GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's ba-aaaack. On again, off again the word is it's on again and the goal is full autonomous driving. Time will tell.

Reactions: jbakerjonathan

·
Registered
646 Posts
In my view. All cars need to be networked and share information with cars nearby to have full autonomous driving. Also, there is this vison issue for lidar and video in adverse circumstances such as snow, rain, fog and smoke. We need beacons in the roadways also, this would alleviate the vision issue.

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my view. All cars need to be networked and share information with cars nearby to have full autonomous driving. Also, there is this vison issue for lidar and video in adverse circumstances such as snow, rain, fog and smoke. We need beacons in the roadways also, this would alleviate the vision issue.
Not sure about the need for networking with other cars, which also represents a potential security issue (hacking). Bird flock movements (murmuration) can be very sensitive and sophisticated without each bird being networked. Something similar but less extreme perhaps can be achieved with AV's.

The snow, rain. fog, smoke issues are still issues, yes. People often deal with those issues by ignoring them, resulting in 60 car pileup headlines. 😯

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Not sure about the need for networking with other cars, which also represents a potential security issue (hacking). Bird flock movements (murmuration) can be very sensitive and sophisticated without each bird being networked.
They're all flying in the same general direction (that's the whole point of flocking) and they have basically NOTHING constraining their movement except other birds, flying under exactly the same unconstrained conditions.

And considering the number of birds that crash into my patio doors, I don't think their systems adapt to more constrained and confusing environments well.

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And considering the number of birds that crash into my patio doors, I don't think their systems adapt to more constrained and confusing environments well.
Windows are the issue. Just like rain, fog, snow are an issue for AV's.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Birds fly in formation because they fly off the vortexes of the wingtips of the bird ahead saving energy. They just did it with two airliners recently, trans ocean I believe it was, with a 10% savings on fuel although they've known about it for some time. Nature is smart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts