GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3,689 Posts
Here is the link for the Aptera on the old forum:

http://www.gm-volt.com/volt-discussion/?forum=4&topic=366&page=1

Cool idea about reducing the drag coefficient to it's most logical limit. However, I believe the design is so radical that it will not compete with the cool traditional design of the Volt. I still can't see taking a special woman out on a date in the Aptera. ;)

·
1,101 Posts
Only available in limite quantities for now in CA.

And I don't know how well that single drive wheel in the back would work in the snow!

:)

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
All these vehicles will find initial buyers. It's range and speed will be attractive to those who want something slightly more than a neighborhood vehicle.

If they are successful at fielding a production vehicle, they might be bought up by a larger autocompany looking to catch up on development.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Competition? Really? How? They are two vehicles not even in the same league.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Wow, just watched Popular Mechanics test drive the Aptera:

Popular Mechanics Test Drive Video

Due to an extremely low drag coefficient, they are able to get many more miles per kWhr of stored energy. What amazes me even more, is that they are planning for a series-hybrid / REEV (or E-REV, as GM calls it) which will have a range of 600 - 800 miles.

Anothe plus, per the CEO of Aptera, since it is classified as a motor cycle, you can use the car pool lane, even though you may be the only occupant:

Aptera CEO speaks

GM should ask for the Volt to be given single occupant carpool lane rights.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Anothe plus, per the CEO of Aptera, since it is classified as a motor cycle, you can use the car pool lane, even though you may be the only occupant:
Here's a question, in California we have a helmet law for motorcycles, if you drive an Aptera, do you have to wear a helmet since it is considered a motorcycle? Given the construction of it, it's probably a good idea.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
They already answered this on their site, and the answer was no.

Why would you think that the construction would make this dangerous? Cars have been getting lighter and lighter, while the crash ratings have been going up and up. its not ridiculous to think they will continue that trend. As a pilot (it looks like you are), I can also appreciate the strength of composites, and its ability to absorb energy. They are promising very good safety/crash tests. The proof will be in the pudding, but this car doesnt look much worse than a lot of 2 seater converts out there.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Why would you think that the construction would make this dangerous? Cars have been getting lighter and lighter, while the crash ratings have been going up and up. its not ridiculous to think they will continue that trend. As a pilot (it looks like you are), I can also appreciate the strength of composites, and its ability to absorb energy. They are promising very good safety/crash tests. The proof will be in the pudding, but this car doesnt look much worse than a lot of 2 seater converts out there.
The mission of this vehicle is to go as far as it can on a battery charge. Because it is classified as a motorcycle, there are no crash requirements like there are on all cars. It's reasonable to assume that in the interest or extending range, they will make the structure as light as possible, just like an airplane. Even the best composite airplanes will splinter to bits when broadsided by an Escalade. They will probably try to do multiple airbags. It will probably end up safer than a motorcycle, but not as safe as a car, but since it won't be crash tested by the DOT, we'll never really know for sure.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
From their site:

With safety being our top priority, we have raised our standard beyond the requirements of a typical passenger car. Nothing is normal or standard for the Aptera so why should we stick to "normal" safety standards? For example, the Typ-1 roof is designed to EXCEED rollover strength requirements spelled out in FMVSS(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 216 for passenger cars. The doors also far EXCEED mandated strength requirements for passenger cars as does our 45" frontal impact deflection and crumple zone. We decided not just to meet many of the requirements for passenger cars, but we chose to exceed them. Industry safety standards are very different for passenger cars and motorcycles; we are choosing to go well beyond the industry safety standard for passenger cars so Aptera drivers can feel safe in any driving situation.
The fact that something crumples does not mean it isnt safe. I would rather be in a vehicle that has energy absorbing materials (and total the car) than in a vehcile made of complete steel, of which my body would absorb the energy.

I am fairly confident that the vehicle will be tested in labs, even if its not required, because otherwise people will not buy the safety claims.

Crash Testing
----------------------
Aptera has been working quietly with CD-Adapco and ABAQUS for several months, conducting frontal offset crash test simulations. Using these incredibly powerful tools, we are continually refining and testing our vehicles in software, performing numerous 'virtual crashes' on computers. Our next step is to corroborate the data with live crash tests.
However, I am biased. I am looking to get the longest running, cheapest plug in hybrid available. I do not care about the number of seats above 2 (I already drive a 2 seater). So, whoever can do this first will get my money. Its still likely I get the Volt, but they are going to have a lot of competition just about the time they start to roll the volt off the assembly line.

·
1,101 Posts
Actually I was always partial and looking forward to Diet Smith's Magnetic Space Coupe from the Dick Tracy comics.......

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Making it

If it had a decent snow tire it should work quite well.
The single tire will actualy do better in the snow and rain due to there only being one wheel. When there is more surface area it will want to ride more on top of the snow/water. This is new and i hope the Aptera makes the numbers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts