GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
As of right now the green PHEV stickers are unavailable. However, if you follow California Assembly Bill 1964, they are debating on whether to raise the limit and extend the expiration date.

Caveat is they are looking to permanently sunset the HOV sticker eventually. So it may only be good for the next 3 - 5 years and I'm not even sure if EV cars will remain able to be in the HOV lane.

Link for status of the Bill:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1964

I'm watching this carefully because I believe if sales of new vehicles hit a certain percentage of total sales...I believe the "perk" stops and will then sunset on the new expiration date.

If you have the stickers on your car already, you should be good. You will need to replace them in 2018-19 when the stickers expire to get the new expiration date. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's time to sunset PHEV. Despite being a Volt owner myself. I think it's time for them to only promote BEV (even though I don't own one). There is enough public awareness of PHEV so they do not need to promote it as aggressively.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think with the prevalence of 200+ mile EV vehicles coming into the market, I would agree. But I think the HOV privilege will get lost by both. I'm not quite sure why they would want to do that considering I read that the CA HOV lane traffic was only about 5% of cars with Green/White HOV stickers and 1 occupant.

Even though I have a Volt, I carpool with someone to work.

If Musk comes through on his promises, I expect this bill/HOV stickers to sunset a lot quicker than we believe.

If not, I have time to try and alleviate my commute.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
They are accepting application into the queue in case the cap is increased/removed...

High odds that will happen around the same time the Prius Prime starts delivering...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sent the DMV my application to get in the queue a couple months ago - but I've seen at least 4 brand new volts (still with dealer plates) in the past couple of weeks with the stickers on them - Not sure what that's all about - maybe dealers are sitting on a stockpile of stickers ? When I was shopping for my '16 I noticed one dealer touting that they had some '16 volts with stickers (after the stickers had run out officially) - but those cars had a markup on them of a few thousand dollars.

·
Registered
354 Posts

High odds that will happen around the same time the Prius Prime starts delivering...
So you are saying CA Senate/Assembly members buy Prii?

I went ahead and put my Volt's VIN in the queue. Probably a waste of my first class stamp and an envelope. Not sure what the politics are on the diamond lane perk.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did you have experience with that?

My co-worker bought a 2013 Volt and it did not have stickers, he applied for the stickers right as they ran out and got a letter stating that they were out. He was not placed in any queue for this. I told the dealership where I purchased my Volt and they changed all their listings on used Volts to no longer show it as a "Carpool Qualified" vehicle.

I'm sure my co-worker was not the only one who is a little SOL.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In SoCal, the bigger perks of having the Green HOV stickers (for me at least), is to save money on the FastTrak 110 and 10 freeways. I can travel there for free just like the HOV lane (with Transponder set correctly). Unfortunately does not work for Toll Roads here, but I think in the Bay Area it is going to affect some tolls that are applicable there (like a reduced toll or something like that).

There is a lot of YMMV for perks depending on where you live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sent my application in too along with the $8 processing fees. Did other people's check get cashed, or only if the HOV increase goes thru?

·
Registered
197 Posts
In SoCal, the bigger perks of having the Green HOV stickers (for me at least), is to save money on the FastTrak 110 and 10 freeways.
In NorCal that is a perk too, I drive across a bridge to work and pay $2.50 vs $5. Note, if it isn't carpool hours, I believe I still have to pay $5. I believe in SoCal carpool is 24/7.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I sent my application in too along with the $8 processing fees. Did other people's check get cashed, or only if the HOV increase goes thru?
The instructions on the webpage specifically said not to send payment with the application.

as quoted:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The 85,000 statutory Green Clean Air Decal limit has been reached. We will continue to accept applications without payment to establish a queue for requesters should an additional amount of decals be authorized. There is no guarantee that additional decals will be authorized in the coming months. Those individuals in the queue will be notified to submit payment if additional decals are approved. Updates will be provided here as more information becomes available.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I believe the new bill (1964) and any increase in stickers isn't scheduled to kick in until Jan 2018.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Link above appears broken. Click this to download the form. You want a green decal, and the Volt is a "TZEV". Here are the form's instructions:

Complete an Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal REG 1000 (PDF).
Complete the vehicle information at the top of both pages, along with Sections A, B, C (if applicable), and F.
Submit the completed application and $8 decal fee (originals) to the address shown on the REG 1000 form.

But as Mike100 noted in post #12, withhold the $8 check until they decide to accept/reject the > 85k stickers concept.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the max number of HOV stickers have be issued how is Toyota going to sell the new plug in Prius which will be available late this year. Did they already reserved theirs? I'm confused. Do each manufacturer reserves a chunk of stickers?

·
Registered
354 Posts
If the max number of HOV stickers have be issued how is Toyota going to sell the new plug in Prius which will be available late this year. Did they already reserved theirs? I'm confused. Do each manufacturer reserves a chunk of stickers?
they issued 70,000 decals and then extended it 15k more. The program hit its cap. I guess toyota thinks people will actually like their plug-in enough to buy it on its own merits. Even the federal tax credit is smaller due to the smaller battery on the prius prime.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts