GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an app that can be used with an iPhone v6.0.1 that blocks texts while driving?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
"The apps use a phone’s GPS capability to determine movement and typically block texting and web surfing when a vehicle is going faster than 5 or 10 mph."

tXtBlocker

says Iphone 4 comming ?

--------------------------
I guess you could ask Siri not to talk to you while driving :)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Is it me or doesn't it seem really counter-intuitive to have a 10-minute long text string conversation with someone which contains information that could be shared in a 2-minute phone call? I guess texting is talking for those who don't like talking?

I'm someone who is quite anti-texting and see the pathological issues behind the "instant need to respond" by watching people on the subway in NYC and also my own kids. Talking on a cell phone while driving is somewhat distracting but texting is far worse. I hope these apps become standard on all phones as OEM content. And it's not just kids - too many "mini-van moms" are seen cruising through parking lots with their devices in hand looking down at those 5-10 mph speeds. It's not just texting, though. It's smartphones displaying applications like Facebook. You can be using a smart phone, not texting, but totally involved in scrolling through facebook, tumblr, etc. Self-indulgence has no limits. You can block texting but what you do have to block is "application access to all interactive apps".

·
Registered
437 Posts
Is it me or doesn't it seem really counter-intuitive to have a 10-minute long text string conversation with someone which contains information that could be shared in a 2-minute phone call? I guess texting is talking for those who don't like talking?

I'm someone who is quite anti-texting and see the pathological issues behind the "instant need to respond" by watching people on the subway in NYC and also my own kids. Talking on a cell phone while driving is somewhat distracting but texting is far worse. I hope these apps become standard on all phones as OEM content. And it's not just kids - too many "mini-van moms" are seen cruising through parking lots with their devices in hand looking down at those 5-10 mph speeds. It's not just texting, though. It's smartphones displaying applications like Facebook. You can be using a smart phone, not texting, but totally involved in scrolling through facebook, tumblr, etc. Self-indulgence has no limits. You can block texting but what you do have to block is "application access to all interactive apps".
The moment that automakers installed a radio in a car we have seen an increase in distracted driving. Why should it stop with cell phones and texting? Advertisers rule, and your attention is what they want so get used to it.

Rather than blocking text and phone calls I would like to experiment with a different approach. Disable the vehicle for 5 minutes after every text or call. This allows you to make and receive calls and texts, especially important ones, while traveling, but just requires you to immediately exit traffic and take care of the important issue and have time to refocus on the task of driving before you resume your travels. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My intention wasn't to start a philosophical debate about the use of smart phones in vehicles. I was just wondering if there was a decent app I could put on my daughter's cell phone. The ones I have looked at rely on the user to set up the phone for a preset time or require the user to turn on when they get in the vehicle. I read somewhere that if AT&T was the carrier, they have a feature you can activate (for a nominal monthly fee). I'll check this out and post what I find.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My intention wasn't to start a philosophical debate about the use of smart phones in vehicles. I was just wondering if there was a decent app I could put on my daughter's cell phone. The ones I have looked at rely on the user to set up the phone for a preset time or require the user to turn on when they get in the vehicle. I read somewhere that if AT&T was the carrier, they have a feature you can activate (for a nominal monthly fee). I'll check this out and post what I find.
I don't have an iPhone any more but I think there is an iOS app that disables txt notifications while the phone is connected to the car's bluetooth. This allows handsfree phone calls and suppresses texting at the same time.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I don't have an iPhone any more but I think there is an iOS app that disables txt notifications while the phone is connected to the car's bluetooth. This allows handsfree phone calls and suppresses texting at the same time.
So she'll just unpair her phone and keep texting.

I think we need to take the long view. People who text while driving have a measurably lower chance of living long enough to procreate. I think I already see this effect with unhelmeted motorcyclists. I haven't seen MC gang colors on the road in over a year.

My only regret is the innocent passengers and other-car drivers who are put at risk.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

I'm someone who is quite anti-texting and see the pathological issues behind the "instant need to respond" by watching people on the subway in NYC and also my own kids. SNIP.

Funny, but I think of calling as instant response demanded, and texting as get back to me when you can (just with higher priority than say email). I see no point in texting while driving.. I know I can answer that later.
The issues is not texting ro talking, its the split attention which either can cause. The deeper issue is some people's inability to resist doing things they should not.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Funny, but I think of calling as instant response demanded, and texting as get back to me when you can (just with higher priority than say email). I see no point in texting while driving.. I know I can answer that later.
The issues is not texting ro talking, its the split attention which either can cause. The deeper issue is some people's inability to resist doing things they should not.
True, but there is also a psychological conditioning with kids these days to the opposite. They think that "if I don't respond right away, the other party will think I'm ignoring them." This is pretty much prevalent across the board with high-frequency texters. Phychologists found that taking a cell phone away from a young teen is as hard on them as if you told them that their friends were dead.

Anyway - I think kids will disable or get around any blocking apps that parents put on their phones. The place this needs to exist is in the hardware manufacturers. Just like Volts disable the input of text into the Nav while moving - phones that have gps in them could possibly have text disabled while moving. but, you don't know if the person is a passenger or a driver. It's really hard to do. Texting is currently the #1 addiction in the USA (in my view, anyway).

I will say outright - the worst decision in parenting that I allowed to happen was getting my kids cell phones when they were 14. I had the typical feedback from my wife and kids basically that "that's how kids communicate these days...". I still shake my head over the idea that kids "have to" have a cell phone. But we've been conditioned to think this is important to get in touch with them.

The best way to address a person's actions is through cooperative therapy sessions where the person knows why they are trying to change. An application to block texting is not going to stop it. Conditioning the individual not to do it - that is how you stop it. If you have a health insurance program at work - you have access to therapy sessions for the person in question. Absolutely nothing wrong with coaching sessions or even deeper levels of treatment for the child or the whole family, in fact.

One thing I've told my son (17) is that if he is ever in an accident due to text or phone usage and it's proven, he will be losing all future car access, be taken off the car insurance and we will drive him to work. Until he goes to college where he will not have a car during 4 years of school. Then, if he wants a car during or after college, he will pay for it entirely on his own. He also signed a no text/talk driving pledge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts