GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- some quick background. I bought my first Volt in 2015 - a lightly used lease return 2013 Gen1. Loved it so much that my wife took it over and I bought a second 2013 for myself.

Yesterday I sold my 2013 and purchased a one owner 2017 Premier with 35,850 miles on it. So I'm new to Gen2s and their quirks.

My question is are there any issues that I should have my local Volt tech look at before the warranty runs out? I do seem to have an issue with the bluetooth on my phone disconnecting and reconnecting constantly (Iphone 8). It did not do this in my Gen1.

I'm mostly wondering about issues like the BECM and HPCM software updates that may be needed. Will they hook it up and scan it for needed updates if I ask? I've also heard that some early '17s had issues with inverter programming causing full power loss events.

Please educate me on what a newb to Gen2s needs to know!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention that on our first short trip Saturday night we had a smoke smell that was definitely coming from the car.
Could have been brakes, could have been electrical. My nose isn't very good and my wife can't recognize the difference.

At first we thought it was some other car, but it stayed with us to our destination that was 5 miles or so from where we first smelled it.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
What was the outside air temperature (OAT) when you took the trip on Saturday. Define short, did you use the gas engine at all for any part of the trip when you noticed the smell?

If the gas engine was used then check for oil leaks, coolant leaks or excess fluids that were spilled on the engine manifold. If the vehicle sat for a time it could be that a rodent built a nest close to the exhaust manifold or catalytic converter and what you noticed burning.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jcanoe- the outside air temp was about 28F.

The trip was only about 21 miles, but the car only had 8 miles when we left because the dealer didn't charge it. So the motor ran for most of the trip.

Thinking about it - the car was sitting on the dealer lot for 64 days, so it is very likely that it is related. When we test drove it the engine only ran in ERDTT. Never fully warmed up and loaded.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
684 Posts
The smoke smell is coming from the engine and it is normal for the first few hours of running. This has been widely reported on the G2 and it will go away on its own.

·
Registered
806 Posts
A few things to check:

Emissions Recall:
There is an emissions-related recall which involves I believe a fuel evaporator line. This will cause a MIL if the line gets punctured.

Software Updates:
There are a number of software and programming updates to fix things like an engine misfire/pop noise when accelerating from a stop with the ICE running.

Oil Pan:
Some G2's have an issue with an oil pan seal which causes an oil drip. When I saw it on my car it was a few drips per night in my driveway.

As other mentioned, the burning smell appears to be common (at least I have it on mine). Seems to happen more when the ICE is not used for a while.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this should be epic. When I registered the car on MyChevrolet it shows the B2B warranty expiring at 36030 miles.

After driving into work this morning The car shows 36010 miles. Google maps says it is 19.5 miles to the dealer where I have an appointment later this morning!!

Thanks for the suggestions. After reading the Gen2 sticky thread about smells I feel a little better about the car!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Made it with 5 miles to spare.

The tech updated the infotainment software. They said all the other firmware was updated and there were no recalls needing to be done.

Service writer says they call cases like mine “warrantitus”. Lol. I guess I’m not alone. He’s actually seen a customer make it with *one tenth* of a mile left!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts