining winters.

They currently have 13 inches of snow with more on the way so we'll probably be ordering them in the next few days lol.
FBB3CDCC-4A43-48F1-9360-73EECB491CEE.jpg

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
I lose 5 miles of range with my Blizzak WS80's. When it comes to snow, we are talking about handling, safety. Focus on that, not range. The Volt has a gas engine, it's not's supposed to be a 400 pound paper weight.

If your dad is that paranoid about using gas, get a Bolt EV. The 238 mile range is plenty even in winter with the heat cranked on the highway with snow tires on.

I do understand the desire to not use gas, I play the same game. But don't let that cloud your judgement on winter handling and safety. I have snow tires for both my Volt and my Bolt. Huge difference in handling. Night and day in my mind.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
LRR tires are exactly the opposite of snow tires. Snow tires are designed to have the most rolling resistance and traction possible.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My dad has a second gen Volt and lives in the mountains. He skated through last winter on the OE tires, but this year they aren't going to make it. So we offered to get him a winter set this year as a late birthday present. Like the majority of Volt owners he loves using his electric range as much as possible. He can make the drive to work, charge at work(110~ 8 hrs) and make the drive home with around 20-30 miles to spare. He averages 55-67mph on his commute. I'm trying to find an LRR/Eco snow tire so his range won't drop too much. I lose about 2-3mpg when I go from my 200TW summers to snows on my VW so I'm sure the effect on his range is even worse. Anyone running snows with real world range impact is greatly appreciated!

One other issue I'm running into is wheel selection. These things use some funky 5x105 bolt pattern I've never come across before. Are there any other vehicles this interchanges with? It looks like it may be Cruze/Sonic/Volt only? I'd prefer to find a cheap alloy or take-off instead of a steel wheel to keep that unsprung weight down! 16s seem to be ideal for weight/dirt/caliper clearance, but we're open to options! A second set of wheels makes more sense than a dismount and remount for his lease's 2 remaining winters.

They currently have 13 inches of snow with more on the way so we'll probably be ordering them in the next few days lol.
View attachment 156341
Lots of good choices out there but check out the Michelin X-Ice Xi3. I have them on my 2018 on OEM alloys and they are fantastic in the slippery stuff. Very quiet and well mannered on the road as well in the dry for a winter tire. They are LRR rated which is a plus.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
LRR and snow tires are kind of a unicorn. An eco-focus needs to be looked at carefully, because if the mfr makes the tire out of eco-friendlier materials, they also say they're "eco".
[edit]
One other thing I'd consider is that there are new Grand Touring All-Season tires that have the new 3PSF, 3Peak SnowFlake symbol, which means they passed the old snow tire test. The 3 tires at Tirerack that pop up are the Vredestein Quatrac, the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready, and the Michelin CrossClimate+. If you get one of those, you could run them year-round. No steelies, no take-offs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here's an explanation from Goodyear of the 3PMSF (3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake) designation in relationship to the M+S :

https://www.goodyear.eu/corporate_emea/our-responsibilities/road-safety/winter-tire-recognition.jsp

And a review of the Michelin CrossClimate+.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/michelin-crossclimate-new-type-tire/

This quote from the article seems to sum up the CrossClimate+

“The CrossClimate is defined as a summer tire homologated for winter conditions,” said Carter. “It carries the ‘Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake’ (3PMSF) symbol, showing that it’s fully winter capable. It is not, however, a winter tire like the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 or Pilot Alpin PA4, which are recommended for climates with severe cold and/or precipitation (snow).”

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
“The CrossClimate is defined as a summer tire homologated for winter conditions,” said Carter. “It carries the ‘Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake’ (3PMSF) symbol, showing that it’s fully winter capable. It is not, however, a winter tire like the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 or Pilot Alpin PA4, which are recommended for climates with severe cold and/or precipitation (snow).”
Yes, like a fall jacket is not the same as a winter jacket, leather shoes are not winter boots, a microwave is not an oven. Yes, you can "make do", but they will be lacking.

Get what you want, it's your car. Plenty will say there is no need for snow tires, fine. Me? I want the right tool for the job. :)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Yes, like a fall jacket is not the same as a winter jacket, leather shoes are not winter boots, a microwave is not an oven. Yes, you can "make do", but they will be lacking.

Get what you want, it's your car. Plenty will say there is no need for snow tires, fine. Me? I want the right tool for the job. :)
Depends where you live. When I lived in Calgary I always used snow tires even though the roads where mostly dry through out winter with their chinooks (compared to Edmonton where the roads were icy till spring) you never knew when that next dump of snow would come even after easter. Here on Vancouver Island I never used snow tires because during the one or two days of snow (one or two weeks in a really bad winter) I'll just stay home and use Coffeemate in my coffee if I run out of milk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lots of good choices out there but check out the Michelin X-Ice Xi3. I have them on my 2018 on OEM alloys and they are fantastic in the slippery stuff. Very quiet and well mannered on the road as well in the dry for a winter tire. They are LRR rated which is a plus.
+1 for Michelin X-Ice Xi3, just put them on my BOLT. While haven't had much snow driving yet, they make for a surprisingly good ride on cold dry roads (better than the OEM "summer" tires). No info on range loss yet. Also put them on OEM alloy rims.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Depends where you live. When I lived in Calgary I always used snow tires even though the roads where mostly dry through out winter with their chinooks (compared to Edmonton where the roads were icy till spring) you never knew when that next dump of snow would come even after easter. Here on Vancouver Island I never used snow tires because during the one or two days of snow (one or two weeks in a really bad winter) I'll just stay home and use Coffeemate in my coffee if I run out of milk.
Absolutely. The assumption is it snows more than one or two times where you live, the snow you get is more than a here today gone tomorrow dusting, or you frequently travel in snowy areas, etc. Florida? Nope. :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just to add, the 3PMSF tires have to pass the old snow tire test. The M+S tires don't have to pass anything. And, the 3PMSF tires are approved as winter tires for Quebec Province.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I lose 5 miles of range with my Blizzak WS80's. When it comes to snow, we are talking about handling, safety. Focus on that, not range. The Volt has a gas engine, it's not's supposed to be a 400 pound paper weight.

If your dad is that paranoid about using gas, get a Bolt EV. The 238 mile range is plenty even in winter with the heat cranked on the highway with snow tires on.

I do understand the desire to not use gas, I play the same game. But don't let that cloud your judgement on winter handling and safety. I have snow tires for both my Volt and my Bolt. Huge difference in handling. Night and day in my mind.
This 100%. Snow tires transform the Volt into one of the best performing cars in the snow that I've ever driven. As long as the snow isn't too deep, I can get through it. I take the same philosophy when it comes to summer driving too. I didn't replace my LRR tires with another LRR set, but instead used a high rated All-Season set. They handle better and are so much quieter. Yes I lost about 10% range, but it's worth it to me for the driving experience. I don't have a long commute (about 8 miles), so I'm still hanging in there at 233 lifetime mpg, despite no LRR tires and snow tires in the winter. My Blizzaks go on the Volt today. I'm late this year because I've been so busy. On my previous car I went between a summer tire set and a winter set, but it was a bit too much of a hassle to time the changes correctly because the summer tires got dangerous if it suddenly dropped below freezing. I'm not giving up my winter tires though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 2 sets of wheels and tires for my volt the factory Michelin's and Michelin Ice-x's. I hardly notice any difference in range between the 2. I get 53 miles of range in the summer and 46 miles of range in the winter. More due to the cold climate and running the heater vs the difference in tires. The Ice-x tires are fantastic in the snow, ice and heavy rain compared to the factory tires that are really bad in the snow, worthless on ice and not very good in heavy rain. When it gets really crappy I drive my 4x4 Cummins Diesel anyway.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just ordered a set of X-Ice Xi3's so I'm glad to hear that ^.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had X-Ice on my '14 and a new set for my new '19. Very quiet and "green" rated. They seemed to work pretty well in our Rochester snow!

I have to get rid of my '14 set with 3 winters on alloy wheels. I have got no hits on Craigslist trying to sell them. Seems weird, not even a spam hit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts