7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
And cost five times more than anyone else's connector...

No, but the connector will be super thin, provide a backup of your car's data and sync your Apple Music playlists every time you plugin!

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
And cost five times more than anyone else's connector...
The first cable will come free with the car but you will need to buy 2 or 3 of them throughout the lifetime of your car. Old ones around though as there is usually a replacement program for later to ward off a class cation suit.

Plus the free charging at all Apple stores will be a gimmick to get you in there to buy more phones, tablets, laptops, and watches, Lord knows I've spent a small fortune already.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Apple's home state of California by 2020 will need about 13 to 25 times the roughly 8,000 work and public chargers it currently has, to support a projected 1 million zero-emission vehicles on the road, according to an estimate by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
Sorry, NREL. That is total BS. If the current crop of EVs has shown anything, it's that we will need far fewer public refueling stations for EVs than we need for petrol/diesel powered vehicles. As a small data sample: My work parking lot has well over 20 EVs on any given day. At most, four to five of those EVs need to charge per day.

Need 200,000 more plug-in locations in California by 2020? Done. Go check your garage; it probably has an outlet.

California needs, at most, 100 new charging locations with 8 to 10 chargers per location. At this point, the key is not the number of public chargers but rather the speed of those chargers. If all 1,000 of the chargers I just mentioned were 100 kW, they would more than serve the needs of one million plug-in vehicles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It would also adopt the standard that's at least 5 years old (I am looking at you USB 2.0).

It will also have a really short cord (I am looking at you iPhone/iPad/iPod charge cables).

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
It would also adopt the standard that's at least 5 years old (I am looking at you USB 2.0).

It will also have a really short cord (I am looking at you iPhone/iPad/iPod charge cables).
Whenever I get a new iDevice, I also pay extra to get a 2m lightning cable as they are infinitely more useful than the 1m ones. It would be awesome if the new charging cable for the EV was a high powered USB Type-C connector, but alas, the plug is too small and wires too thin to supply any serious power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts