GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Volt with 31k miles. How do I know if there are software update available? Do we have to pay for this?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Depends what the update is for.
You should still be under full bumper-to-bumper warranty, correct? (Unless it's an early 2015?)
In which case all updates are free.
After that, only critical (recall) updates or special approval updates will be covered free (at dealer/GM discretion but not guaranteed).
Dealer has to check and update the system
Or if you're inclined, some here have obtained their own programming tool and paid for the software subscription from GM ($60 for two days, IIRC)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
My dealer told me that they would only update under warranty if the car has a symptom that is corrected by an update. If there are no symptoms, the warranty does not cover updates. So this is not like the software updates we are used to for computers and smart phones.

·
8,680 Posts
My dealer told me that they would only update under warranty if the car has a symptom that is corrected by an update. If there are no symptoms, the warranty does not cover updates. So this is not like the software updates we are used to for computers and smart phones.
Yup. So far only Tesla is doing updates that add features AFAIK - the rest are only bug fixes, and it seems like they only get installed if you complain or if they end up issuing a recall campaign for it like the Chrysler cellular hack last year.

Of course, there's a lot of emulating Tesla going on in some parts of the market, so maybe this will change before too much longer - if they can separate OTA updates from the dealer service model.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Has anyone seen a benefit from updates? Smoother braking, better range, ect ect.? Aside from problem fixes.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
On the flip side, if there are no issues, there are no updates.
GM only updated for issues. No feature adds.
My dealer would check for updates each time it was in and was hooked up to the computer anyway.
(Obviously not if in for an oil change or the like)

Has anyone seen a benefit from updates? Smoother braking, better range, ect ect.? Aside from problem fixes.
No such updates existed unless you had a 2011. GM never added more functionality over time.
2011s had a brake recalibration, which was in all other volts by default.
Other than that, you get nothing, just bug fixes.

Likewise for 2016 (also first year model) - it received engine tuning for "chuggle", software already present in later models.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
On the flip side, if there are no issues, there are no updates.
GM only updated for issues. No feature adds.
My dealer would check for updates each time it was in and was hooked up to the computer anyway.
(Obviously not if in for an oil change or the like)

No such updates existed unless you had a 2011. GM never added more functionality over time.
2011s had a brake recalibration, which was in all other volts by default.
Other than that, you get nothing, just bug fixes.

Likewise for 2016 (also first year model) - it received engine tuning for "chuggle", software already present in later models.
Early Gen 2 Volts got Android Auto added.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My dealer told me that software updates are covered under the B2B warranty regardless of the status of the update.

Now there's debate on here about updates to the HBCM. My dealer said those are not covered under the Voltec warranty but many on here report that they are covered under the Voltec warranty so that's more of a gray area. If you have updates available to the HBCM and you are outside the B2B then I would contact the Customer Care team on the forum and see if they can negotiate with the dealer for you.

Since the HBCM is a critical component of the Voltec system, any updates to it should be covered under the Voltec warranty in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
... It would be if you had to pay $80 an hour shop labor for those phone or computer updates because you didn't have the equipment to do them or the access to the new images without a pricey subscription.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have a 2015 Volt with 31k miles. How do I know if there are software update available? Do we have to pay for this?
If you are experiencing issues they will do it for free under bumper to bumper 3/36. So make sure you are not having cabin heating issues or even if you think it is not heating as much as it should ask them to look at it under the B to B. There is a software update for heating that may apply to your Gen 1 that will save you problems later on.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Early Gen 2 Volts got Android Auto added.
Ahh yes, forgot about that.
But that's the only feature add. It also wasn't a surprise retro update - it was always intended to be offered, just wasn't ready at launch.
It's not like them adding text messages to a 2013, for example (only began in 2014, they never offered update to older models that would otherwise be compatible)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

Since the HBCM is a critical component of the Voltec system, any updates to it should be covered under the Voltec warranty in my opinion.
My dealer has the specific list of things are are included in the Voltec warranty and HBCM programming is not on that list. No programming updates were on the list only hardware.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My dealer has the specific list of things are are included in the Voltec warranty and HBCM programming is not on that list. No programming updates were on the list only hardware.
That's weird. I'm not doubting you, but I've heard from Volt mechanics on here that updates to the HBCM should be covered under the Voltec warranty. If I can find the thread I saw I will come back and post it on here. There's a lot of conflicting information about this.

D

·
0 Posts
You’ll pay for module updates not covered by recall or part of a warranty repair. (HPCM2 and such).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts