GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard something recently that gave me pause. While I'm sure this will devolve into a Hillary versus Trump debate, that is not my intent.

A majority of the people who are disenfranchised by the two leading presidential candidates are moderates. Hillary very much represents the establishment and status quo of the last eight years. Trump is (to his credit) a non-establishment candidate, but his views (or at least his rhetoric) are very radical. In fact, the are borderline fascist.

The fact that a majority of moderates are rejecting Trump (the radical) is no surprise, but the fact that a majority of moderates are rejecting Hillary (the establishment candidate) is. So what does it mean when 50-60% of the population (mostly moderates) rejects the establishment?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
While the Democratic party has been in the White House the last 8 years, the establishment that you refer to that most are upset with is the US Congress. The Republican party continues to take the "my way or the highway" attitude uncompromising when it comes to anything. Politics is about compromising. Blocking "anything Obama" even when it is in the best interest of the country to move forward destroys the country.

The Republican party has increasingly become radicalized to the right since partnering with the Moral Majority and other religious right wing leaders that want to legislate their Christian religion. It was just a matter of time that the Republican party would implode as the US becomes less white and less Christian.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I admit that the radicalization of the Republican Party is part of it, but the Democrats have become the new Republicans. They are extremely pro-business (to the detriment of average citizens), and they only way they really distinguish themselves from the Republicans is on religious/social issues.

Sure, the Republicans in Congress are clearly corporate puppets, but many Democrats who are being elected aren't distinctive enough to actually differentiate themselves. They will filibuster and conduct sit-ins for gun regulation, but they just shrug their shoulders when Republicans refuse to confirm a Supreme Court Justice who would likely overturn Citizens United and start removing corporate money from political campaigns.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Agreed....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts