GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how I check the version of Apple CarPlay installed in my 2019 Volt? Also, how do I upgrade my version of Apple CarPlay?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Carplay is just a compatible feature of the head unit. The actual carplay software is on your phone and updates along with your iOS updates. If your phone is up to date with software upgrades, then your carplay is up to date as well. You can check your carplay settings under the General settings on your phone.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Can someone tell me how I check the version of Apple CarPlay installed in my 2019 Volt? Also, how do I upgrade my version of Apple CarPlay?
CarPlay and Android Auto run on the phones, the head unit in the car works like an X server, i.e. all it does is display what y9our phone projects. The firmware in the head unit can only be updated by the dealer, GM doesn't have over the air updates like Tesla does. Are you having a problem with CarPlay or are you just curious?

·
Registered
369 Posts
13' is still a work in progress, but yes, it DOES look far more useful, on the big Volt screen!!!
(AppleBeta version)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I was curious and was wondering about wireless CarPlay.
Don't know if the 2019 has the capability of supporting it but certainly the earlier models can't. GM isn't Tesla, they don't do software enhancements only bug fixes.

·
Registered
464 Posts
On our 2017 Volt Waze on Apple Carplay is showing our speed at approximately half of the actual/real speed. Just started happening a few weeks ago, not sure what the cause could be or what changed. I have googled this and see others have experienced this same issue, can't locate a fix. Not a major issue, wondering if anyone else out here has experienced this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Happening on my motorcycle too...OS13, Apple iPhone......no CarPlay...obviously! ( Waze is showing 1/2 speed!)

I couldn't be sure......important to look at the road....not the Iphone/Map screen, on a motorcycle, but I THOUGHT the 'GPS/Iphone' signal was lagging too......IE My little Waze Motorcycle was not quite keeping up with where my bike really was, street wise, ........and it usually doesn't lag, even on LTE

Guess I'll have to try Apple Maps, and Google Maps, see if its the same....

·
Registered
1 Posts
On our 2017 Volt Waze on Apple Carplay is showing our speed at approximately half of the actual/real speed. Just started happening a few weeks ago, not sure what the cause could be or what changed. I have googled this and see others have experienced this same issue, can't locate a fix. Not a major issue, wondering if anyone else out here has experienced this.
Yep I’m having exactly the same issue and is only in waze when is connected by carplay

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe I already know the answer, but I'm wondering if there is any way to get Apple CarPLay on our 2013 Volt? Looks like I would have the change out the entire head unit... assuming it isn't indexed to the vehicle VIN, and also assuming GM actually makes a reverse-compatible head unit? I thought I'd seen something on here, that made it seem like it really wouldn't be that difficult to install a later-model head unit, and adjust the jumpers/bus accordingly - but maybe I'm wrong? figured I'd ask anyway... thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I connect my Iphone 7 plus running 12.4.1 about 1 in 10 times there is a malfunction and the head unit is locked up and I cannot make or receive phone calls or text messages and cannot control my music which does play at a set volume. I cannot play radio stations. Turning off and on the phone or unplugging does no good. Turning off the car for 5 minutes does solve the problem. Not an acceptable solution.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are basically zero OEM systems right now that can do wireless CarPlay or Android Auto. You might start seeing some on 2020 or 2021 models.. possibly.

Meanwhile there are several after-market headunits that do wireless Android Auto, and I think CarPlay too.

The automakers always lag behind when it comes to implementing new infotainment tech.

·
Registered
17 Volt Premier with ACC, 18 CT-6 plug-in
14 Posts
Our 2019 Audi Etron has wireless CarPlay. It seems to require the car to support 5 Ghz WiFi connection to have the necessary bandwidth. It works OK, but it does seem to always switch to the phone as the audio source.
I came across this thread looking for an answer as to why Waze on CarPlay reports my speed at 50% on my new to me, CPO, 2017 Volt. I found a thread on another forum that says that the dealer needs to update a Human Interface module to fix it. I’ll have to ask them to do that at my next oil change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts