1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
I'm in, sight unseen. They've got to make something with some size that is either a CUV, or a mid sized car. I've already given up my place in line for a tesla model 3. If Apple designs a car, it's got to be shockingly beautiful, yet simple and functional. As for price, it's guaranteed to be the most expensive item they've ever sold. The real question is whether it is closer to the model 3 or model S in price. Continuing to save my pennies and abandoning the idea of a model S or CT6 PHEV. Still keeping the dream of an i8 and a subyukonade.

The daughter's boyfriend just came through with a TA position for grad school so most of the $40k I have set aside just freed up as I keep socking away cash for the next car purchase. The wait for these companies to release cars (Apple, faraday, tesla) is excruciating...

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I don't like any of Apple products, having used the original MacIntosh, repaired several of the portable devices (iPods, iPads, iPhones), and not liking the IOS which isn't as simple as many belive it is (Android is simpler). So I don't believe that an Apple car will be better or even equal to GM's proven products, either hardware or software (GM has IBM behind the Volt's programming).

As with Tesla Motors fanboys, I only see Apple fanboys buying it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'd buy it. Apple makes the most reliable phones and other electronics out there. Android fanboys insist they are crap because of the specs but my iPhone has never failed me. I tried android before and we have them at work. It's proven to me how crap the OS is and how fragile the phones are. If the car is anything like the phone it will be overpriced but done correctly and work without flaws.

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
I'd buy it. Apple makes the most reliable phones and other electronics out there. Android fanboys insist they are crap because of the specs but my iPhone has never failed me. I tried android before and we have them at work. It's proven to me how crap the OS is and how fragile the phones are. If the car is anything like the phone it will be overpriced but done correctly and work without flaws.
Android is like the PC of phones. With android get lots of choices of brands, they all work, albeit with different levels of success. My daughter's boyfriend has a Samsung. The outside plastics are falling apart requiring a case to help hold it all together. Sometimes the home button doesn't work requiring gymnastics moves and praying to get it functional again. The photos, albeit higher Rez look horrible and just don't have a lot of the software and image processing magic that the iPhones have.

the fit and polish of the android hardware and software just isn't there. It's like comparing a Dodge with a Mercedes.

I have a household full of Macs, iPads, and iPhones so the car fits my lifestyle. I also have over 80 vintage Apple devices in my basement, but the apple car would need to be in the garage and not my museum.

·
Registered
678 Posts
And it will only do what they think it needs to do for you - not what you want it to do - and will not accept any connections or accessories other than Apple's own... It will also cost more than a similar product from anyone else... :)

Oh,and I am much happier with my Samsung S7 Edge and AA than the iPhone 6 and ACP that it replaced...

If Apple designs a car, it's got to be shockingly beautiful, yet simple and functional.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If Apple goes this route, it's pretty certain they will have these made in China, since they have no manufacturing capability. This would further move wealth and jobs out of the US into a Communist country. Contrast this with Tesla, which is rapidly building and expanding manufacturing here, creating employment in the process. Between the two I will stay with Tesla.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
If Apple goes this route, it's pretty certain they will have these made in China, since they have no manufacturing capability. This would further move wealth and jobs out of the US into a Communist country. Contrast this with Tesla, which is rapidly building and expanding manufacturing here, creating employment in the process. Between the two I will stay with Tesla.
A number of Tesla (or any other manufacturer) parts come from China, but you have a good point otherwise.

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
If you use that logic, then you don't have a smartphone, a laptop computer, or a television as almost nothing is manufactured in the Us any more. ironically Apple's flagship desktop computer, the Mac Pro, manufactured in Austin, TX but not everyonee has $3-8K to drop on a computer.

In my household, I just choose to not buy Lenovo products since they are Chinese owned and bought out all of IBM's personal computer arm, motorola mobility (from Google), and IBM's server division. For some reason we seem to forgive the Japanese for bombing us at Pearl Harbor by buying their cars and electronics..

·
Registered
678 Posts
Some very convoluted and defective logic at work here... That was 75 years ago! If we follow that same line of logic over the years, there are many other counties products we should not be buying, including the U.S.! You can't stick your head in the sand forever...

For some reason we seem to forgive the Japanese for bombing us at Pearl Harbor by buying their cars and electronics..

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
Some very convoluted and defective logic at work here... That was 75 years ago! If we follow that same line of logic over the years, there are many other counties products we should not be buying, including the U.S.! You can't stick your head in the sand forever...
This is why I don't buy anything from our enemy, England. :)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
If you use that logic, then you don't have a smartphone, a laptop computer, or a television as almost nothing is manufactured in the Us any more.
With cars it's more about where the final assembly plant is. It's often mistakenly referred to as "made in".

Come on man! They burned out your White House, but let you keep your country. :D

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
That's OK, every car made in England leaks every fluid - at least that's what my wife's MGB, my friend's Triumph TR7, and my neighbor's Jaguar did. Is a sample set of three 70's and 80's vehicles enough?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts