GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 2014 Volt owner at end of lease and looking at Nav options for a 2017. One option is to use Apple Carplay & Maps, but does that let me listen to the built-in SiriusXM audio or is Carplay the only thing active at that point and I have to play music from an iPhone app?. Can I flip between Carplay screens and other Volt displays?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Howdy Tony, I have a 2017 premier and use Apple CarPlay and the SiriusXM about equal amounts of time. CarPlay is included and is a stand alone system. You can use either one just by pressing the correct buttons on the front of the system. Its easy to learn in a day or so. I use the nav on Carplay or Onstar. XM radio is mostly music but comes with a trial period for the entire Nav goddies to try out. Check out the OnStar online, XM options online and Carplay on UTube. This will give you a better understanding of how they function together. You can listen to XM while using CarPlay with no difficulty. Happy motoring...

·
Registered
118 Posts
My phone is an Android (LG G4 running Cyanogenmod), but I can listen to SiriusXM, FM radio, or media on a USB stick while using Android Auto for navigation. There is one glitch for me, which I believe to be a problem with Google Maps on my particular model phone: After a few minutes (about 5), the map freezes. It takes pressing a button on the screen to unfreeze it, whereupon it's fine for a while longer. This problem does not occur if I listen to music via the phone and Android Auto, although it does happen with podcasts played via a podcast app and Android Auto. (I suspect that changing from one media file to another resets some sort of timer that, when it runs out, causes the screen freeze. Most of my music tracks are short enough that the timer resets before a problem occurs -- or at least before I notice it -- but a longer podcast does not. That's just my hypothesis, though.) Since the CarPlay software stack is entirely different from the Android Auto stack, my suspicion is you won't run into this particular problem. I mention it in case somebody with an Android phone has the same question -- but even then, not all Android users have this problem. (I've seen several reports of it with LG G3 and G4 users.)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I use Android Auto with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge almost exclusively and have seen no reason to spend the extra for XM... AA provides pretty much everything that XM does only better and with higher quality. And it is free.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a 2014 Volt owner at end of lease and looking at Nav options for a 2017. One option is to use Apple Carplay & Maps, but does that let me listen to the built-in SiriusXM audio or is Carplay the only thing active at that point and I have to play music from an iPhone app?. Can I flip between Carplay screens and other Volt displays?
I use carplay for nav while listening to SiriusXM daily. You can use any audio source (XM, FM, USB stick, and obviously any carplay enabled app) while using apple maps via carplay, they are not mutually exclusive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts