GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had 3 punctured tires in the last 8 months (2 in the last 2 months). Are the OE tires thin or weak and more prone to puncture than other tires, or are my wife and I just unlucky? Also had one in our Suburban so I'm thinking it is more than likely just our area and the construction zones around here or something. Have had 2 nails, a lag screw and a twisted piece of a Torx head bolt.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's a lottery system.
You're on the negative side of the bell curve.

Plug your own tires? It's easy.
I try to get 70k miles out of my tires, and every one has a plug in it by that time.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The OEM tires do seem more likely to get flats, but would really need to run some sort of survey to see if that holds up. My experience is worn or thinner tires are likely to need more repairs, although any tire can get a flat. The OEM tires were built for light weight over durability, and people tend to over inflate them for economy, aka Mitsubishi fuel economy ratings ;) (they stated some Japanese fuel economy figures with over inflated tires, so about 5% higher MPG than what they should have)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I never had as many tire repairs on a car previous to my 13 Volt. 3 tires on the right-side have been replaced. Yes, it only has 2.. The last one was today. You can't plug sidewall punctures safely and the last one (today) I put 2 plugs into the tread to try to seal and a can of Fix-a-flat. I have less than 42K miles on the vehicle - but love every mile.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Too many owners are reporting this for it not to be true. I've owned mine for half a year with one puncture from just a simple stone (that's a first for me). The previous owner had to replace a tire. IMO, these are not durable. Drive carefully, and replace the blowouts with something better.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We hear about the punctures on the board because it's noteworthy. Nobody makes a post to say their tires are working just fine. I have over 60K on mine and only one puncture that sealed up with fix-a-flat 2 years ago and is still holding. I'll be shopping for new tires in the near future and I don't think these were any worse than any other tires I've owned.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Have had 3 punctured tires in the last 8 months (2 in the last 2 months). Are the OE tires thin or weak and more prone to puncture than other tires, or are my wife and I just unlucky? Also had one in our Suburban so I'm thinking it is more than likely just our area and the construction zones around here or something. Have had 2 nails, a lag screw and a twisted piece of a Torx head bolt.
You are unlucky

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I've had two punctures on my ELR in a year. That is more repairs than 20 years of all other cars I have owned. I think the LRR tires are more puncture prone. The tread depth of these Potenzas is not as deep as other tires making it more likely, imho, that an object would penetrate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a lottery system.
You're on the negative side of the bell curve.

Plug your own tires? It's easy.
I try to get 70k miles out of my tires, and every one has a plug in it by that time.
Yeah I do plug my own tires (at least to start, I did take the one to be patched and plugged from the inside when it didn't hold pressure. That was the tire with the big lag bolt in it.), and the Volt tires definitely seem thinner than others, but I am used to 10 ply truck tires so that isn't saying much. At least it seems like I am not alone in the flat department. I only have 36k miles on the tires and am hoping for a while longer. When I do need new tires it might be worth a couple miles in range to get some of the heavier replacement options. I see most in stock sizes are around 23 lbs vs the stock 19 lb.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
We hear about the punctures on the board because it's noteworthy. Nobody makes a post to say their tires are working just fine. I have over 60K on mine and only one puncture that sealed up with fix-a-flat 2 years ago and is still holding. I'll be shopping for new tires in the near future and I don't think these were any worse than any other tires I've owned.
On the other hand, just because some owners have had only a single puncture in 60K miles does not mean that the tires are just as durable as any others. It is expected that the distribution of tire problems will include some with no or few flats.

In reading the discussion boards for other car models, I have not seen nearly this much discussion of blowouts and punctures. And definitely not numerous accounts of people who have had tire problems repeatedly compared to no trouble at all on their other vehicles driven on the same roads (that is more than just bad luck). Discussion boards do not equal statistically valid evidence, but I can see a pattern here that I believe has something behind it. For those who have had no trouble with the tires, I am happy for you. But it makes sense for people who prioritize reliability in their tires to consider a different model when they need to replace the OEMs.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
count me in with multiple punctures.
at 31,000 or so miles I've had one tire fixed twice and another patched as well and now another tire has a slow leak I need to take care of. The only vehicle I've had to fix more tires on is the Jeep and that's over the course of a lot of offroading over eighteen years! Come the fall these goodyear assurance tires are GONE, I'll take the mileage hit for something a little tougher.

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
73,000 miles. Punctures: 0. However, I carefully inspect my tires every 7500 miles when I rotate them and have I pulled out staples and wire before they penetrated too far. I doubt the dealers or even the tire places inspect as carefully as I do during tire rotations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts