GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing chrome delete and blacking out the bowties. The back one is easy, but I have a 2017 Volt with ACC and the front one seems to be under a piece of plastic or something. Is there a way to access the bowtie so I can put vinyl on it or dip it? Anyone try this?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The front bowtie is on ACC radar transmitter/receiver. Anything added can reduce or disable the ACC performance. Do so at your own risk.

Check a non ACC vehicle front end and you will see the difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The plastic piece covering the center radar seems to be constructed similar to a headlight in that the clear plastic is sealed over the flat bowtie. One would assume that a similar approach that is done with headlights to "bake them" to open them up could be done for this piece and then the gold bowtie would be able to be painted and then resealed back on. I'm not willing to try this theory on the only center piece I have, so I've been searching up and down for the part number of just that center plastic piece to no avail. The parts fiche do not show an explicit SKU for that piece at all. Only thing I've seen is the full front grill for $300+. No luck so far in on-line searches of salvage yards either.

If you have any luck finding out this SKU, please share.

FrontGrille.JPG

Now, all that said, what I have ended up doing for now is going with the plastidip satin white aluminum and it does a good job of matching the existing color of the stock grille (albeit a bit more matte than glossy)

Photo Jun 04, 7 47 12 PM (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd not have covered your radar panel with an aluminum based paint. Somewhat specialized paints are needed with radar. How does it perform now that you've done so?

·
Registered
118 Posts
No problems at all. The only time I've run into an issue (that I've experienced since I have had this dipped) is in an absolute torrential downpour storm the ACC became unavailable. It was one of the worst rain pours that I've driven in with this vehicle (or any vehicle in a long time) so I'm not sure if that's par for the course or something to do with the extra layer of dip. Earlier this year, before I had the grill dipped, I had lost ACC a few times in sleet/snow as it caked onto the front grill.

Now, I'm not sure if the the vehicle allowing ACC is only dependent upon the radar in the grille or if it needs the cameras in the windshield to have a clear view as well. If it does need the cameras as well, then that explains the inability to ACC in the hard rain and snow.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Now, I'm not sure if the the vehicle allowing ACC is only dependent upon the radar in the grille or if it needs the cameras in the windshield to have a clear view as well. If it does need the cameras as well, then that explains the inability to ACC in the hard rain and snow.
That is a great question. My wifes '16 doesn't have ACC (radar) *BUT* has a Driver Info Cluster display that shows the distance in seconds to the car ahead of it. This has to be the cameras making that estimation. Haha, I could cover the camera with painters tape and verify that that display doesn't work ("--") but certainly it won't.

Perhaps with radar GM uses radar distances at primary and camera distance estimations as secondary/confirmation/validation.

Other car manufacturers use cameras as primary and radar distance estimations as secondary/confirmation/validation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The camera may very well be part of that distance system, because my car has it too, but has driver confidence II and no ACC. I think the follow distance in seconds feature is part of driver confidence II.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Most owner's manuals warn against using any kind of cruise control in rainy or slick road conditions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did it about 1 ½ years ago with no problems regarding the ACC. HOWEVER, I did NOT paint it. I think the best method is to go to a vinyl wrap shop and either have them cut a bowtie (I chose silver to match my grill color and the Silver Ice paint job) slightly larger in all proportions that the Chevy yellow one. Then clean the clear coated OEM bowtie surface with hot water. Lay your new custom colored bowtie on the wet OEM surface and position accurately. Then overlay a piece of clear 3M bra material on the surface (either cut to size before positioning or trim later with an X-Acto blade after everything dries out and is solid. The clear overlay should hold everything together and hasn't interfered with my ACC at all. My bowtie looks great and matches the rest of the front end.

Thinking about doing chrome delete and blacking out the bowties. The back one is easy, but I have a 2017 Volt with ACC and the front one seems to be under a piece of plastic or something. Is there a way to access the bowtie so I can put vinyl on it or dip it? Anyone try this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did it about 1 ½ years ago with no problems regarding the ACC. HOWEVER, I did NOT paint it. I think the best method is to go to a vinyl wrap shop and either have them cut a bowtie (I chose silver to match my grill color and the Silver Ice paint job) slightly larger in all proportions that the Chevy yellow one. Then clean the clear coated OEM bowtie surface with hot water. Lay your new custom colored bowtie on the wet OEM surface and position accurately. Then overlay a piece of clear 3M bra material on the surface (either cut to size before positioning or trim later with an X-Acto blade after everything dries out and is solid. The clear overlay should hold everything together and hasn't interfered with my ACC at all. My bowtie looks great and matches the rest of the front end.
I am getting some emblems blacked out tomorrow and this is what the shop guys recommended. I am probably going to go with this and hopefully it works out! Thank you to everyone else. I’m sure this is a pain in the ass for everyone else who can’t stand the gold. Not a huge deal for me but would be nice to get that gold off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So were you able to open the plastic up and put the overlay on the actual bowtie, under the plastic cover? Or, did you put it directly over the plastic on the outside surface? I'm curious if you did get it under the plastic cover how difficult it was to get that cover off.

Don't suppose you have a photo you can share? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts