GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From the pictures it looks like the Gen 2 Volt is going to have Apple CarPlay.

My question:

What is the likelihood or possibility that this could be ported back to Gen 1 volts?

Is it just a software update to replace mylink? Or is there necessarily a hardware component?

I ask because I just purchased a new 2015 and am curious about theoretical upgrade path. Wondering if there is precedent for making this kind of update without replacing the head unit?

If I did have to get a different head unit how viable is installing a different aftermarket unit in the Volt? E.g. A pioneer system or some other official CarPlay system?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Unfortunately it's extremely unlikely. No reason for GM to put resources into updating and testing a vehicle they are no longer manufacturing. That plus they never even upgraded many of the older model years with features from the newer model years, and presumably the hardware is similar in that case.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Despite not being able to overhaul the center console, I pretty much use my iPhone bluetoothed to the volt and mounted in a cd slot adapter to stream music, podcasts, and use maps on my iPhone. Even though I have navigation on my volt, I find it much easier to just ask Siri. My only complaint about this setup is that the Siri voice is so much louder than the streaming music when she chimes in when doing turn by turn. Even album art shows up on the volt screen when using iTunes radio or podcast. Although it supports pandora, I really don't use pandora despite previously paying for a subscription. I canceled my subscription when iTunes radio became available.

·
1,027 Posts
ive dumped onstar and mylinks firmware and broken their "encryption". if they dont step up and fix it soon, ill do it myself.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
ive dumped onstar and mylinks firmware and broken their "encryption". if they dont step up and fix it soon, ill do it myself.
What does that mean? You have accessed the source code and are able to modify and then reload it?

KNS

·
1,027 Posts
Not source, I have access to the compiled code and can modify it in assembly. I can also see what changes what.

Mostly their code would be going out the window anyway and I'd build my own modules based on the QNX underlying platform.

I'm attempting right now to redo the VCIM to chuck the onstar code and make it link to any wifi for ease of access and also for modifications outside of their crap system and remove their "backdoor". Which is nothing more than plaintext sms messages hashed with the obvious model numbers. pretty pathetic "security".

I also found out I can stick the IMEI onto my government plan and have truly unlimited data and calling. Onstar not required.

So in essence I'm getting rid of big brother and the nanny, and putting on the big boy britches and having my own 21+ party.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
That's actually really cool (though terrible security, lol)
If you could figure out their app format and structure, you could in theory make a shell that runs from the stock interface and perhaps be able to boot up car play as a fullscreen app without needing to touch core functions.
Kinda like how the Wii homebrew stuff worked.

If you get a polished product, you could probably sell upgrades to people, and I'm sure many would buy :p
Though not sure of any legal implications of that..

·
Registered
270 Posts
FWIW, I'd be very interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
...and sadly in his haste to get to the module to hack his re-written code, he mis-placed a decimal point and it went into full skynet mode. Seeing that his code had made the Volt a newly seditiant being, he reached into the hood and grabbed a handful of orange wires. A puff of smoke and a wisp of steam escaped his ear holes, and that is why we cant have nice things...

but really, have you gotten any where on this?

·
Registered
119 Posts
...and sadly in his haste to get to the module to hack his re-written code, he mis-placed a decimal point and it went into full skynet mode. Seeing that his code had made the Volt a newly seditiant being, he reached into the hood and grabbed a handful of orange wires. A puff of smoke and a wisp of steam escaped his ear holes, and that is why we cant have nice things...

but really, have you gotten any where on this?
LOL - funny. To Aseras - any luck? Would love CarPlay on my 2013. :) Don't need XM but would love to retain My Link stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not source, I have access to the compiled code and can modify it in assembly. I can also see what changes what.

Mostly their code would be going out the window anyway and I'd build my own modules based on the QNX underlying platform.

I'm attempting right now to redo the VCIM to chuck the onstar code and make it link to any wifi for ease of access and also for modifications outside of their crap system and remove their "backdoor". Which is nothing more than plaintext sms messages hashed with the obvious model numbers. pretty pathetic "security".

I also found out I can stick the IMEI onto my government plan and have truly unlimited data and calling. Onstar not required.

So in essence I'm getting rid of big brother and the nanny, and putting on the big boy britches and having my own 21+ party.
What tools are you using?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts