GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With our previous "normal" cars we've been using all season tires for years. Is anyone out there using all season tires all the time on their Gen 2? Just curious what the impact has been to your overall electric and gas range. Thanks!

Registered
The Volt IS a normal car: 4 wheels. I've also only used all season tires. If you've managed with all season tires in the past, you will manage with the Volt. In my area, the road crews are excellent. If there is a Nor-easter happening, I stay home.

Registered
With our previous "normal" cars we've been using all season tires for years. Is anyone out there using all season tires all the time on their Gen 2? Just curious what the impact has been to your overall electric and gas range. Thanks!
All-season tires are not all the same. The Gen 2 Volt comes equipped with Michelin EnergySaver A/S tires. The EnergySaver is a good tire for most driving conditions but it is not the best all season tire for winter driving. The tire compound is too hard to have good grip on snow and ice covered roads. Can you drive in light snow using the EnergySaver tires, sure. You can also switch to winter tires that have much better control and stopping ability. In a typical winter here in Maryland we get overall an average of 14 inches of snow. My solution is to stay off the roads whenever there is snow, sleet or ice. I could have the best winter tires and AWD but it would not account for the other drivers on the road. I prefer to skip driving in snow.

The Volt has limited ground clearance, if you drive in snow over ~4 inches deep the Volt's front air dam will tend to plow the snow ahead of the Volt. The Volt's weight, weight distribution and low center of gravity are helpful when driving on snow. The Volt's traction control works well. Regenerative braking is can be tricky on snow and ice covered roads as when the Volt detects loss of traction on either front wheel regen will disengage, this can momentarily feel like you have lost braking ability. Some have stated that driving in L when driving on snow provides better control when slowing, braking than driving in D. Drive too fast on snow and ice in either D or L and the result will be the same; you will likely end up in a ditch.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone out there is using regular all season tires instead of the Michelin A/S tires, could you tell me how it has effected your overall mileage? Thanks!

Registered
Why would you want to go to a non LRR tire? The issue has been discussed here several times. You WILL lose several miles of electric range.
My mom's CR-V came with LRR tires, and my dad replaced them with non LRR tires last year. They immediately noticed the gas mileage dropped by 10% or more.

I'd suggest the Continental TrueContacts. They are cheaper than the Michelins, and have better snow and rain traction, along with comparable efficiency.

Registered
Why would you want to go to a non LRR tire? The issue has been discussed here several times. You WILL lose several miles of electric range.
My mom's CR-V came with LRR tires, and my dad replaced them with non LRR tires last year. They immediately noticed the gas mileage dropped by 10% or more.

I'd suggest the Continental TrueContacts. They are cheaper than the Michelins, and have better snow and rain traction, along with comparable efficiency.
Safety. With the snowy season starting to come upon us I have been looking to swap my current tires (stock) with Nokian snow tires. I expect I'll lose some range but for my daily driving that won't be a problem (I typically put on no more than 10 miles each day).

Registered
Safety. With the snowy season starting to come upon us I have been looking to swap my current tires (stock) with Nokian snow tires. I expect I'll lose some range but for my daily driving that won't be a problem (I typically put on no more than 10 miles each day).
OP was asking about using all season tires. Obviously snow tires are a completely different animal. And by the way, you can get LRR snow tires.

I was hoping the number would not be that high. Was thinking the ride might be a little cushier. :)
Search through the different tire reviews here. I think some of the other tires people have used have given a better ride. The softer the ride is, the more range you are going to lose though (in most cases).

Registered
OP was asking about using all season tires. Obviously snow tires are a completely different animal. And by the way, you can get LRR snow tires.
I wasn't responding to the OP. I was responding to your question:

Why would you want to go to a non LRR tire?

Registered
I wasn't responding to the OP. I was responding to your question:

Why would you want to go to a non LRR tire?
But my question was in response to the OPs request for info on "regular all season tires"

Registered
Michelin X-Ice XI3
We use those on 16" rims in the winter. They work well, but I don't know how much the range is affected compared to the OE tires.

Whatever range we may lose is well worth it for safer winter driving here in Minnesota.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Registered
Are you truly making it by on 3 season tires? You aren鈥檛 in anyone else鈥檚 way spinning tires or sliding anywhere? Because where I鈥檓 from you can tell within 30 seconds of someone鈥檚 driving if they have 3 season tires or snow tires.

Registered
Are you truly making it by on 3 season tires? You aren鈥檛 in anyone else鈥檚 way spinning tires or sliding anywhere? Because where I鈥檓 from you can tell within 30 seconds of someone鈥檚 driving if they have 3 season tires or snow tires.
I don't have any problems running all seasons all year in NH. I've been driving on snow and ice for years. As long as there isn't more than a couple inches on the road, I don't have any problems. The TrueContacts have excellent snow traction for all seasons.

Registered
I'll never go back to all-seasons for winter driving. It's a big investment for wheels, winter tires and sensors but to me it's money well spent if you have no choice but to be out in the slippery stuff.

Registered
I'll never go back to all-seasons for winter driving. It's a big investment for wheels, winter tires and sensors but to me it's money well spent if you have no choice but to be out in the slippery stuff.
That鈥檚 why they should be referred to as 3 season tires.

Registered
That鈥檚 why they should be referred to as 3 season tires.
I agree. The Volt is my 4th car in a row with dedicated snows on their own rims. This is going back to 1992.

It's more money to be sure, but I am only putting wear on one set of tires at a time, so they last longer. It keeps the OE rims looking nicer longer. Winter is hard on rims in Minnesota.

Also I always try to go -1 on the rim size, which reduces the chance of damage from all the potholes. More sidewall is a good thing in the winter. It helps with ride comfort too when our roads are at their worst.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts