GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do keyless entry and push-button ignitions pose the risk that drivers will forget to turn their cars off?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/2012/0916/Push-a-button-start-a-car.-Easy-but-is-it-safe

"Volts and other hybrids have push-button ignitions, and some are arguing that those devices need to be subject to stricter safety regulations."

"Now Ryan Turner, a Volt owner and regular reader of this site, suggests that the Volt has an unaddressed issue that could potentially pose a safety hazard under certain circumstances."

"In a highly unscientific poll of Volt owners, Turner found that roughly one in three admitted to having stepped away from their car without turning it off."

"In one thread on a Volt forum, <gm-volt.com> an owner recounts forgetting to turn the car off, and returning to find the engine running and the garage filled with carbon monoxide and exhaust fumes only a few hours later."

The carbon monoxide fumes seems a bit over the top, but I did not go through the entire post (below) to verify.

The linked post is http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?15903-Leaving-the-car-on-accidentally

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have done this with my non-hybrid caddy on more than one occasion. Never in a garage though so that might be a concern. Maybe a co detector in the garage for hybrids might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I've come close, but when you open the door, it beeps at you like crazy if it's still running. Same thing if the lights are on. Personally I don't see how I could ever leave my Volt on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The one time I left it on was at the dealership and as soon as I shut the door it beeped at me and I promptly shut it off. I don't think this is and issue for Volt drivers. I'm not sure if other push start cars have the same safety feature or not.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Push buttons are idiotic, back in the 1920's and 1930's they made sense and saved money, now absolutely not.

The only reason they are in cars is because someone made it cool (for reasons I can't understand)

Hopefully its like push button automatics and dies.

We also have those dumb ass things on the military trucks we build but those also don't have any keys either.

Anyway give me a good hard on off that is human controlled and actually works as a kill, not a soft power button like a PC.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Push buttons are idiotic, back in the 1920's and 1930's they made sense and saved money, now absolutely not.
What's wrong with a push button to turn on a car? I find it a lot more convenient than having to insert the key and turn it every time... You wouldn't want a kill switch on the Volt, it essentially is a computer, and if you just killed it every time, I'm sure there would be all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The only thing that I feel is a safety problem with the Volts power button is that it is too close to the mode button and the power button can be turned off while driving with a quick double press, like we need to use for Sport or Mountian modes.

I accidently turned mine off while driving this morining, I also have my head lights set to turn off with the power so it got dark real fast.

I have done this befor in the day time so I new to shift to netural while still coasting and press the power button again. I was lucky that there was no traffic around me at the time.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I happened to like the push button design. I've had it in my old Prius, Leaf, and Volt. Yes, I left the Leaf on while I was at work one time. It sat in the parking lot for hours fortunately the climate control was off so it didn't run the battery down very much. In the case of the Leaf it isn't that I forgot to push the button, but sometimes it is possible to accidentally press the button twice very quickly. The car will turn right back on. They should re-program the firmware to require at least 5 seconds between turning the car off and back on. That would solve that problem.

As for forgetting to turn the cars off. I also think a software upgrade could solve this. For example, if the car is on for 20 minutes and no buttons, steering, gas pedal, etc.. has been touched for 20 minutes it should sound a warning beep and display something on the screen saying "car will shut off in 2 minutes unless you press button xyz.." or something like that. ESPECIALLY if the key is no longer detected in the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have it on the Prius. I've forgotten to turn it off. However, it beeps angrily at you if you get out and leave the car running. It also won't let you lock the door using the fob or sensor if it's turned on, giving more angry beeps.

It could be a problem for deaf drivers or people stepping out of their car into a REALLY LOUD location but everybody else is just being dumb.

A consistent system for shutting down push-button cars in an emergency with the car in motion is more important. (Yes, caveat drivor, but really it'd be a simple thing to specify).

·
Registered
119 Posts
As for forgetting to turn the cars off. I also think a software upgrade could solve this. For example, if the car is on for 20 minutes and no buttons, steering, gas pedal, etc.. has been touched for 20 minutes it should sound a warning beep and display something on the screen saying "car will shut off in 2 minutes unless you press button xyz.." or something like that. ESPECIALLY if the key is no longer detected in the vehicle.
Amen to that! Seriously, if the driver has placed the gigantic shift lever into "PARK" and removed the keyfob from the vehicle, I think it would be pretty safe to have it power down after a few minutes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do keyless entry and push-button ignitions pose the risk that drivers will forget to turn their cars off?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/2012/0916/Push-a-button-start-a-car.-Easy-but-is-it-safe

"Volts and other hybrids have push-button ignitions, and some are arguing that those devices need to be subject to stricter safety regulations."

"Now Ryan Turner, a Volt owner and regular reader of this site, suggests that the Volt has an unaddressed issue that could potentially pose a safety hazard under certain circumstances."

"In a highly unscientific poll of Volt owners, Turner found that roughly one in three admitted to having stepped away from their car without turning it off."

"In one thread on a Volt forum, <gm-volt.com> an owner recounts forgetting to turn the car off, and returning to find the engine running and the garage filled with carbon monoxide and exhaust fumes only a few hours later."

The carbon monoxide fumes seems a bit over the top, but I did not go through the entire post (below) to verify.

The linked post is http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?15903-Leaving-the-car-on-accidentally
No, inattentive people are a safety issue!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Amen to that! Seriously, if the driver has placed the gigantic shift lever into "PARK" and removed the keyfob from the vehicle, I think it would be pretty safe to have it power down after a few minutes.
Are you willing to accept liability (especially consequential damages) for anything that happens inside the car, after the car automatically shuts itself off?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
True. Unless there is a sleeping kid, animal or senior in the car who may never wake up again if the car makes that decision for you on a very hot day???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts