GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes, my family members who object to EV's are the drive without stopping kind. The only stops are refueling and bathroom. Otherwise it's 13 hours of straight driving. The goal is to get there as quickly as possible (without using a plane).
[/QUOTE]

Im totally in that camp. Kalamazoo county Michigan to Wilmington NC is 14 hours of left lane, run with todays traffic (78-82 mph). Our 2011 Volt is perfect for this. Low center of gravity, aerodynamic, 33 to 36 mpg. Great sound system. It’s a 2 day drive with about $140ish in expenses for 1 overnight at the 1/2 way. (Charleston WV is a very cool city). The pure EV trip on this same route would surely extend it to 3 days with 2 overnight hotels, thereby negating any fuel savings. Wonder how much different the left lane at 80 mph experience would be in the RAV4 prime with its goofy shape and high center of gravity.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
617 Posts
Is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV still sold? I have a friend that has owned one for 3+ years and he likes it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
[QUOTE="caronjeff]
Wonder how much different the left lane at 80 mph experience would be in the RAV4 prime with its goofy shape and high center of gravity.
[/QUOTE]
I wonder about alot of ev's running that fast ,what there real world mileage would be.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
caronjeff said:
Wonder how much different the left lane at 80 mph experience would be in the RAV4 prime with its goofy shape and high center of gravity.
I wonder about alot of ev's running that fast ,what there real world mileage would be.
It's pretty easy to find charts by just searching for ev efficiency vs speed, but 100MPH is about half the efficiency of 65MPH, which is about half the peak efficiency which is usually around 25 MPH.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV still sold? I have a friend that has owned one for 3+ years and he likes it.
There is an all-new one with a Volt-like 54 miles of EV range. Very enticing indeed, if you are okay with the car itself.

Edit - sorry for the redundancy of this post. I did not even realize that I had already responded to this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have both a 2015 Volt and a 2021 Rav4 Prime. I have owned Honda CRVs and have lots of time in modern Subarus and other Toyotas. The Prime is plenty of fun to drive wnen compared to the other AWD SUV options out there. For sure it's no Lambo, but that's not what it's for. The battery gives it a different, heavier feel than the regular RAV4 or CRV, but this is not unpleasant. Yes, you have to hit the brakes a bit harder than maybe you normally do, but you can still engage the ABS if you want/have to. It's got a ton of power, is easy to steer, handles as good as anything in this class, and a riot to drive when it's a bit slippery out. Gets the same MPKw as the Volt, has far greater visibility from inside, and actually has a heater that works. All that and a (temporary) spare tire! (Two reasons I dislike the Volt). I'm exceedingly pleased with this car.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts