GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My charger got stolen other day and going away 3 weeks and doubtful I'll get another charger by then.... therefore the car will sit unplugged in high temps, though shaded. I don't have anyone to start it as well.

I know it cools while driving and I've heard it working while plugged it so I'm assuming they are the only times it cools the battery, correct?

Hopefully 3 weeks won't degrade it in the heat.

Not happy about getting it stolen and leaving it 3 weeks.

Thanks to LLninja for the tips on securing the next charger I get.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My charger got stolen other day and going away 3 weeks and doubtful I'll get another charger by then.... therefore the car will sit unplugged in high temps, though shaded. I don't have anyone to start it as well.

I know it cools while driving and I've heard it working while plugged it so I'm assuming they are the only times it cools the battery, correct?

Hopefully 3 weeks won't degrade it in the heat.

Not happy about getting it stolen and leaving it 3 weeks.

Thanks to LLninja for the tips on securing the next charger I get.
Zero issues. Some cars sit for months or years without any activity.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Most dealerships let a used Volt sit neglected for months at a time... they have no idea how to sell them and just let them sit discharged and neglected. They work just fine :)

Keith

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm not sure if we know the answer to that question.

For a while, there appeared to be a consensus on this forum that the Volt would cool its battery *while unplugged and not powered on* if it got hot enough AND the battery's state of charge was high enough. (You can read an earlier post where I explained this rationale here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?179426-Using-Hold-to-preserve-charge-for-battery-management-functions&p=2501954#post2501954)

But idk where that theory originated from or if it has been directly observed, and some have called it into question.

Regardless, I don't think there's much need to worry, especially if the battery will not be left with a full charge.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

For a while, there appeared to be a consensus on this forum that the Volt would cool its battery *while unplugged and not powered on* if it got hot enough AND the battery's state of charge was high enough. (You can read an earlier post where I explained this rationale here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?179426-Using-Hold-to-preserve-charge-for-battery-management-functions&p=2501954#post2501954)

But idk where that theory originated from or if it has been directly observed, and some have called it into question.

Regardless, I don't think there's much need to worry, especially if the battery will not be left with a full charge.
Thanks much, thats a good thread but as you said not much to worry about! Good to know.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If you won't be able to charge it, SOC will be low and it won't need standby cooling anyway, according to the algorithm.

·
Registered
508 Posts

My 2011 Volt did this. I would drive 4 miles and park it all day, so the SOC would be high. On very hot days parked in the sun for 9-10 hours it would have noticeably few miles EV range at the end of the day, compared to when I arrived. Most days are not very hot, and there was no noticible loss of miles.

I love the way GM takes such good care of the battery, no matter what happens. It was well worth losing a few EV miles now and then.

I don't know if the gen2 Volt (2016-) still does this or not. I would guess that it would.

GSP

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2011 Volt did this. I would drive 4 miles and park it all day, so the SOC would be high. On very hot days parked in the sun for 9-10 hours it would have noticeably few miles EV range at the end of the day, compared to when I arrived. Most days are not very hot, and there was no noticible loss of miles.

I love the way GM takes such good care of the battery, no matter what happens. It was well worth losing a few EV miles now and then.

I don't know if the gen2 Volt (2016-) still does this or not. I would guess that it would.

GSP
This is interesting and makes sense as I have noticed that in the past but didnt realize where the EV miles went

I wonder where the cutoff point is in terms of the battery charge when this doesnt work at all? Im sure if its too low, there will be no cooling?

Yes, GM took VERY good care of this battery unlike the Leaf. Kinda blows my mind that Nissan would not put more protection into the battery being how important it is. Aw well, we have our Volts, not Leaves or is it Leafs? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts