GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the phone (Iphone) need to be connected with the lightning connector for Carplay to work in the Bolt?

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
Calls will come through whether wired or not. But maps and texts appear to need the wire.

Then again, I have the free OnStar service until end of year. What happens after that ends, I'm not sure. I don't use my phone much in the car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. We plan on using the phone for navigation and wondered if it needed to be tethered.

For my wife it is convenient if she could leave the phone buried in the purse but I guess she will have to dig it out and plug in to get Navigation help.

My daughter has a Honda with apple car play and the bluetooth only works with calls. The wire is needed for navigation and other carplay features. I had read that Apple is going wireless with Carplay over a year ago but I guess it is not widespread yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yes, you do need to have your iphone connected for the 'apple play' icon to even appear on the screen...

I agree a bit less than ideal, but at least you recharge your phone while in the car. The display with using Apple Maps is so much better than the 'built in nav' I had in m Volt prior to the Bolt, especially in terms of detail which mimics satellite view but with some color filtering so as to not be distracting.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
If the Bolt is like our 2017 GMC Acadia and Volt it needs to be connected to the USB port. Does the Bolt display e-mail messages.

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
The display with using Apple Maps is so much better than the 'built in nav' I had in m Volt prior to the Bolt, especially in terms of detail which mimics satellite view but with some color filtering so as to not be distracting.
Yes, the 3D-ish view can be nice. Getting the map to be oriented with "up" being the direction of travel seems not to be the default. My issue is needing to plugin which is a cord and clutter annoyance.

If the Bolt is like our 2017 GMC Acadia and Volt it needs to be connected to the USB port. Does the Bolt display e-mail messages.
Not that I have seen, but text messages will be read to you and you can speak your reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts