GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is it possible the button on the remote got pressed by accident? If windows can be opened that way, I imagine the charge door could as well.
(Does the volt let you open it while in drive?)

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Perhaps your latch is off a bit? It does not happen to my 2011. If it keeps happening visit the dealer for warranty work.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible the button on the remote got pressed by accident? If windows can be opened that way, I imagine the charge door could as well.
(Does the volt let you open it while in drive?)
I think that is it! Just yesterday, I wanted to get the key fob out of my front pocket (don't like the bulk), so I started hanging it from a carabiner on my belt loop. (see image below) So I'll bet I'm sitting on it and that button is being pressed. I didn't even realize that there was such a button on the remote. :-(

·
Registered
145 Posts
i was going to suggest accidental fobbage too. It's happened to me once, but almost certainly because I put the phone down on top of the fob.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
"accidental fobbage". Great description, Modimum!

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been a victim of accidental fobbage regarding the charge port door, too - I keep my fob in my pocket all the time, so depending on how it sits in my pocket, and what else is in there, it sometimes gets pressed unknowingly.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I used to get a "Charge Door Open" warning on the dash even though the charge door was closed. I think there's even a service bulletin on this. The dealer fixed it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have seen this happen twice, but am not sure why. I agree that it is feasible to be accidental fobbage, but it is also possible to be related to the rumble strips as one poster described. The last time it happened, I was on a highway under construction where they diverted us into the shoulder and on the rumble strips for a while.

I think I will have to put the fob on the seat to insure no fobbage and then head for the rumble strips.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was fobbage (butt dialing) in my case when it's happened. Partly because it never happened in winter, when the fob has it's own inside-coat zippered breast pocket. But it happens in summer when the fob is in my pants pocket. Of course, there's also those times when I just don't shut it well when I leave, but then I always see the message on the first bump out of my driveway (and it's telling the truth, it's open).

I recently had the opposite problem. Door wouldn't open without a little help from a fingernail. I dry lubed it all with moly disulphide (better than graphite for this) - that spring is pretty weak, and it's easy to see where the plastic on plastic rub where the release pin rubs causing that one - makes the plastic rougher and more frictional, and that spring is "elegantly weak" so the door doesn't open too hard.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I had accidental fobbage one time. I was in the dentist office lobby and looked out and noticed all my windows were down. I was sitting on it and hit/held the unlock button - which auto opens all windows.

·
Registered
718 Posts

yes, happens all the time, (happens more on bumpy roads, gravel roads, pot holes, speed bumps, etc)

but sometimes will open even on perfectly flat roads. (and no, my key is not in my pocket, or was accidentally touched)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I had it happen once on my 2012, and it wasn't fobbage. I was accelerating through an on-ramp that curved to the right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On my 2013 mine pops open every now and then - worse is when it won't open - especially in the rain, late at night, or when the mosquitoes are swarming, etc - somehow with the coming winter cold-n-ice I'm going to have to cope - for me when it pops open during driving its not because I got Fobulated (the Fob was in the empty cup holder).

I've noticed that the molded rubber door gasket doesn't always return to the same original shape if depressed momentarily. The shape has to be pretty stable to not rub the Charge Port Socket to either prevent the door from fully closing or later cling to the socket and prevent the gentle door spring from opening the door when released.

When the door is stuck I have to depress just below the horizontal center on the hinge side of the door as I depress the Fob's Charge Door Button and then Pull Out on the latch side just above the horizontal center line.

As near as I can tell the Charger Port Door is a bit too flexible while closing the door it can flex if closed by pressing too high or low from the horizontal center line. The Rubber Door Seal (boot) will grip the charge port wall (forming a seal quite nicely) and put a bias on the latch that will not relax to a desired Latch Position - thus a premature door opening or delinquent door open request. I've not tried anything like lubrication / surface prep on either the Door Seal or the Charge Port Cylinder walls inside or outside circumferences.

My Voltec 120V Charger has a nice snug (makes me worry about eventual damage to the Car's Port) fit.

When I'm out looking for a Free Drink of Juice at the area car dealers using their public chargers those chargers have a nice easy fit - however at one dealer they swore that their charger was broken - but I'd be welcome to try it - their ChargePoint Charger with an easy fit just didn't light the usual temporary Amber Dash LED - I tried it several times when I noticed that the 'Release Trigger' wasn't providing the full travel to allow the latch finger to drop fully down and trip the Trigger Latch Seated switches in the Handle and Charge Port - there was some grit in the Trigger Linkage Channel from having been dropped on the ground or kicked up by the Lawn Care Folks - cleared and it worked fine.

Overall the design of the Charge Port Door (I like the sweet pop-open motion dampening) is a bit of a worry - I had my 2013 treated with that Protective Film Package for the Head Lights, Bumper, Front Hood, Side View Mirrors, Door Cups, Gas Port and Charge Port. I'm looking forward to seeing how the film holds up to the constant pressing it closed when its coated with road grime.

I've seen elsewhere on this forum where some folks have had their dealer to a replacement at the first sign of problems with the Charge Port or Gas Fill Doors. I don't know if what I've seen is a Design or Workmanship or Materials issue - I'm still collecting observations on Driver Behaviors and Door Behavior Incidents looking for a correlation that points to needing a door replaced. I've noticed that if the door pops open during a drive that if I hit the 'DIC Rotating Button's Center Select Button' that the Charge Door Open Message will clear so I can see the desired DIC Performance Status Messages until I get a safe chance to close it again.

So far in abt 2K miles I've never opened the Gas Door and it looks like it may be not until the gas age limit is reached and I'm forced to add fresh gas in about a year from now. . . . Where is that gas door at . . . I forget . . . (-;

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Mine popped open by itself several times. It happened to my dealer while in for service, it was subsequently replaced under warranty. My Volt has had no other issues in 34 months of ownership.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine has popped open a few times, usually within a mile of leaving. If I make a point of closing it *firmly* then it doesn't happen. It is not accidental button pushing in my case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts