GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to have their APM (Auxilary Power Module) replaced in their gen 1 Volt? Some people have referred to this as the "trunk inverter" based on it's location.
The background:
Within the Gen 1 Volt's there have been THREE different APM modules supplied by GM, all referred to by GM by the same part number. These are all manufactured by TDK. Early on, the part number was MSE465D. Then they changed it to part number MSE716. Electrically, and CAN network control wise, the two were interchangeable. However mechanically, they were completely incompatible as the connectors were incompatible. At some point in time GM started shipping the MSE716 as the ONLY replacement APM. Thus if your Volt had a MSE465D, I can only assume you had to get a replacement from a junk yard because you The MSE465D was not available NEW and the MSE716 would not fit. Finally, GM started shipping the third model, the MSE716S when you ordered one as a NEW replacement. The MSE716 and the MSE716S are mechanically identical, however, they are NOT interchangeable. Installing a MSE716S into a vehicle causes the APM to report data on the CAN bus but it will NOT charge the 12V battery.
I have not yet seen a MSE716S "in the wild" installed in a vehicle and I've looked in vehicles as new as mid 2013 models. I'm wondering if there is a possibility that the S version is only sold as a replacement part and was never installed on a production vehicle. There is a repair service bulletin out stating that the MSE465D cannot be replaced with a MSE716, but I've not found anywhere of a solution to the problem either, well, to clarify, a NEW solution, other than using a junk yard part. I have no idea what a dealer would have to do to replace one under warranty, if there was no new replacement part that was available? You can swap them from one vehicle to another, there is no VIN number or other security required. I'll post some pictures of the three different versions in a later post.
The gen 2 Volt's are completely different fyi.

Brian

·
Registered
601 Posts
Is is easy to determine (without taking everything apart) which APM is used in your Volt?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The APM is found under the trunk carpet. I don't think you need any special tools to get access to it.
Model years 2012 and older use the MSE465D
Model years 2013 until at least 6-2014 use the MSE716
I have not had access to any Chevy Volt gen 1's newer than 6-2014 to verify which APM model is in them.
This is what my question is here, Does anyone have a Volt built after 6-2014, and does it have the MSE716 or the MSE716S?
Thus far, GM is only selling the MSE716S as the replacement part for ALL model year Gen 1 Volts.

Some differences noted from tests that I completed personally:
MSE465D MSE716
Weight 11.8lbs 9.11lbs
[email protected] 165A 135A
[email protected] 2.3KW 1.9KW

I believe I've attached three pictures, one of the MSE465D, one of the MSE716 and one of the nameplate on the MSE716S.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Model years 2013 until at least 6-2014 use the MSE716

FWIW: The MY2013 Gen1 I have came equipped with a MSE465D APM pictured above and has never been changed...

Volt 2kW Accessory Power Module DC-DC CONVERTER

Folks linked above would sell you an APM compatible w/the Gen1 Volt but it wouldn't be cheap!

VOLT ACCESSORY POWER MODULE USER GUIDE

Some info concerning this K1 APM in the Volt if you wish to reverse-engineer!;)

Guess with the info you provided the MSE465D > MSE716 due to the larger amperage handling capability!?:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somms:
What month in 2013 was your Volt with the MSE465D manufactured? The manufacture date can be found on the drivers door pillar. Your particular APM and manufacture date will give me a better data point on just exactly WHEN in 2013 they made the change to the MSE716. As to the link to the EVTV web site and documentation, some of the data that they have I provided to THEM, including the efficiency study and wiring diagram with my name on it. I can assure you that if you order one from EVTV you will NOT receive a MSE716S (at least as of this posting). I do not know how many NEW MSE716 models EVTV has in stock. After they are gone then they will have to resort to used ones from salvaged Volt's unless we can get the MSE716S to work. If you plug a MSE716S into any Volt, it will not work. This is why I started the thread, to see if anybody had theirs replaced, and what did the dealer have to do to make it work? The dealers around here I've talked to have no idea. If your MSE465D failed under warranty, the replacement part would be the MSE716S, but A: it wouldn't fit, and B: it wouldn't work. Could GM replace it under warranty with a used one from a junk yard?
Thank you for your response, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

FYI, if any Volt owners have their APM fail, and they are out of warranty, I would suggest buying one from a salvage yard as they are plug and play as long as you get the same model.

Brian

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

My Volt build date is August 2012 and of course the K1 APM installed appears to be older having a manufactured date code of 42nd day of 2012.

Glad to know these APMs are built rather bullet-proof as I do not believe anyone has reported their APMs on the Gen1 failing yet here on these forums!;)

·
4,852 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread! Anyone have similar data for the Gen 2 Volt's APM?

In looking at pictures, I believe its model is the MSE718B

Also, I found this nifty document for the Gen 1 APM:
http://media3.ev-tv.me/VoltAPMUserGuide.pdf

The Gen2 Volt APM, to my knowledge, provides 130A at 12VDC, unlike the Gen1 Volt which provides 180A at 12VDC. This is per the service manuals, after looking at each model year from 2012 through 2017.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know MSE465 can be replaced with MSE465D ? Can I do it without touching main breaker but just unplug 12v?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was involved with gathering some of the tests and documentation on the above mentioned evtv document. Regardless of what is published in any GM manual here is the reality:
MSE465D can provide 165A at 14V
MSE716 can provide 135A at 14V
I personally tested these DC-DC converters outside the vehicle to gather this empirical data.

I am unfamiliar with the MSE465 (without the D)
The MSE716S has been claimed by GM to be the new replacement part for ALL GEN1 Volts although:
A: it is mechanically incompatible with the MSE465/MSE465D
B: It does not respond to any of the CAN commands that the MSE716 or MSE465D does. We are guessing that the dealer must upgrade the firmware in either the car or the MSE716S proir to installing it in a vehicle.

I have yet to have heard of ANY MSE716S being installed in any vehicle so we have no idea on how to get these to work. However there are a high number of MSE716 and MSE465D versions for sale used, so there are plenty of replacement parts available used so you don't have to go through your stealer for replacement parts.

A MSE465D should be a drop in replacement for a MSE465 but I have not verified this as I do not have a MSE465 on hand for testing.

I am not familiar with the model MSE718B for the gen2 Volt. Demand for EV conversion parts has dropped to near zero in the past year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are guessing that the dealer must upgrade the firmware in either the car or the MSE716S proir to installing it in a vehicle.
Thanks a lot for such detailed respond.
As you have mentioned about FW upgrade outside a car. Is there any such documented case or any FW in access for me to try to flash me bricked APM on the table?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Excellent question, but considering has a high voltage connection, will make sense to unplug 12v and then minutes later the high voltage battery...where is WOT ?.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For sure I will unplug 12v but even now GDS diagnostics show that input readiness conditions are not met and not feeding 350v to APM input. I even think if I would feed 350v to APM it will work.

Any chance to get FW somewhere to flash it directly?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today I have replaced my bricked MSE465 with MSE465D and it works well without any reprogramming .

Any ideas how to repair bricked APM? Maybe there is a damp of it's FW somewhere?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts